04/13/2010 09:17PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB

authors avatar
Stock Front and Rear Suspension
Posted by: TBailey
Date: April 16, 2010 09:26PM

Hi,

Just starting on my '79 model MGB. I am planning a 302 swap and would like to install a C4 tranny. I am curious if someone might comment as to whether I may be able to utilize the factory suspension components if I were to use new performance bushings throughout on them. I am also curious if there is a source for replacement spindles for the stock A-arms that would allow for a 5 lug wheel.

Looking forword to contributing as this project takes shape!
Thanks,
Todd

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Stock Front and Rear Suspension
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 17, 2010 04:57AM

Welcome to the forum Todd!

If you like the stock suspension, keep it. Your new engine won't change your car's weight or weight distribution all that dramatically - so it will work about the same after the engine swap as it works now. Fresh bushings will help.

Note that later rubber-bumper MGB's start out rather high, so most people lower them with shorter front springs and with aluminum lowering blocks at the rear. Neither approach is particularly elegant, but there are alternatives. Lower center-of-gravity is always a good thing, but you should try to achieve it with minimal addition of bump-steer effect, axle-tramp, etc. Note also that if original lever-arm shocks are truly in good repair, the advantage of telescoping shocks is generally marginal and anyhow not all telescoping shock conversion kits are created equal.

Better suspension designs / components are available, but you can upgrade your suspension(s) at a later date. That said, the FastCars front suspension has a couple noteworthy advantages that are especially relevant to someone starting a Ford V8 swap: the FastCars crossmember provides superior clearance for the Ford oil pan, the FastCars front suspension is available with motor mounts for the Ford engine pre-installed onto it, and the suspension's light weight helps offset the relatively high weight of the Ford engine. You can also buy it with 5-lug hubs pre-installed.

Quote:
I am also curious if there is a source for replacement spindles for the stock A-arms that would allow for a 5 lug wheel.

I think Bill Guzman at Classic Conversions still offers 5-lug front hub conversion kits. (Your spindles would remain unchanged.)

Contact info for these outstanding vendors can be found in our vendor directory, which you can access from the "Contacts" navigation menu at the top of the page. Please mention you found them on the BritishV8 website!

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: April 18, 2010 12:59PM

Yes we still have the aluminum hubs with aluminum rotor hats
DSC01875.JPG

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 18, 2010 09:35PM

Todd -- welcome.

In addition to fastcars, Pete Mantell (Mantell Motorsports) now has a kit for 302 swaps too. His kit includes the crossmember (stock crossmember modified for 302 oil pan clearance + motor mounts added), headers, & tranny cross member. If you use Ted's IFS with 302 mounts, you'll have to clip the corners of the firewall (cut a piece out on each side of the heater shelf & weld in new metal). It's not hard to do, but I think you avoid having to with Pete's kit (check w/him to be sure). Note, I'm not steering you away from the FastCars IFS, I have it on my car -- just noting the difference in work to do the swap.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: April 25, 2010 02:53PM

You wont have a problem using stock suspension and rear axle with this engine regarding power handling.
The 1800 Salisbury rear axle ratio is way too high for top speed. But its a strong unit as it has the same shafts etc.
You should think about fitting the V8 ratio axle though. D&D do a drop in 10 bolt rear axle which might be a GOOD UPGRADE.

I replaced all stock rubber bushes with blue poly bushes and mine has held up fine for the last 3 years with lots of heavy abuse.

There are lots of after market kits that will get your ride height to where you want it. My MGB axle is handling over 500 ft/lbs ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.