(5830 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 10, 2019 01:07AM

As we approach cold weather and the year's end the MG-Roadmaster has come home to roost, that is to say it is once more sitting in my shop. Matthew and I went to Rick's and brought it here just before the last warm days and we had it out to the local watering hole for the Sunday get together, where it drew the usual attention.

Aside from a few pretty minor issues the car is as good as it's ever been. It acquired a mouse for awhile but is airing out nicely and I don't expect that to be any sort of an issue. Ran and drove great.

We do have a few maintenance issues. The front lugs and nuts need to be swapped out from 7/16 to 1/2" which I think we may be able to do on the car one at a time. It's been suggested we go over it and check the tightness of all fasteners and I think that is a good idea. Also my last trip to the pick-n-pull I picked up a Ford cruise control and control module for almost no money and think that should go in.

We've talked about having another Roadmaster Weekend. I'm just guessing it'll be sometime in the dead of winter before that can happen but it's definitely a possibility. For those who have never participated these are generally small groups of dedicated friends who gather here to socialize and work on the car, bunking in our downstairs suite which depending on the number may mean a real bed or may mean an inflatabed brought from home, but we've never had to kick anybody out yet. If there's enough interest we'll do it again.

At present we do not know who will get to take custody of the car going into the new year so if you are a past participant in the project and are interested let us know. Your responsibilities are to attract as much good publicity as you can, particularly among the younger folks, keep it in a locked space, and pass it on in as good of condition as you found it. Needless to say this means you don't just turn over the keys to the local demented teenager but accompanied drives are something we've all done so use your best judgement there. Above all else enjoy it. It is a unique experience that will make you a believer in the concept.

Jim

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1478 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: November 29, 2019 11:34AM

I'm now guessing that the reason the spare needed to be used on the front rather than the rear is due to the wheel studs?

I think it's a Chevy wheel on the spare.

If this is the problem, can we adapt the Chevy wheel to the larger diameter studs on front....if not, remember that we do have a spare Jaguar rim that I accepted as a donation a couple of years ago.

I'm not sold on adding cruise control until all of the "growing pains' have been sorted out, especially the vibration. I've driven the car hundreds of miles at a time (longest run was from St.Joseph, IL up to Traverse City, MI) and did not miss cruise control one iota.

The addition of EPS was a good idea....

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(5830 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 01, 2019 06:41PM

Thanks Rick.
I just got back from a trip to Milton WV, round trip about 375-400 miles. No big deal on the cruise but I did grab one from the pick-n-pull. I had a store credit and got the Halloween discount. About $20, no charge to BADASS. The car's got serious legs. It smooths out at about 75 and starts to hit it's stride around 80. By 90 it's doing almost 2000rpm and beginning to wake up. I'm usually more comfortable around the mid 70's because of cops but once we fix that wobble it'll be lots better on secondary roads. One of the best things about cruise is that it helps you avoid tickets by setting a safe speed. Running without it can be more exciting, but mainly because it's also more risky. Just a choice really but having the choice could be a good thing.

Anyway I think the wobble is priority one. Sounds like the spare is second. Then speedo cable, oil change, and regular maintenance, things like that. Should be sometime early next year. There is a pretty good chance I'll be taking it to the WVBCC Christmas party in a couple of weeks.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...121122123124125126127128129130131
Current Page: 131 of 131

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.