(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: March 20, 2008 09:29AM

The suspension in photo is on an AC Cobra replica from Texas. Owner Russ Richard. Russ is having Ted install a Fast Cars IFS. Now there are two Cobras with the IFS. I'm sure Russ would be happy to answer any questions about the IRS installation. It is not the original IRS that came with the Butler Cobra.

Arthur

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 20, 2008 10:41AM

Dues: Thanks for clearing that up, somehow I'd overlooked that aspect. Certainly I see no reason why we'd want to kick anyone out, which is what annual dues would imply.

Fundraising: We really do need to start doing something to generate funding for the project. What we've done so far is enough to cover us for the federal filing later in the year for nonprofit status with the IRS but it won't cover the cost of other purchases we might like to make. For instance, Edelbrock has offered us distributor pricing on components such as aluminum heads. I don't know what those prices actually are yet or if we want to pursue that, or even if we can get a better deal from Poston or TA, but then there are also costs such as buying a replacement hub flange for the one that is damaged, a posi unit for a Dana 44 differential (3 series) and other expenses. What about selling a patch? Someone would need to design it of course. I'd buy a few.

Incidentally, Weld will not be able to provide us with setup or "shop" wheels because they don't have anything in their current line that matches our needs, according to Greg. So that means we have to come up with something for the car to roll on. A pretty generic 15" wheel should work for the front, Steve can we use 2 of your Jag wheels for that? (I promise I won't find anything else to stuff your car with.) The rear will be a bit more of a challenge but maybe ebay will have something. Greg suggested approaching BFG as a tire sponsor, as they are easy to work with and have tires that are good for multiple uses as opposed to being more specialized. I'll be following up on that as soon as I can.

Arthur, I would love to be put in contact with Russ. Can you help with that? I'd like his opinion of how stable that IRS configuration is.

Jim

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 20, 2008 03:39PM

Jim, a patch would be a nice thing to have, good idea. How about something like this?
badge.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 20, 2008 04:43PM

I like it a lot Bill. Can we add a little California rake? Maybe some tire smoke (flames?)?

I just talked to Mark at Poston Buick and he seems very willing to be involved in our project. Poston sells the Bulldog brand of aluminum heads. Bulldog is a little behind on their deliveries right now but Mark assured me that if he can get Bulldog to deliver then he can provide us with some heads. I think this qualifies as cause for celebration.

I will concentrate my efforts on tires next along with a set of shop wheels. And sometime in the next few weeks I expect to find my way over to Kesselring's to talk to Terry about paint. I'd say we have a pretty good chance of bringing him in too, especially now that we have some other big ticket sponsors.

Assuming Mark is able to get us the heads, maybe we can tap Edelbrock for an intake or something. I'll broach that possibility with them.

We're moving along pretty well. Let's keep it going.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: March 21, 2008 07:54AM

Jim,
How many wheel do you want me to bring. For just shop use I will leave the old tires on. Have to see haw space is with the little trailer. May have to bring the larger one.
I like the patch idea. I'll take a few also. I, also, Like the proposed design.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 21, 2008 10:16AM

I hadn't considered the tires Steve. We won't be setting the car on it's wheels until late spring, so really those could wait if they could be brought up later by someone.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 21, 2008 11:50AM

"Incidentally, Weld will not be able to provide us with setup or "shop" wheels because they don't have anything in their current line that matches our needs, according to Greg."

Sound like we need to go back to the 15X7 Pro Stars & 225/50-15s.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 21, 2008 02:24PM

I may have caused some misunderstandings with that post. Weld is still a sponsor and will provide us with the wheels the car is going to ride on at and after the 2009 show. They will be a new product for them, a wheel designated the G-Force which is designed to accommodate large side forces and modern offsets. I still don't know what those wheels will look like, but in general Weld makes a pretty attractive wheel.

What we are using Steve's wheels for is to have something to set the car on until those wheels are built. Then we will switch them out. I was asking Weld if they had any wheels we could use for that purpose. The answer was that nothing in their current line would match the specifications. That would be true for the rear wheels, but I felt it unwise to press the issue on the front wheels which are in a size they do make.

I will be looking to see if something the right size for the rears comes up on ebay at a low bid. If not, we'll just measure back from Steve's wheels.

Facilities: Good news for those of you who have been here and those that will. The first gravel truck brought it's load. 26 tons of #2&4 crushed limestone. This will give a good base for the driveway to the lab. In the next week or so I'll get out with the antique D4 and spread and compress it, then loads #2 and 3 will finish the job. For those who wonder about such things, that will be in the neighborhood of $1200 of gravel. That income tax money sure comes in handy sometimes. I'm also awaiting a bid on the tin to sheath the lower block walls, which will eliminate the water problem once and for all. Both of these improvements will make for a cleaner, neater work environment.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2008 05:34PM by BlownMGB-V8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 21, 2008 07:12PM

Jim,

I think I still have some Camaro Z28/Chevelle rally wheels. Was going to use them on my S10 a long time ago.

http://www.nastyz28.com/faq/wheel/70z-whl.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 21, 2008 10:03PM

Nice wheels Carl. Why don't you contact Steve and the two of you can sort this issue out for us if you don't mind. No reason why I should have to make all the decisions and we need more group participation anyway. Thanks.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 22, 2008 08:47AM

It's a heavy 15X7 steel wheel. Not sure if I have any decent beauty rings. I'll look for them in the storage building & measure the backspacing.

Oh yeah, no tires mounted on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 08:48AM by MGBV8.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 23, 2008 06:06PM

The Omni flares that Rob sent came in and I got them unpacked today. (photos later) These appear to be the rear flares judging from what looks like the recess where the door closes. The appear to be in good shape. I've not done a set of these before so I will need some help in fitting them up properly.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 23, 2008 09:54PM

Jim,
I'll get with Carl about the wheels. Doesn't matter to me. I would like mine back when the new ones come in. Mine are just stock XJ6 wheels. Not very pretty, but would suffice for rolling around.

Steve

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 23, 2008 10:14PM

Jim, the flares I sent are from the rear. If you feel along the edge where it drops off to the rear door recess you can feel that it flattens out before it turns down for the recess. I haven't fit mine yet either -- next month, two max, but Bruce Mills is having his done right now; I'll send you the pics I have & I can put you in contact with him so maybe you can chat with his body guy.

I plan to mount the rear end, wheels/tires & use them as a gauge for how high on the body to install the flares. If you'll be installing before suspension is in place, you'll need to mock up where the tires will be to figure it out.

Rob

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: March 23, 2008 11:10PM

Jim, I had sent an email to Russ regarding his Cobra rear suspension, have not heard back as yet. Will keep you posted. If you need to contact him in a hurry, I can send you a link to the Cobra forum.

Arthur

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 24, 2008 02:23PM

Jim, don't take the photos of the flares yet, there are two more due in this week and you can show them all. I can't help with the proposed patch much more, my limited ability on the computer and software won't allow me to clean up the image or as Jim requested add tire smoke or flames. Do we have a good graphics artist among the crew?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 24, 2008 04:31PM

V6 Midget Wrote:
Do we have a good graphics artist among
> the crew?

I hope so. The one guy I know hasn't responded. If we go another week or so without any help on that let's just go ahead with what we have. As the first patch it will have significance even if the artwork isn't the very best. I think we should start with a shoulder/chest sized patch and consider a full back patch, t-shirts and jackets later, maybe after we get the artwork refined a bit. If someone could volunteer to handle the order fulfillment, we could take orders online.

I heard from Dale, things are looking good with the engine:

455 hone.JPG

455 deck.JPG

Everything looks pretty straight. Allen set us up pretty good with this 455. Dale's comments:

"Update on the Buick. Pistons are ok size-wise, the packing job left a lot to be desired. They are dinged up pretty badly on the skirts so I'll have to file/deburr them. Fortunately the rings were still on them so the grooves did not suffer any damage. The line bore is perfect on it, no need for a line hone.I have it rough bored and decked and am attaching pictures. I did it on my bore mill with it's 90 degree fixture that automatically corrects the deck angle is relation to crank/cam centerline. The right side was absolutely perfect, less than a thou end for end and side to side (very strange for OE). The left side was out approximately .008" side to side, more typical. I only cut enough to clean, the piston is way down the hole anyway, going to 0 deck would have required about .060" off the decks. With a non-adjustable valve train, not a good idea. The Keith Black piston available for the 455 is .055" taller than stock to make up for this. Anyway, I have rings and rod bearings coming as I need them for the balance job."

It's clear that Dale is committed to the project and moving things along right with our time frame, as well as investing his own resources. This is the kind of committment that will bring us success.

I've been looking at Corvette wheels, I figure if I find something suitable at the right price I'll go ahead and get them and maybe use them for my roadster after we're done with them on this car. I'll let you all know if I buy anything.

Been fighting off a touch of the flu and will be out of town next week, and maybe out of contact as well. So far nobody has made any plans with me for this month's Roadmaster Weekend, but we're still doing it nonetheless. Can't guarantee how clean the shop will be though at this point.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 25, 2008 06:22PM

Won the auction on some rear wheels today:
[cgi.ebay.com]
I don't know if that page will pull up, the number is 200208826114

The price was right. The wheels have been chromed so it'll be next to impossible to find anything to match them on the front, but since they'll be going on my car once we get the Weld wheels that'll be my problem. The important thing is that it gives us a wheel to work with and we can spec the Weld wheels to match. I'll get shipping costs tomorrow and should have them in about a week. One more piece in place.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 26, 2008 08:26AM

Jim,
You have wheels, so that means I will not bring mine?
Leaves a little more room in the trailer.
I think the patch idea is a good one.
As highly esteemed treasurer of the project, I will coordinate the sales of the patches. Let me know who will be procucing them and cost and so forth. Maybe this will be worked out at the July meeting? Maybe before, we could sell some at the Conversion Show in Wisconsin.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 26, 2008 08:59AM

I think that's a real good idea Steve. Bill Young has the Graphics file, somebody needs to get prices and get some patches ordered, as well as some envelopes to mail them out in, all those sort of details. If you guys can handle all that it'd be great. Wouldn't hurt to contact Dan Masters too since he's been doing the t-shirts and jackets for the British V8 meet, and maybe Rick Ingram as I think maybe he might have coordinated the paraphanalia for the Spurrites and they do have some nice jackets. I'm not recommending jumping in with everything all at once, just suggesting some possible sources for pricing and such.

As for the wheels, we will still need two wheels for the front, whether yours, Carl's, or someone else's makes no real difference. But we can get by without them until maybe as late as mid summer.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.