Maryland, USA
(47 posts)

10/23/2007 07:43PM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V8 conversion Rover 4.0 fuel injected

running on
Posted by: jimbb88
Date: May 03, 2010 11:36PM

A friend of mine has a stock 1978 MGB that often will not shut off when the ignition is turned off. This is not uncommon with late model MG's and is caused by a wiring anomoly allowing the alternator to back feed and provide an ignition source.

I have forgotton the simple solution which involved adding a diode to the alternator wiring. Hoprefully, someone remembers what wire to cut, what diode.

Remember, this is a stock Lucas alternator.

Max, Dan, are you out there?

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: running on
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 04, 2010 07:19PM

From Lloyd Faust:

The diode goes in the ign light wire....brown/yellow....pointing towards the alternator.

I have never used this method.....changed the routing of the white/brown wire from the fuse box to the ignition relay...but I guess the diode works as well.

##############################################################

From Paul Hunt:

Adding a diode is a bit of a frig and removes one of the diagnostic features of the ignition warning light. This problem only occurs if there is something wrong with the emissions plumbing or anti-runon valve wiring. If the emissions system is still fitted then the problem with this should be investigated first, I suggest.

The problem was corrected immediately on UK cars as they didn't have the valve to stop the engine in lieu of switching off the ignition. Originally for 1978 this was done by moving the white warning light wire from the ignition switch i.e. the ignition relay winding (which is the source of the current to keep the relay operated). But for 1979 they made another change, this time because they were having problems with ignition relays sticking on for other reasons, they moved the coil connection from the ignition relay contact to its winding. This would have done the job on its own i.e. without moving the ignition warning light wire, as is the easiest change to make.

I'm pretty sure that the white/brown wire comes from the ignition relay to the fusebox, with a second white/brown wire in the same spade connector teeing off which is feeding the coil. There should be a separate white/brown spade connector beide the first, which again I'm pretty sure feeds the cooling fans via an in-line fuse. If this is the case then you will have to cut one of the white/browns at the spade connector that contains two wires, and see if that is the feed from the relay or the fed to the coil.

If it is the one for the coil you are in luck, simply move that to the white on the ignition relay which should be terminal C1 or 87, and push the other wire with its original spade connector back onto the fusebox. Even though the current through the ignition warning light will still be there, the low resistance of the coil will pull the voltage down below that at which the ignition relay can remain operated.

If the wire you have cut off is the feed from the relay, you will have to fit a new spade to that and put it back on the fusebox, and conenct the other wire to the white at the relay.

If you find the single wire is the one that is feeding the coil, then simply connect that to the white on the relay.

jimbb88
Jim Stuart
Maryland, USA
(47 posts)

10/23/2007 07:43PM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V8 conversion Rover 4.0 fuel injected

Posted by: jimbb88
Date: May 04, 2010 10:52PM

Paul/Lloyd-

I think I understand, but I need to see the car to be sure.

Thanks-

EHenrichsen
Erik Henrichsen
Maryland
(4 posts)

05/05/2010 09:17PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: EHenrichsen
Date: May 05, 2010 09:33PM

Jim,

I can send you a photo of the diode that Tim installed on my MGB back in '94, but it seems that your email address
has changed.

Regards, Erik

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 06, 2010 11:31AM

why not just post the photo here?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.