(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 09, 2008 11:56PM

Jim, I haven't gotten to the flares yet to cut away the excess metal & box them up, but will do that tomorrow. I also got you two more. They'll come seperately via greyhound (cheaper shipping). They're the ones I mentioned that I'd found in louisville.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 10, 2008 11:35PM

rficalora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone live in/near Witchita KS? There's an Omni
> for sale on eBay that's there. 99 cent starting
> bid, no reserve, & 0 bids so far. Guy says he'll
> take $100 for the whole thing as a buy it now
> which puts the flares at about $25 each (a little
> less than I paid)... but someone would need to
> pick it up, cut them off, & then sell/scrap what's
> left.

I was under the impression that it was only the front (or perhaps only the rear) flares that were used (I cannot remember which)..so we would need two Omni's...right? (Or did I sleep through that class?)

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 10, 2008 11:42PM

You can use both front & rear flares form the Omni. They're the seam except that the rears have the inner fender portion to cut away to make them useful to us... so it's way easier to use all fronts but Omni's are getting harder to find so the extra work to prep the rear flares is worth it.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 11, 2008 09:15AM

Rob and guys, I forwarded the link to this board to a fellow LBC enthusiast with the Wichita British Car Club to see if we can generate some interest there and perhaps get a volunteer to get the flares. Hopefully we can find another misguided soul who is crazy enough to join us in our adventure.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 14, 2008 11:33PM

There is some news to discuss. Bill has also been scouting for fender flares and came up with a nice pair of fronts for a good price. Don't know if he's bought them or not. Bill and Rob, you guys can decide what to do about those can't you? Sure would beat me trying to decide for you.

The pistons have been paid for and shipped, coming from Greenbriar, TN. Well, actually Kyle promised to ship them out yesterday so if he was able to they should get to Dale Monday.

This weekend will kick off spring cleaning here at Blackwood Labs. It's time to put everything away and make some space. It's been pretty wet the last few weeks but I now have the funds set aside to properly gravel the driveway and will place the order as soon as the ground is dry enough to support the trucks. In addition I hope to purchase enough materials to sheath the lower walls (which are 4 courses of block) and thereby eliminate once and for all the annoying water seepage. This will give us a much better place to work.

I'm still talking to TA Performance and hope to get a decision one way or the other early next week on the heads. I left Greg a message and will try to touch base with him also and ask his recommendations for a tire sponsor. I'd like to have that all settled by Roadmaster Weekend, which is the 29th and 30th this month. Actually we may have to make it the 28th and 29th since we have a schedule conflict. Anyway, there's plenty to do. We need to begin sheet metal work on the body. Finish cutting out the old rusty panels and fit the replacements and weld them up. I've been using the mig on some heavier work and it has done well so I'm pretty confident that it'll work fine for our repairs. But first all of the parts and pieces need to be put somewhere else besides on the (upside down) floor of the car body so we can tip it over to a convenient angle to work on. Now that it's starting to warm up a bit it will be much nicer doing those things. Next winter I plan to have a proper heating system in operation.

Jim

Here's an interesting photo. Not British though.
MVC-457S.JPG

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 15, 2008 10:34AM

I passed on the car in KS since we didn't have a way to get the flares off of it & then dispose of it. eBay listing is still going but there's 11 bidders & it's @ $96 w/12hrs to go so he's going to get more than the $100 we'd agreed to anyway. I have a couple more leads, but will get with Bill & we'll figure something out & let you know.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 15, 2008 09:24PM

Jim, here are more Jag IRS pixtures: ERA Cobra's use the tubing method for their axles. 1 3/4" outside 1/4" thick, with 3" stub interference fit.Supposed to be 4 times stronger than the smaller 1.25" one in the middle. Also tubing insert in control arm with gussets.
sleeveinsert.jpg
jagshort1.gif
Halfshaftcomp.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 09:26PM by mgb260.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: March 17, 2008 10:14AM

........4 brand new Omni fenders for sale on Ebay - cheap!!!
[cgi.ebay.com]
..........and in Ky.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 17, 2008 01:11PM

I will defer to Bill and Rob on the flares and assist when needed. The Jag info from Jim N is right in line with our intents, with the welded small tube half-shafts being exactly where we're headed. The LCA is still up for grabs. Thank you Jim for those photos.

Sponsors: I have e-mailed Greg at Weld Wheels regarding a prospectus that got lost in the ether, shop wheels, and a recommendation for tire sponsor. I contacted TA twice by phone but have not been able to get Mike away from his work but I will try again. In the meantime I have also contacted Edelbrock and Poston Buick in an effort to solicit a set of heads. Hopefully one of the three will come through for us.

Membership: I was just wondering if we should consider allowing dues paying members to join? As we know we did not begin with any dues requirement, although I don't think there was ever any promise made that dues would never be paid. But it occurs to me that we may have a fairly significant following of individuals who would be more than happy to support the project in the form of a dues paid membership. So I want to just throw that out there for discussion and see what the general consensus is. As you all know I'm all about keeping the costs down, and that applies whether it is in regards to the car or to the membership. But I realize that I may be a bit more stingy than most.... no, better make that a LOT stingier than most and I don't want to be out of step with the general desires of the membership. What say you?

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: March 17, 2008 07:12PM

Jim,
I am not for dues.
No particular reason, other I don't want to have to keep up with a membership list more than we have already got. I am a bolt turner and not really good at paper work.

Steve

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 17, 2008 10:04PM

I agree with Steve, no dues. Those who wish to contribute time, money, or parts to the project are more than welcome and highly encouraged to do so, but it's strictly voluntary. With this great bulletin board to communicate by we shouldn't have any problem maintaining our enthusiasm levels until the project is completed and ready to be shown to the world. The completed car should have a panel or such attached where the names of those individules or companies that have contributed can be displayed and featured in any promotional material we would distrinbute. Is there anyone among our group that has experience setting up a web site? This board is great for us to communicate among ourselves, but I think it would be nice to have a web site we could refer potential donors to which states our purpose and keeps track of our progress. Jim's reports on this board have been great, but we could distill those down and make the story much easier to get for a newly interested enthusiast.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 17, 2008 11:26PM

Quote:
I think it would be nice to have a web site we could refer potential donors to which states our purpose and keeps track of our progress.

Sort of like this? - [www.britishv8.org]

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 18, 2008 12:47AM

On the flares topic, I sent a pair of them to Jim last week & Bill got a 2nd pair that he's going to mail so I think we're set on those.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 18, 2008 08:05AM

Exactly Curtis, I remembered the great article you published about the project, but I didn't think that we could update it as work progressed since it was part of a newsletter issue. There have been several bits of progress since the article. I was thinking about somewhere we could include these bits of information, 1, What is the project, 2 Who's making it happen, 3 What is the current status, and 4 What can I do to help? The newsletter article addressed the first two items, but not the current status or really address how people can contribute.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 18, 2008 02:45PM

I propose that someone from the project write an article for each new edition of the Newsletter. There are three editions a year... Each article should include at least a few nice photos. I could easily create a page that would serve as a hub or index for those articles. That index page could include a couple phone numbers, mailing addresses, etc. - It should certainly include a link to this message thread.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 18, 2008 03:14PM

That sounds like a nice solution Curtis, thanks for the help. I guess now we need to see who wants to take on the job of "recording secretary" for the group. Of course since I opened my big mouth I guess I should step up and volunteer, just need the guys to send me any photos and information that hasn't already been published on the board. I can cut and paste from the threads to fill in the rest. Just need to know your submission deadlines for the issues Curtis. Of course if anyone else wants to become a published author you're entirely welcome and would have my hearty support.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 19, 2008 09:30PM

Jim, How is this for a lower control arm. It is not Jag but custom Halibrand IRS.
Copy_of_IMG_0404-1.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 19, 2008 11:17PM

That is very nice Jim. Thanks for sharing. It does however appear that there is no upper control arm and if this is correct then torque is transmitted through the LCA, apparently a frequently overlooked component of LCA design. The wide spacing of the tubes is helpful in that regard, but a small increase in tube diameter would be very helpful indeed in controlling for/aft wheel movement due to rotation of the upright. Some triangulation across the center opening would be a good idea also. In terms of torque resistance the stock Jag LCA is far superior, but the question must be asked, just how much torque resistance is needed? Theoretical loading has no advantage here over real world testing and it may well be that the design is more than adequate for the installation. I have doubts, but it really depends on the rest of the car.

Bill, I applaud your efforts, particularly as they relate to informing the public and to fundraising.

I'm a little befuddled though, why paid membership is bad when we said that anyone who contributes becomes a member. Isn't that about the same in terms of record keeping? Not that I'm pushing for it you understand, I guess I'm just missing the distinction.

Jim

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 20, 2008 09:02AM

Jim, perhaps it's my take on the word "dues" which implies to me an annual contribution. I'm sure there are some supporters out there who like Arthur have major items to donate and it's really appreciated, but do we want to then say that they have any further obligation? I don't think so. Donations of money, parts, or time should be strictly voluntary and can be a one time thing or a continuing level of commitment, it's their choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:27AM by V6 Midget.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: March 20, 2008 09:17AM

Jim,

I agree with Bill.

Steve
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.