(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 19, 2010 11:57AM

I've been so wound up with getting this done that I forgot. You know what, that's also the weekend of the Putnam Park Chump Car series and I really did want to see that race. So how about this, Steve will probably get here on Thursday and we'll get the big things out of the way by Friday evening. Maybe if we can get enough done we could load up the car, go watch the race and then head on out to Terry's place to deliver it.

I don't know if anyone could take a Friday off to help out, but then again so far Steve is the only person who has said they'd come.

>>> Chump Car is the extremely low budget clunker/junker race where the winning car can be bought for $2500 after the race. I just gotta see that.

JB

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: July 19, 2010 12:16PM

Jim,
If we are taking the car to Terry, when will we get back to your place?
I can be there on thursday, but will need to take monday off to return home. That would certainly suit me.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 19, 2010 06:49PM

That might work, I guess we'll get it sorted out before long.

Work has resumed on the car, and it is up on the lift. That noise we heard from the rear was indeed the tires hitting the inner fenders, there are black marks on both sides in about the same spots. First off, the springs on the coilover shocks need uprated. Those are 250 lb springs and I think we should go to 375 lb springs. Fast Cars sourced the springs originally and Ted said if we didn't mark them up he could take them back and get us heavier ones if we needed them so I guess the next thing would be to contact Ted and ask about doing that. It would also be a good idea to put taller bump stops inside the top caps. The ones we have are maybe 3/4" tall and we could stand to double that, but I don't know what is available there.

Anyway, I'll keep posting as there is stuff to report.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 20, 2010 05:02PM

Did a little work on the rear wheelwells today

MVC-641F.JPG

MVC-642F.JPG

MVC-643F.JPG

MVC-644F.JPG

Seams are now fully welded but the passenger's side is still missing the front and rear lower patch panels and the inner arch needs bumped out a bit more. Just barely touches at full compression. I've found a couple of rubber pieces to add to the bump stops.

I talked to Ted Lathrop (Fast Cars) earlier today. He said he can exchange the springs for some 375 lb ones and that should firm up the rear nicely.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 21, 2010 09:23PM

A couple more photos:

MVC-645F.JPG

MVC-646F.JPG

Now attaching the outer tubs and 1/4" wire bead. Pretty smooth so far except I trimmed a bit too much off the driver's side at the meet. Oh well, I'll just have to form up a couple of pieces to replace the ends. Since that's got to be done anyway, on that side they'll just have to be a bit longer.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 22, 2010 09:18PM

Inner fenders and wire beads are installed and welded.

MVC-651F.JPG

MVC-653F.JPG

Ready for the outer skin. I may go to the front of the car next before forming the flares and finish that part up, find out tomorrow.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 22, 2010 10:06PM

Three items of interest, all the weekend after Labor Day.

1) Chump Car racing series at Putnam Park on Saturday the 11th of September, 9:00-4:00.
2) Tentatively scheduled delivery of the MGB-Roadmaster to Terry Schulte in Sioux Falls immediately thereafter. Since Putnam Park is on the way to Sioux Falls the races will be a stop on the way.
3) Work weekend scheduled to prep the car immediately prior to delivery.

So far:
1) Dave Kirkman has volunteered to come help with the car over Labor Day weekend.
2) Steve DeGroat has volunteered to come up Thursday, help prep the car and assist with the delivery, returning home on Monday.

This is the big final push. If you’ve kept up with the progress you know that with no other assistance offered so far other than Dave and Steve I’m making the final part of the build happen as you read this. It’s not easy. But I fully intend to meet the above deadline one way or another. If you ever intend to pitch in on this build, now is the time. As of now the rear inner fenders and fender lips are completed but there is still a list of 5 key items that need to be completed prior to tear down

July 31- Aug. 4
Aug 29
On the above dates I won’t be available to work on the car but otherwise should be here, slaving away. Come and help if you can.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 23, 2010 08:58PM

No pictures today. I worked on the flares, formed up some pieces and had a fair fit on the front 3/4 and had it fitting into place with tack welds but when I got to that rear quarter I had a big bulge. The metal needed shrinking. So not being a sheet metal guy I did the natural thing and grabbed up my trusty torch and that's when things got real ugly real fast. I got it shrunk, and even back to a rough approximation of the shape it needs but the operative word here is rough. There is going to be a need for bondo.

Well, what can I say? I warned every one of you that if I had to do this job the results were going to be unpredictable and so now here we are. I'm sure glad it's the weekend because I'm tired of working on it and I need to take a couple days off and think about it.

The other side isn't tacked on yet so maybe there is still some hope for that side, but likely as not it'll be a repeat. Let's just hope the fiberglass work goes better... I have even less expertise with that.

JB

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 23, 2010 11:01PM

Jim, what shape are you going for on the flares -- something like sebring flares or where they curve vertically as well as around the arch? Or more like the Omni flares that are flat vertically & curve in essentially 1 dimension? Recall I had to make my omni flares wider in the back so had to make a portion of the flares. I used some poster board to figure out the shape where they attached to the car. Also used a thin piece of wood bent into a bow with string to ensure the curve was even. Once I cut the metal out I just had to put the curve in it with a slip roll & then twist the ends a little to tie in at the bottom of the car. Since you're doing the full flares, you'd need wire or some other way to finish the outer edge, but the idea can maybe be leveraged? Here are a few pics...
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (4).jpg
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (17).jpg
2009-03-18 Rear Flare extensions (3).jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 26, 2010 09:44PM

No new pictures today either but the driver's side fender is now firmly tacked on.

I switched off to the front end. All but 3 welds are done there and it's looking good. I cut the frame stubs to match the angle of the "tusks" and plated the ends, reinforcing the attachment in the process. I also reworked the driver's side for radiator hose clearance and I think we're good there, and added a bit to both sides for fender attachment in the grille areas. Then I started on the slam panel brackets and have worked out the details, and should finish up on that tomorrow. I need some 1-7/8" square tubing for the bumper brackets but there's no rush on that.

So, good progress and I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow. Looks like we've rescheduled Dave Kirkman's visit for the 21st of August and I think we'll be ready to begin teardown by then. Steve also mentioned coming up in August, I'd say that weekend would be a good one for a work crew.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 27, 2010 11:02PM

Photos: The perspective isn't what it should be, and especially makes the front end shot look much more "toothy" than it actually appears. Once the bumper goes on it'll look much more in proportion.

MVC-657F.JPG

The slam panel is complete except for the hood latch. Unfortunately I just copied the pattern from the old slam panel without looking at the latch and it has to be turned around to work so I'll have some extra work there.

MVC-658F.JPG
Quote:
First, the RM and also my roadster run a Summit generic aluminum radiator that is approximately 2" x 32" x 17" and costs a couple hundred dollars US along with a Camaro dual fan that's about a hundred. Pretty cheap setup for that level of cooling. The slam panel was about $40 and square and rectangular tubing less than $50. And a little paint and a few bolts.
The triangular pieces are removable and are held by the fender bolts. The front weld nut on each side has been drilled through and the triangular piece has a section of 1/4" strap welded to it that is threaded.

The slam panel secures the top of the radiator, the radiator fan, the grille, the hood latch, and the safety catch. The AC condenser is separately attached, make sure the safety catch does not contact it.

There is a lower support structure that also protects the bottom of the radiator that is integral with the bumper supports and the frame rails. You should be able to find a photo of that on the Roadmaster thread. Essentially the splash pan and frame rails were cut along the inner fender line and replaced with 2 x 2 x 1/16" square tubing with stubs running up and down at the front. The lower stub got a length of 1 x 2 x 1/8" rectangular tube joining them as the lower support with a 1" angle iron support for the fan. The parallel 2" tubes at the front that terminate as the bumper supports get a 1-7/8" square telescoping section that is welded to the bumper bracket and a 3/8" through bolt on each side with a welded nut for easy bumper removal.

The Camaro fan runs the motors in series for low speed and parallel for high. This requires 3 relays.

The rework for the radiator hose came out fine but the welds will need some clean up when the engine comes out.

MVC-659F.JPG

Not a great shot of the flare. It actually does look a little better than in the photo.

MVC-656F.JPG

JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 01:56PM by MGBV8.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: July 28, 2010 10:04AM

Jim

I'd like to see more photos of the rear flares when you have time.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 28, 2010 11:11AM

Jim, really nice work. The slam panel is great! I knew it would be good, but it really looks better now that the brackets and stuff are in place. The flare, both inner and outer are very nice. Good work on the English wheel. Wish I could have been there to see you work the metal, I would have definitely learned something from you. Any idea what we can do about the interference with the upper radiator hose and the alternator and belt?

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: July 28, 2010 10:00PM

Nice!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 28, 2010 10:02PM

Dave Kirkman is helping with that. I noticed the thermostat neck on Tim Duhammel's car pointed straight forward and Max had the part number, so Dave got one and we'll fit that when he's here Aug 27th & 28th and see if we can find a one piece hose to match. Or cut and splice the one we have. Either way we'll eliminate that big loop.

Jim, I'll get some better shots soon.

The front is finished except for the bumper attachments and the air dam, and about 5 minutes clean up work with the grinder. The hood latch is installed, hooked up, and works correctly. I went shopping for pots and pans and found a couple I think will be useful in making the new air cleaner base/tray that will seal to the bottom of the hood. Luckily I have a decent stock of aluminum sheet that should be heavy enough for the tray. Graingers carries 1/8" thick fiberglass sheets in 24 x 24" size so I plan to get one and use that to trim and reinforce the hood cutout. That leaves bonding the flares and creating a reinforcement for the opening, and tacking on the other flare, and we should be ready to begin tear down.

JB

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: July 28, 2010 11:29PM

Looks good Jim, I like the round opening in the rear flares. I think the Sebring rears would look better if they were trimmed up more rounded like the front. Just my opinion. When you do the front fiberglass ones, look up West Systems Marine Epoxy(G/Flex adhesive). I have used their bonding resin on scoops,flares and helping a friend build a river boat. I used a 80 grit DA sander on both surfaces. Just paint on a generous coat on both surfaces like you would contact cement. Use sheet metal screws or rivets to attach. Never has cracked! You smear what oozes out the seam, as filler.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 02:52AM by mgb260.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2010 08:24PM

I'll try to get you those photos tomorrow, if not it'll be the end of next week before I'm able to do it, which should be about the time I begin to attach the other flare.

Today was the air cleaner. The plan: To make a new filter base that will support a tray that fits below the air cleaner assembly and seals to the hood when it is closed over the air cleaner. Towards that end, yesterday I bought a heavy aluminum cake pan and a big aluminum skillet. These will become the assembly that supports the tray, which will be made of sheet aluminum that is probably around .045" thick. First the cake pan.

This pan had straight sides and a flat bottom with a radius of maybe 1/4" at the bottom. So the first thing I needed was a buck to use in flattening out that curve. I selected a pine "stump" I've been using on the flare work and set to with axe and then skillsaw and finally belt sander to get the shape I needed.

MVC-657aF.JPG

Here is the log before sanding, and you can see where I used a mallet on the corners of the pan, working from the inside. Not a bad start but the metal along the sides is stretching, going the wrong way.

MVC-657aF (2).JPG

Next using the sander I smoothed the log.

MVC-657aF (1).JPG

After which I began working from the outside.

MVC-660F.JPG

As you can see the metal was shrunk quite a bit and a lot of dimples were created at the same time. More to come...

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2010 08:35PM

Alternating inside and outside mallet work I got a reasonable shape and adequate room for airflow:

MVC-661F.JPG

Next, another round, and this time beginning on the bottom:

MVC-662F.JPG

Looked pretty rough. I needed more room to stretch out the bottom, so I set to work making a larger cavity, eventually ending up with this:

MVC-663F.JPG

To get there I used a large holesaw and cut as deep as it would go, then hollowed out the inside with a forstner bit, then chiseling away the last bits. I used my angle grinder and belt sander to smooth the edges. After that the final shape began to take form:

MVC-664F.JPG

This allowed me to continue smoothing and stretching the bottom. To be continued (TBC)...

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2010 08:47PM

Eventually the bottom split. Fine by me, I expected that but I could have prevented it by annealing the metal. Anyway this let me stretch the metal out to conform to the bore, which was 5-1/2" diameter, just a bit oversize for the carb throat:

MVC-665F.JPG

Taking advantage of that, I shrunk the metal back inward, forming a lip to sit on the carb gasket, and after a considerable amount of hammering I had the shape I wanted.

MVC-666F.JPG

Next the skillet: I cut the bottom out and removed the handle, and then with just a bit of shrinking around the hole to match the base I had this:

MVC-670F.JPG

Now it's ready for the tray. I've cut the center hole and notched the corners for bending and will visit a friend who has a press brake, possibly tomorrow and then begin fitting that up. Here is how it looks with the filter element:

MVC-669F.JPG

TBC...

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2010 08:54PM

...and finally, with the air cleaner in place:

MVC-667F.JPG

Last, a shot of the front of the car.

MVC-668F.JPG

You may wonder why I didn't use the filter base we had. It was a bit flimsy, did not fit the carb as well as it might have, and this one gave about 3/4" more drop and tilts the air cleaner forward slightly. It is very stout and has a strong bead at the bottom also. I had a lot of fun making it too, plus it is one more unique item specifically designed and built for the car. I'm just sorry you guys didn't get to see the whole process.

JB
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.