(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 19, 2008 02:07PM

I cast the bushings this morning. The first photo shows the molds that is used, I decided to go ahead and make up proper ones and knocked that out last night.

MVC-582S.JPG

The next shot is with the work area all set up with everything needed to do the job. The resin and catylist are mixed by weight. The resin is water clear but the cat is black. (Come to think of it Edith has a black cat too.)

MVC-583S.JPG

This next shot shows the weight calculations for a proper mix ratio, weighed in grams.

MVC-585S.JPG

And here we have the balance scales used to weigh out the ingredients. This is a very old set used in a dental office, along with some cannibalized weights and pans from an old Metzler precision scale.

MVC-586S.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 19, 2008 02:23PM

I pulled a vacuum on the first batch to remove air bubbles. This is a standard procedure for castable resins so even though the directions did not call for it I went ahead and did it. However it turned out that the mix cooked off a lot faster than I expected, so on the next batch I was careful in mixing to keep as much air out of it as I could and then went directly to the molds without the vacuum step. Even so the mix began to thicken a bit before the last mold was completely filled.

MVC-587S.JPG

And here's the finished result. They look pretty good don't they? This urethane is a pretty hard grade. It'd been a long time since I played with a hardness assortment and I could have gotten the 80 durometer stuff but I didn't want to err on the side of it being too soft. As a result, it may transmit a little more noise than we'd like but I'm hoping it won't be that noticeable.

Jim

MVC-588S.JPG

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: May 19, 2008 02:44PM

Neat Jim, what a nice solution to making custom bushings.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 19, 2008 05:38PM

Does this mean you don't need the bushings from the springs Jim? If so, that's good because I don't have a press & couldn't get them out with my attempts using various clamps, vises, sockets, etc. If you do still need them, there's a machine shop not far from the house; I'll see if he'll press them out for me when I get back in town this weekend.

Rob

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 19, 2008 06:10PM

I still need 'em Rob. These bushings are for the hanger strap brackets above the stock axle. The spring eye bushings will mount the forward cross bar which will hold the forward pivots of the LCA's near the center. May be hard to visualize but it'll make sense when you see it. They will mount to the stock front spring mount brackets.

Jim

MSDMGBV8
Michael Domanowski
Delaware Counties New York
(12 posts)

05/20/2008 12:04PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB V8 Oldsmobile 215 stroked to 277 ci with Nitrous

authors avatar
Posted by: MSDMGBV8
Date: May 20, 2008 12:56PM

Jim, Work on the Roadmaster project is really coming along nicely. Thanks for informing me of this site.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 20, 2008 04:44PM

Just to bring everyone up to date. I picked up some 1.5" OD .250 wall DOM tubing yesterday, 3 feet for the axles, $33 plus change. Estimated shipping costs to Florence via UPS is about $22, so for $55 we have the material for the axles. Jim should have it by early next week. Does beat the $200 for a 20 foot length of tubing which we didn't need most of.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 20, 2008 04:46PM

Some more progress, here I'm cutting the brackets for the bushing sleeves. I use holesaws a lot in my shop.

MVC-596S.JPG

The results:

MVC-597S.JPG

And fitted into position. Next the addition of some 1/4 x 1" strap and it all gets tacked up and welded.

MVC-598S.JPG

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 20, 2008 04:48PM

Bill, BADASS can reimburse you for the costs. I have enough money in paypal right now waiting to be transferred.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 20, 2008 05:46PM

Jim, i had told Bill I was going to send a donation check in, but haven't had a chance to write/mail it... PayPal is way easier, what paypal ID can I send the donation to?

On the plates you made, how did you do that? Looks like a drill press table, but i'm guessing you have a milling machine... still, never having used one, I'm wondering how you move the piece to make clean/even archs like that. I'm thinking I could have saved a lot of time with the right equipment... and know how!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 20, 2008 10:59PM

Mike, good to see you made it.

Rob, it is indeed a drill press, a floor model with double reduction pulleys that I bought years ago new for about $150. If you'll notice, one of the clamps hold the plate and the other is a stop. Hole saws will easily cut a partial circle if your setup is reasonably rigid, in fact they prefer an interrupted cut as it clears the teeth, so in thick materials placing a drilled hole in the arc of the cut can be very helpful. The drill press was quicker and easier than setting up the mill for this job. Also good holesaws are essential for cutting metal (not the cheap wood cutting ones although they can work if run slow enough) and cutter speed needs to be kept as slow as possible, especially with the larger sizes.

As for paypal donations, they can be sent to me at:
Jim@BlackwoodLabs.com
I'm still working on adding the BADASS account to paypal so that I can transfer funds to it, I just need to confirm the token deposits and we should be good.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 27, 2008 01:58PM

Anybody coming over for Roadmaster Weekend? May have to tack another year onto the schedule if I don't get some help here. After all, I've got just as many other things to do as everybody else. Could go camping, could ride the bike, could visit the folks, could mow the yard, finish remodeling the basement, set up the pool, heck, I could even work on my roadster, imagine that. Or take it for a ride. Just because the IRS isn't finished doesn't mean there's nothing else to do. Hang doors and fenders, complete the engine assembly....

Oh yeah, btw there's a guy on V8Buick who said he'd donate an aluminum intake if we pay shipping.

Jim

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 27, 2008 03:10PM

Jim,
This is the unfortunate truth about a project whose membership is scattered all over the continent. I'd love to spend more time in KY but circumstances won't allow a lot of travel.
I believe that most of us want to see the project build status in Wisc in July, regardless of the state of completion - should be enough of us there that we could actually help with some assembly.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 27, 2008 04:56PM

Jim, wish I could be there, but it's almost 600 miles from my place to yours and if I drove I'd just get there and almost have to turn around and head home immediately to be at work the following Monday. I do want to take part in the actual construction if I can, trying to figure out some time off this fall and make the trip, we'll see if the budget and work schedule will allow. If there was anything we could farm out that would help a bit. Do items like the wiper assembly need to be rebuilt and repaired, that's something I could do here and then ship the parts back. Not too heavy so shipping shouldn't be a problem. Anything else we can do? It's early in the build I know, but there will be tons of small things to detail when the time comes I'm sure. Above all , live your life, this project's not worth your happiness or that of your family. It can wait if it has to.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 27, 2008 06:14PM

I try not to gripe, guess today was just my day. It's just that there are only two weekends left and Steve's been the only helper this year. I'll get it on it's wheels if I can but I'm feeling the deadline, and with other jobs that have to be done the number of days I can spend on it is dropping fast.

Anyway, I know you guys are with me on this and I'll do what I can. Bill, the tubing came in. It looks like it should do just fine. I still have some fabrication work on the crossmember before I can shorten the axles but I'm hoping to get to that by the end of the week.

My summertime challenge is to avoid letting my workload build up to where it starts stressing me out too much. Right now I'm kinda close to that but the good thing is that I recognize the problem and know what to do about it. Consistently remembering to take action (by inaction I guess) is the challenging part. But when I start taking it out on others that's a real strong signal to just mellow out and find a way to do nothing for a bit. So I guess I'll go watch it rain for awhile, maybe do a few low priority fun things just for the heck of it. Apparently I'm not that easy to live with right now and that needs to change. Thanks for understanding.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 28, 2008 04:39PM

Jim,
I may be able to come up the middle of June. I can't make it this weekend or the end of June.
I'll let you know.
I spoke with one of my local club members and he has offered a new set of inner and outer sills for the project. Hopefully we can use them. Will let you know about them also.
Sorry all the weight is on you, but that's why you get the big bucks, right?
If I can make it up, can I stay in the basement?

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 28, 2008 10:17PM

You sure can Steve, provided it's habitable. The spare room upstairs is an option too. We're nearing completion on the drywall, hopefully get at least part of it painted and floored by then, at least enough to spend a night or three. Then maybe Carl can't complain about me selling his bunk house.

Funny how much trouble I've been having in spending those big bucks... guess they must be for retirement or something.

In other good news, I bought a 175 ft roll of 3 ft wide conveyor belting yesterday. This is to wrap the block foundation of the lab and permanently cure the water problem. No more fording streams and rivers to get from one side of the shop to the other. Only thing is, you guessed it, I have to hang the stuff. At least I can start with the smaller areas and take my time on it. But soon now water in the floor will be a thing of the past. After fighting that for several years straight I'm really looking forward to that day.

None of which is directly connected to the project, but all of which will help make it easier. And cleaner. May even be able to finally repaint the floor, or at least part of it.

Tomorrow I mow the yard, Friday break down the new Jag IRS, and Saturday complete crossmembers and make final measurements for narrowing. With my schedule, that's about as far in advance as I can try to plan. If anybody does show this weekend we can finish the engine or hang sheet metal.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 29, 2008 12:48PM

projectroadmaster.jpg

Hopefully attached is what the local print shop recommends for the t-shirts.
We need to pick a color. Those shown are just the one they think look best. We can get another color.

Cost will be $12 for small through extra large. Anything biggeer will be $2 extra.
I can have them for you at the WI gathering. If you need to have them shipped to you, you will have to pay shipping.
We will make the most off of the white. I think the red looks good.

Let's here from you guys.

Steve

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 29, 2008 01:50PM

Look great to me Steve. I'd go for the white or yellow, cooler in the warm weather when I'd be wearing it. I'll need two in XXL. If I can't make the V8 meet I'll send money and cover shipping.

P.S. Just thought, you might need the money up front, if that's the case let me know and I'll send you a check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 02:37PM by V6 Midget.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 29, 2008 02:04PM

Steve,
Mark me down for a white XL.....it's usually hot in Kettle Morain country in July.
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.