(7 posts)

03/27/2010 11:47AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GT OE

Steering Wheel
Posted by: 73GT
Date: April 19, 2010 01:28PM

Hello All,
I'm looking at changing the steering wheel on m 73. Grant has a couple wheels that I think would look nice but I'm having a heck of a time finding a hub that will fit properly. Has anyone accomplished this job recently/at all and can they give me some recommendations? Should I look for a weld on option? What shaft size? HELP! I've talked to tech lines for summit, grant, and momo. All to no avail.
Tony

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Steering Wheel
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 19, 2010 02:45PM

From what I've been able to find out it seems that Grant no longer makes an adaptor for the steering column spline on a 73 MG. Depending on the wheel you want to use and it's bolt pattern you might be able to use the adaptor for some other brand such as Tourist Trophy etc or you can make your own adaptor to adapt from the original '73 hub to another wheel. You'll have to sacrifice your original hub as it must be modified to work with an adaptor ring. I did mine on a '73 Midget wheel, but the hubs are the same for the B. I machined an aluminum disc 1/2" thick and drilled it for the original six bolts that held the MG wheel to the hub and counter sunk those holes. Then I drilled and tapped it for the six mounting holes for the Moto Lita wheel I wanted to use. I had the mounting kit for it but for another spline so only used the outer ring beneath that fit beneath the wheel.

DSCF0205.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 02:46PM by Bill Young.
Steeringavatar.jpg

73GT
Anthony Pregent
Northern Virginia
(7 posts)

03/27/2010 11:47AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GT OE

Posted by: 73GT
Date: April 23, 2010 02:22PM

Thanks for the input Bill. Any ideas on where to get a piece of aluminum like that?
Tony

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 23, 2010 04:35PM

Tony, we have a place here in KC that sells metal by the foot so picking up a piece for that was easy. If you don't have such a source locally I'd try places that deal in scrap aluminum, maybe they'd sell you a small piece. You'll need something about 1/2" thick and approximately 6" x 6". I marked the center of mine and drew the outside circle and the mounting hole radius on with a compass and then cut the inside hole with a hole saw in my drill press. Then I used a band saw to do the outside and finished it up on my disc sander. If you have access to a lathe then it's a lot easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.