(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: May 29, 2008 03:33PM

Would match your B and my Midget well wouldn't it? That wouldn't have anything to do with your selection would it? ;-)

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 29, 2008 08:13PM

Jim,
I can come up on june 12-13-14 and leave on the 15. That is not a regular Roadmaster weekend, but that is the only one I can make. If it doesn't suit youlet me know and I'll stay home.
I can help get the car back on it's wheel and get the fenders and stuff put on it.
Let me know.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 30, 2008 12:52PM

Carmine red would be my choice too or burgundy. xxL, at least a couple of them.

Steve, that weekend will work, though I may have an old friend in town and have to jump on the bike and go off riding for part of the day friday or saturday. Not that I'd have to be here the whole time anyway and it isn't a certainty either, just something to figure in.

Got some heavier wire for the mig yesterday, and some aluminum. First chance I get I'll play with that some. It'd be handy to be able to mig aluminum parts if we need them, like for a custom intake. We may be getting one though, more on that when I have it.

Jim

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 30, 2008 02:07PM

Guys, please check "The Pub" for the post from Dan Masters. I'm almost without words, I'm sure Dan and his family are in all our prayers during these trying times.
Bill Young

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 31, 2008 03:43PM

I'm still sort of in denial. It's hard to come to terms with it, especially with as much time as we had spent on the phone. I only wish I had known. It'd be the height of presumption to think I could have changed anything but I wish I could have tried. Life is a struggle for most of us and we can be thankful there is enough support to keep us going. I feel like in some way we let him down. The only thing we can do now is to listen more closely for the quiet cries for help that so often go unnoticed. I'm glad to be able to say he was my friend. I wish I could say I had listened more closely. Not so much that he ever let on, but I'm sure there was more I could have done to encourage him.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 31, 2008 10:08PM

I hear ya, Bro.

Mike was such an upbeat, fun guy to hang with, I didn't even see this coming. We are all going to miss him. I really am depressed for Nico, Mike's son that Dan brought to several V8 Meets. He & my son were born 10 days apart. I won one of the V8 Meet autox with Nico riding shotgun. My son, Mitch, has never ridden with me (or watched me) do any driving events.

I had a double whammy yesterday. First, I was waylaid by the sad news about Mike. Then I had another good friend undergo surgery to remove a tumor in his lung. He died shortly after going back to ICU yesterday evening. I'm still about 90 proof. Life just sucks, sometimes.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 02, 2008 11:02AM

Well, don't start questioning your own purpose in life, that leads to no good. I find that living in the present and hoping for the future works best for me. There's always some sort of hope there if you look hard enough for it. Sometimes it might just be hoping to make it through the next minute, but still it's there.

So on that note and no disrespect intended, back to the matter at hand. Nothing got done this weekend. I'm sure you all understand and sympathize. Still, that's not getting us to Port Washington. Steve, are we still on for next week? I'll do my best to get things moving on the IRS.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 02, 2008 03:56PM

Jim,
I will leave here on Thursday, june 12 and should get there late afternoon.
Maybe we can get some work done that evening.
Friday and Sat. should let us get it on the wheels?

Is the spare room or the basement available?

Sorry to here about Mike. I didn't know him but Dan and family are in my prayers.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 02, 2008 09:12PM

I'm afraid it'll be the spare room Steve, I'm finding it hard to get everything done, and feeling little satisfaction in what I am getting done. However, I am still making progress on all fronts, just slower than I'd like.

Get it on it's wheels. Yes, that would be the goal. We will need to get a couple of 2nd hand tires for the front, should be available close by for about 10-15 bucks each. I've got some more work done on the crossmember, should have that done by then, and if I haven't gotten the LCA's and axles done you can finish up the engine while I finish the job and then we'll bolt 'er up and take it down off the rack before moving on to the engine/tranny and tin. Or however much we can do.

The basement's a mess. Drywall dust everywhere and still more of that to do. It'll be nice when it's done though, maybe next time. At least I did get the belting up around the shop building so if it rains we shouldn't have water in the floor any more. That should help some.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 03, 2008 01:37PM

Jim,
Spare room is great.
I will leave here on the morning of June12.
I will bringing with me, besides my dynamic personality and boyish good looks, two Jag rims with tires and center caps for the rims, lug nuts for the rims, inner and outer sills (new), the turn signal switch (borrowed last time), and southern BBQ. ( should provide at least one meal while there. The BBQ will be mustard based for one batch and one vinegar based. about 3 lbs of each.
I will be bringing back home the 2.78 gear for the Ford 8 in.
If any of this does not suit you let me know.

Steve

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 03, 2008 02:45PM

Steve, keep talking about that good sounding BBQ and I'm liable to drive over! ;-) Hope you guys get a lot done and don't have to work too hard. Wish I could be there to help.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 05, 2008 01:25AM

Steve, that all sounds good. Especially the BBQ! I've got the Xmember done except for the shock mounts, (Don't know where to locate them until we get the coil-over units we'll be using but we'll need a temporary strut of some kind for the meet) front hanger brackets, and paint.

MVC-616S.JPG

MVC-617S.JPG

Should be able to finish up the brackets tomorrow evening and perhaps paint also. Then I think I should mount the differential and measure one last time before cutting the axles and LCA's.

I was going to try to do the axles and LCA's for both cars at the same time but it turns out that my hydraulic press isn't able to press out one of the hub splines. So instead of holding up the Roadmaster while I retrofit the press I'll just plan to do that later and concentrate on getting one axle setup finished. The axle half-shafts will have to be turned down to 1" to fit in the 1/4" wall tubing. One builder, using 1-3/4 OD tubing presses the ends into the tube and then welds it. This concentrates the torque stress between the ends of the old half shaft. Instead of doing that what I will do is machine for a snug slip fit, which will give good alignment but allow the torque stress to be evenly distributed along the entire length of the tube, and also leave a minimum gap between the ends which will give full internal support and resistance to wall wrinkling under torsion loading. I think this will give us a more reliable part with the size tubing we are using.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 05, 2008 03:50PM

All,
The sills I am bring up were donated by Tom Caine here in wonderful Lugoff, SC. We really need them and will be a big help with the Roadmaster.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 07, 2008 12:08AM

Thank you very much Tom! That will certainly make the bodywork easier.

The crossmember is now completed. However in the photos you may notice the conspicuous absence of a shock mount for the coil-over units. This is because we do not yet have them of course, and the reason for that is because I'm pretty sure we don't have enough cash in the account to buy them. I'll double check with Steve next week in any case but we also need to decide what we want to use. I think possibly the QA1's from Summit might work, seems the pricing on those was pretty good. Anyway, we can just cut a chunk of 2x4 or something to stick in there and hold up the car so we can get it to the meet.
MVC-619S.JPG

Here's a close-up of the pinion angle adjustment slot and cushion mount. I went ahead and cut these to allow the full range of pinion angle adjustment, from the stock Jaguar 6 degrees down to zero. We expect to be right in the middle of that range and that will give us adequate clearance from the bodywork. Once the assembly is bolted into the car and the pinion angle is set, these bolts are locked down and the front of the bracket is drilled using the other shock mount bolt hole as a guide.
MVC-620S.JPG

This shot shows the teeth of the hardened washers which will bite in and securely lock the slot adjustment.
MVC-622S.JPG

Last but not least, here is the completed mount sitting atop the Jag diff, (almost) ready to be jacked up into place under the car.
MVC-624S.JPG

Next task is to take final measurements and cut and narrow the axles and LCA's. Steve, I think there's an excellent chance I'll have that done by the time you get here next week.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 12:21AM by BlownMGB-V8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 07, 2008 12:24AM

Looking good, Jim!

It's really coming together. Wish I could afford talent like that!

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: June 09, 2008 03:42AM

Jim,

That cross member you made is very custom top notch work I must say.

Well thought out with the pinion adjustment way cool.

I can't wait to see some more of your work on this project.

This makes me want to go out and purchase a big Smithy [www.smithy.com]

Calvin

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 09, 2008 06:27PM

"Under the spreading chestnut tree the village Jonesy stands..." Anyone know the next line? (Moose and squirrel)

There's a lot you can do with that modeling equipment. Patience and a good imagination can take you a long way.

There is one place where the design is a little weak, that being the adjustment slot of course. However, once the adjustment is set the tooth washer can be welded to the bracket thereby permanently locking the angle. We'll probably do that on the Roadmaster due to the torque it'll be handling.

I haven't had the chance yet to look at coil-over units, maybe this evening.

Jim

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: June 10, 2008 08:25AM

Rocky says something like "Jonesy? Shouldn't it be Smithy?" And Bullwinkle explains some moose logic....

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 10, 2008 10:04AM

Ah yes, indeed it was! So what was the next line in the rhyme? I just can't quite grasp it.

Nothing new to report today except that I did look into coil over shocks and springs. We're looking at something in the neighborhood of $500 by the time you figure in the cost of the shocks and the springs. I know it'd be nice to be able to tune the suspension but for this we either need a sponsor or a large donation. In any case that would have to happen immediately for us to be able to get them on the car for the meet. Anybody need a moderately large tax deduction?

I've been kept pretty busy with fixing the pool and other things after the big storm so haven't gotten back to the Roadmaster yet and today I'm in the office for awhile. To be honest I'm working up my nerve to cut the axles. Got to be right on when I do that, really no room for errors. I think what I'll do is to bolt up the axle assemblies off the one for my roadster, put on the wheels and tires and take measurements and use those to cut the axles and LCA's. It's probably the most intimidating part of the conversion, even though the task itself isn't really that hard to do. If it's done right, the rest of the work in that area will be a good bit easier but if not, then all sorts of troubles can creep in. One thing that concerns me is the camber change that would result from cutting equal segments from the axle and LCA. The two do not run exactly parallel, and to preserve the exact geometry that now exists would require a slight difference in the length of the cutout. How slight I do not yet know, but I soon will. It could be inconsequential, it could be easily adjusted with the rotor end shims. I doubt it will be that much, but I can't disregard it until I know. So that's what's on the agenda for this evening, provided the pool plumbing goes smoothly. Wish me luck! On the bright side of things, I was able to ride the bike to work today so maybe I'm catching up a little.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.