(9 posts)

04/04/2010 10:44PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1979 3.4L Chevrolet, T-5 BW Transmision

authors avatar
Electrical problems
Posted by: MGV
Date: May 22, 2010 11:51PM

I installed the 3.4L + T-5 on my MGB after removed to fix the clutch.
It was starting with no problems.
Now dosen't start, and 2 of the stainless steel hoses I have are getting very hot.
I know I have a short of some kind, I have tray everything I know to find it.
I took the starter & battery to be check both of them are OK.
I need suggestions.
Thanks

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Electrical problems
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 23, 2010 03:17AM

It sounds like your engine isn't properly grounded to the body of the car. You MUST have a ground strap, and it doesn't hurt to have two. Most people install one in the vicinity of a motor mount, and some people install a second one to the transmission. In terms of cable gauge, they should be comparable in size to the cables that connect to your battery. You can buy pre-made ground straps from any auto parts store. They come in two types: ones that look like battery cable and ones that are flat and have braided construction. Either kind will work, but the braided kind is better for eliminating radio frequency noise issues and is also generally more resistant to mechanical fatigue.

If your stainless hoses have gotten very hot, don't be too surprised if they're internally damaged and need to be replaced soon.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: May 23, 2010 09:06AM

I have a friend with an unconverted (4 cyl) 71 B who forgot to install the ground strap at the right hand engine mount. The accelerator cable became the engine ground and had to be replaced. I had a bad ground on one of the T-Buckets I built and all the instruments would follow the tachometer (fiberglass cars don’t provide much conductivity, so grounds are pretty important). I agree, one is better than none and two is better than one.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 23, 2010 09:28AM

PS: As Carl recently pointed out, and even though I’m never completely wrong in that case he was right, I don’t always know what I’m talking about, so I make no recommendations here; BUT!! In building hot rods we made our own battery cables so as to get the length more pleasing to the eye and soldered the ends on ourselves. While the failure rate was rather low, it wasn’t non-existent. I use the braded strap now with no problems.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 23, 2010 12:16PM

On the MGB, I like to run the ground cable from the battery directly to the transmission tailshaft. It's the most direct connection to the starter that you can have, and if you buy a cable with the extra wire it's easy to ground that to the body, at which point you have no more concerns with grounds.

JB

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 23, 2010 03:25PM

Thanks Jim, that's a good idea, I haven't wired mine yet and think I'll try that. "P"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.