Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: Citron
Date: October 24, 2016 03:47PM

The u joints were replaced when the diff was changed. Seems to be short lived.
Anybody can make a bad part.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 30, 2016 02:46PM

Also needs the spring replaced for the carb flapper valve.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 07, 2016 12:44PM

We did a little maintenance to the car on Thursday. Replaced the speedo cable, rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder, and pulled the shifter to replace the shifter bushing. A local Mr. Transmission should have a new bushing today, that one had failed. One of the clamps for the speedo isn't tight yet, it's almost impossible to get at the inner thumbscrew. I'll give it another try but it may take someone with smaller hands to do that. We didn't test the speedo cable yet due to the shifter.

The clutch slave turned out to be a remarkably easy fix. It was a Wilwood pull cylinder and as expected the rod seal had failed. The hardest part of the job was bolting it back in and bleeding it, and we ended up using a small pump sprayer and a stopper to pressure bleed it from the top. The bleed hose has been relocated to the bottom because with the new fuel pressure regulator it no longer reaches an accessible spot on top.

The slave itself had a rear cap that screwed off rather easily, exposing a return spring and the butt end of the piston, all of which was bone dry. The piston had an o-ring seal. We pulled that out and used a pick to remove the o-ring shaft seal from the other end of the housing. Closest thing I had on hand was an injector o-ring which was smaller but much fatter so we tried that and the rod went in without very much fuss. So we buttoned it up and reassembled. Seems to work fine and has plenty of pedal so it looks like we are good. Soon as the shifter bushing comes in I'll finish that up and give it a test drive but I think we're good to go.

Unfortunately that comes a day late to take it to the local import car show that Matt found out about. We went over yesterday to watch, while Matt took his SBC/Jag and entered. Quite a turnout, they had a very entertaining Limbo competition and Matt pulled a 2nd place in the exhaust competition. Seemed like a fun crowd, if we get a chance to take the RM to one of those we'll definitely do it. That is the place where the youngsters hang out, and that is what we built this car do do. The RM isn't going to win the Limbo (Miatas always win and with the hardtop it is too tall) but it would have walked away smiling with the exhaust win.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 07, 2016 03:27PM

What was the winning Limbo height?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 08, 2016 01:03PM

It was a Miata three way tie actually. One had the suspension lowered to the point that the wheels looked funny, one had about a dozen guys riding on it, and there was a hard top that if they had removed the top they would have won. I didn't ask what the measurement was but maybe Matt would know.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 12, 2016 01:46AM

Currently the car is operational and I've run some errands with it. Very nice to drive. However, there are still some issues:
-The left front shock needs replaced. It will not hold oil for more than a couple days.
-Rear axle noise continues to get worse.
-I'm still waiting on Jim Watson before having the front tires replaced.

I haven't started on the A/C compressor mount yet. The lift has been tied up with other cars, but I hope to get something done next week. I also have to have another look at the speedometer cable as it still isn't working. Possibly not engaging the transmission gear.

We should consider building a replacement for the rear 3rd member. I have an almost new housing we can use. We would need a differential (Power-Lok preferred, about $300) a ring and pinion (Recommend Spicer gears, suggest a 3.08 or possibly 3.31 ratio, about another $300) and bearings, probably another $150 to $200. So we will need about $800 if I set up the 3rd member and we swap it out here. It will have to be done some time and it would be better if we take our time setting up the gears and have it ready before the car becomes undriveable. We may have a year or two but probably not much more depending on how much it is driven. We will undoubtedly have to ask for donations to cover the costs.

As VP/secretary I'm asking for comments about the front shock and the axle. It's not my place to make decisions about what we are going to do, but these strike me as maintenance issues and things that need to be resolved.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 18, 2016 04:26PM

Update on the driveline. Matt and I put the car on the lift and spun it up in 5th gear to look for vibrations and the good news is that there is no indication of any issues with the u-joints. The bad news is that the problem seems to be internal to the differential, as power delivery to the wheels was jerky and uneven. I held the driver's side wheel by hand to spin up the other wheel and could feel a sort of cogging effect, which I could also see on the other side when I allowed it to spin freely. My conclusion is that it would not be a good idea to make any long trips until this is fixed. I can think of three possibilities. A broken cross shaft, damaged spiders, or possibly the suspension was drooping far enough to bind one of the universal joints, but that still does not account for the vibration in right hand turns. I can continue to drive it locally until the problem gets worse and we can make a more positive diagnosis.

We also looked more closely at the speedo drive and concluded that the internal gear is not large enough to give adequate engagement to the driven gear. Perhaps the 2.88 gears have put us beyond the capacity of our drive gear and the tailshaft will have to come off to change it, IF a suitable set of gears are even available. They might not be. However, if we pull the tranny tailshaft to swap gears we might as well replace the 3rd gear synchro at the same time.

I have set up searches on ebay for a power lok posi and a 3.31 Spicer gear set, will advise if I find any good deals.

If Rick agrees that we should purchase a new shock I will follow up on that.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 23, 2016 01:21PM

The new shock is installed and the core dropped off at UPS for return. Everything went smoothly and without a hitch. Just as fast and easy as swapping a tube shock. Performance is just as expected.

Also, I had installed the correct spring on the carb's secondary air flapper (required removing the carb) and set it to it's max recommended tension which is 1 full turn. That seems to be working excellently as well, the car will rather easily break the rear tires loose from a roll in 1st gear. Definitely getting the secondaries open.

The air filter is crushed on the sides and won't allow the air cleaner to sit straight. It is a little oversized, so at some point we should research and obtain the correct air filter, to see if that will correct the problem. Application should be '67 Riviera and GS.

It will be necessary to pull the tailshaft and change to a larger diameter speedo drive gear. That job will be coming up before too long.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 27, 2017 04:27PM

A few of us decided that we were going to fit the Roadmaster with A/C. This is somewhat outside the remit of the overall will of the organization but permissible as a separately funded upgrade. So we are doing it.

Carl donated a complete dealer installed MGB A/C system:

IMG_0004.JPG

I donated a compressor and have just completed installing it:

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Expenses to-date not including the compressor or dealer kit are $200, including: compressor fitting, fan belt, radiator hose, and materials to complete the upper radiator hose connection. I put up the money for that but since neither Edith or I currently have jobs that's the best I can do.

To complete the install we will need hoses, lines, bulkhead fittings, drier, and probably a condenser. I know some have expressed an interest in contributing to the cost of installing an A/C system, and the hardest part is now complete. If you do wish to contribute please specify that it is for the A/C as otherwise it will go into the general fund.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 06:38PM by BlownMGB-V8.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 08, 2017 03:25PM

The A/C compressor install is now complete. The hood closes and there is clearance. The coil pack and edis module are relocated and wires re-routed. Upper radiator hose is re-routed. Both v-belts are the same part number, eliminating any need to carry a spare.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 03:27PM by BlownMGB-V8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: February 08, 2017 07:02PM

Sweet!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: February 21, 2017 02:24AM

Jim will this vent supply part be useful, It's supposed to be OEM from a dealer install to a new MGB, I'll donate it and send you a check.
IMG_5748.jpg
IMG_5749.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 21, 2017 02:34AM

just a reminder of my offer some months ago, I can drive RM one way to CA. If the A/C is fully functional that is. It'll be toasty in the SW desert!

I plan to drive to San Deigo leaving June 15th, 2017 to meet up with a group in Savannah, GA Mike Cook is part of that group and I'm expecting a few more modified MGs. Dick Lunney, Bob Lewis and I are organizing this adventure, and ya'll are most welcome to attend.

So here's an opportunity to to show RM on the west coast. I'll cover all the driving costs (we may need an emergency fund, just in case of a unscheduled repair) , as i'm already planning to drive my V6 MGBGT to the convention.

What say you? Anyone on the west coast want to host RM???????????

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 21, 2017 11:03AM

The car's been undergoing some maintenance. New synchros for 2nd and 3rd gear should arrive this week. I've had searches running on ebay for several months now watching for a deal on a PowerLok posi and a R&P set but so far no luck.

The speedo drive has been complicated by the rear axle ratio. No combination of available driving and driven gear for the T5 will make the MG speedo head read correctly. Closest I can come is 10% low and that is with a 9 tooth driving gear. 19T is the smallest driven gear available. (The 17T gear I found turned out to be for a different transmission, TH350 I think, and it is smaller and quickly wore out.)

Since the gears are noisy, I propose that we build another 3rd member to put in the car before sending it west, and that we use a 3.08 or 3.23 ratio so that we can make the speedo read correctly. However, we do not have the money in the treasury to do this. It will take probably about $800 and after paying for the synchros we probably only have about $700 left with no reserve.

I would not embark on a trans-continental trip with a car having the noisy gears of this one, so I think we will need to raise money first.

Jim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 21, 2017 10:36PM

Understand, the need for reliability, however, there is also the question of: Do any of our west coast RM associates want to host the car?

Let's give them a little time to speak up, but if there is no demand, I'd say the RM will likely stay put.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 26, 2017 02:27PM

Road test results:
The new synchros work as expected and the transmission now works as it should. Downshifting to 3rd is no different now from any other gear. It's a good thing I tore the T5 down though because the 2nd gear sychro was just about gone, it would have soon been giving us trouble. Aside from that, the tranny looked very very good inside. No significant signs of any wear or abuse that I could see. With shipping I think we spent about $120 doing this.

The speedo now works and is accurate. For how long I can't say though, as the cable is a loose fit in the speedo head shimmed with heat shrink and the driven gear is from a TH350 and is a bit small in diameter. But for now it's good. The problem is that we have the the largest gear inside that there is (9 tooth 1.8" dia.) and the smallest driven gear for the T5 is a 19 tooth, which gives us a 10% error (reading slow). The gear in there now is 17T but has a smaller diameter and may not hold up long term.

The gear noise in the rear end is bad. I drove it for a mile on the freeway today and was glad there was an exit. I'd prefer not to put any more freeway miles on it before we fix that. That could mean local events and trailering until we have a chance to take up a collection. We need about $800 to do it right.

I recommend we install a PowerLok and 3.23 or 3.08 gears. That will ease the speedo problem as well. We should get started on this right away, as building the 3rd member will take some time.

Jim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 05, 2017 09:59PM

Jim,

" We should get started on this right away," Do you have a suggestion? How to raise $$ now? email campaign?

PJ

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 06, 2017 12:14PM

The steering committee has concluded that the best approach at this time is to do the following in order:

Fix the speedo problem by installing a 1000 rev/mile unit donated by Graham Creswick, which will allow us to use about a 23 tooth gear on the cable, making the axle ratio problem essentially a non-issue.

Forgo the use of a posi for reasons of cost and driveability.

Inspect the spare Jag IRS I have here to see if the gears are in good nick, and if so, install that center section to address the gear whine issue. (It is unlikely I will want to use a 2.88 gear set in the future, but if I do it is the most common Jag ratio) I have no immediate plans for that unit.

That will hopefully get us out of the current pickle at a minimum of cost.

Also, PJ and others have suggested annual dues of $20 to help offset yearly costs. I support the idea and have suggested he propose a motion to that effect.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 08, 2017 04:55PM

Speedo is working again. Reads 1-2 mph slow at 70. Good enough. Has a slight wobble. We might be able to fix that if someone has a GM 90° drive adapter to fit the T5 which they want to donate. Otherwise, good as-is.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 19, 2017 01:34PM

We have the IRS out on the bench. Should get the hogshead swapped out this afternoon.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.