10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 21, 2017 09:21AM

Job done.
The car is back together and the test drive reveals that all is well. The howl from the rear end is gone and the handling is essentially neutral, brakes work well.

If you listen very carefully at speeds below 45mph you can just barely detect a very slight whine on coast but it is dead quiet when on the gas. We did absolutely nothing to the diff other than opening it, inspecting, and refilling with synthetic gear oil. Dan says there is an additive that Ford recommended for their Explorers which had issues with gear noise. If someone can get that we will add it.

Curtis, please contact me Re: driving RM to 2017BritishV8 and your schedule.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 28, 2017 10:34AM

Unfortunate news, it looks like work will prevent Curtis from making the annual BritishV8 meet this year.

For us this means we do not have a driver to bring the Roadmaster to the meet. I would do it, but it looks very much like my car will be back on the road in time for the meet. Hard to believe but apparently it's been down for 9 years, and I guess that makes it 10 years since I've had it at a meet. If there is any chance of driving it to Lewisburg, you know what my first choice is going to be. The driveshaft should be back Tuesday and then there is insurance, testing and tuning.

Dan suggested Carl could drive it but that would be a huge detour from what is now a pretty short trip.

I offered it to Matthew and he countered by saying that maybe he could trailer it behind his Jag. He has no experience with trailers and I'm not really comfortable with that option. I'll probably exercise my veto power on that one.

So I just wanted to let you all know that is where we stand. Maybe someone else will have an idea or two. If there was more time I could shuttle it to Milton at least, but it's too late for that now. Luckily almost everyone has seen the car recently, and while only a few have driven it in its latest condition, I can assure you that a drive in the Roadmaster is best described as, "Effortless". Were we to finish the airconditioning install and add a cruise control I firmly believe it would become the very definition of a true GT sports car. It is now so very close.

But personally, I prefer a roadster. If for some reason I can't get there with mine (there is still a question about clutch travel) I can drive it, but I'm really, really hoping that doesn't happen. More news in a couple of days anyway.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 31, 2017 11:51AM

Well, unless someone else particularly wants to drive the Roadmaster I'll be bringing it to Lewisburg. Sorry for all the confusion but that's just the way things have shaken out. There have been a cascade of issues with putting a T5 in my car and the schedule is now too tight to allow for any shakedown before the trip. When I was younger I would have disregarded the problem, but today, not so much. See you all in Lewisburg.

Jim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: May 31, 2017 02:32PM

I'm glad it will be there.

I'd like an opportunity to drive it on one of the outings.

I will be arriving in a civilian car, as my V6 is still on jack stands and I do not have time to get it road worthy in time for our event.

See you guys soon.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 01, 2017 10:43AM

We'll have to make sure that happens PJ.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 01, 2017 11:41AM

There was a thread somewhere that Charles mentioned a condensed that he has. I can't seem to find it so I'm posting here. The dimensions of the condenser that we have is: 14 x 15 x 1-1/4" and it is a double pass.

There is room for up to a 26 x 16" condenser.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 01, 2017 02:13PM

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 01, 2017 03:33PM

Nope. He posted a photo of it and I replied that I'd get sizes.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 01, 2017 04:06PM

Paste this into Google Images & see if you recognize the pic.

condenser site:forum.britishv8.org

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 01, 2017 10:57PM

Nope, didn't see it.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 16, 2017 07:40PM

So, I'm trying to post a report for the B.A.D.A.S.S. meeting that we had in Lewisburg and I'll be as complete as I can remember but bear in mind I had other things going on so feel free to post corrections and amendments.

We met in the hospitality room, Rick presiding. Attendance was good but I do not have the numbers. I also did not take notes, sorry. Might want to elect a Secretary next meeting. I'm sure we could find someone who would do a competent job.

Anyway, we passed the hat and collected money. Seven hundred or so I think? Also collected enough to finish the A/C install I would think. I have that in an envelope and can count it again tomorrow, I think it's something like $275. We discussed establishing dues and tabled PJ's motion until Townsend to give everyone a chance to consider it.

I'm sure there was a good bit more of interest, I just can't seem to think of it at the moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Max, we discovered that the 455 is starving for air. Dyno results were abysmal but when we went for a drive with the air cleaner off it was like we doubled the power. So I have modified the air cleaner housing to allow more air in, and made a new air cleaner base to properly support the housing so we do not collapse the new air filter.

We also discovered that there is an issue with the timing advance signal coming from the MegaJolt and Max and I did some work on that but there is more to do.

Graham has found what looks to be a good candidate for a replacement brake master cylinder, more on that as it develops. New spark plug wires will be installed, one headlight ballast has come loose and needs reattached, and then we can get back on installing the A/C.

That's sort of the way things stand for now. The idea with the brakes is to get more room for spark plug access. It looks like we can do that by installing a smaller (physically) unit and using a smaller bore so we don't need the booster, both of which will help.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 25, 2017 09:49AM

Here's the newly modified air cleaner:

IMG_0004.JPG

To prevent damage to the new element, a new base was made up out of 2 skillets and a saucepan. It is keyed to the carb and supports the housing:

IMG_0011.JPG

The housing was modified to allow more airflow and fitted with a new element which more properly fits on the ID. It was marked inside with two filter numbers, either of which should work with these parts:

IMG_0010.JPG

The old knob was modified to allow the increased height and a silicone rubber cushion was fitted:

IMG_0012.JPG

The test drive indicates it breathes a good bit better than before. However, should we do another Dyno pull, it should be done with the filter on, then off to check for restriction.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 26, 2017 11:07AM

I was thinking most of the restriction was that old ratty air filter. Did the hot rodders go to this extreme in 1967 for this air cleaner?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 26, 2017 02:43PM

I don't know, but it does run better. The air filter fits better. And the filter is taller so more surface area I think.

I've just finished relocating the power distribution module and the MegaJolt controller to the side of the footwell. Should be out of the way of the evaporator and a bit more accessible.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 06, 2017 11:48AM

power, Power, POWER!!!

I believe the issues we were having with the timing advance are now resolved so finally, we are starting to see the kind of power out of the mighty 455 that we all expected.

I know it's been a little of a disappointment for many of us ever since the dyno session in Texas where we first discovered the somewhat lackluster horsepower curve. Not that driving the car was anything short of impressive with all that torque, but just not what we expected to see. So it's very good to be able to say that now with adequate delivery of fuel, air, and advance it looks like the power is finally there.

Personally I'll be surprised if it dynos 500hp, I'll be expecting to see something closer to 400, maybe even a bit less. But it's certainly running the best it ever has, and it's like it has twice the power it had at Lewisburg.

Something of interest to anyone who uses or considers using the MegaJolt ignition controller, it has a separate, "Are you really, Really sure you want to use this tune?" icon button next to the upload to controller button, and if you don't click that one it reverts. Took awhile to sort that one out since we had a corrupted tuning file as the installed tune and all sorts of weirdnesses were happening. It was driveable but far from optimized. The map could still be improved but it is way better than it was, and I would expect to see an improvement in economy as well. Unfortunately I think the calibration of the odometer is off (even though the speedometer is correct oddly enough) so we will continue to have to use corrections.

So the stage is now set for further work on the air conditioning.

Schedule-wise, I hope to have my car off the lift in a few days, the next month looks sort of busy, but after that maybe we can get the crew together and knock it out.

Jim

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: July 06, 2017 02:09PM

Great news on Roadmaster., Jim, think we can view your personal car at Townsend in Oct?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 07, 2017 10:29AM

I'm expecting that Kelly. Take you for a ride?
In fact I hope the last part comes in today, so with just a bit of luck I may be driving it up to the Dayton show. I'll be taking the MG-Roadmaster to the Cincinnati show this Sunday since I don't have insurance yet and it'll be local trips only for awhile yet. But soon we'll be needing someone else to help get the Roadmaster to the shows.

Jim

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: July 07, 2017 02:19PM

Friend and I plan to attend the Dayton show also. drive up on Thru. attend the W-P Museum on Fri. and the show on Sat. Just a few miles north of your place :-)

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: July 10, 2017 12:48AM

good news Jim, those ponies were hiding in there and yo found them.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 10, 2017 12:49PM

I don't know that it really makes much difference in the way you drive the car though. It's just more reserve. The torque was already there and the power at lower speeds really didn't change that much. It's only when you mat it that it really makes a difference.

I drove it up to Harbin Park yesterday and it got a lot of attention at the meet, but they stuck the modifieds out in the hay field as far as they could get from the MGs, clear over on the opposite side of the German cars. and for a British car meet there were a lot of those. If I go back next year I swear I'm gonna park right smack in the middle of the MGBs with my roadster. That just ain't right. Eddie Cole and I were there, and a new guy with a V6 conversion, along with very nice V8 AH 3000 reproduction. Then they stuck a few unusual V engine type cars over there with us. I'd say we really weren't wanted, or else they just really had no idea at all of what to do with us. Well, that's why I'm a member of the WVBCC instead. Those guys know how to appreciate a good car. This meet declined sharply when they lost the drag strip as their location and the demographic swerved well away from performance and towards concours. One attendee told me he was about 60 years old and figured he lowered the average age by joining that club. Judging by the number of T types present he could be right. But it was a nice enough show if you like that sort of thing. Bill Michaels and another member of the WVBCC were in attendance, over in the Triumph section and there was a large turnout of Jags and German minis. Even a handfull of DeLoreans. But as for a BritishV8 presence, we declined very significantly from last year.

Happily we did have a fair number of youngsters who were excited to see the car, and that is why we built it. So in spite of being pushed off in the coffin corner we did manage to fulfill our function in being there, and I'd call that a win.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...123124125126127128129130131132133...LastNext
Current Page: 128 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.