Colorado Springs
(14 posts)

06/01/2010 10:09PM

Main British Car:
1959 Bugeye Sprite, 50's MG Special Toyota 2-TC 1600cc, MGB 1800

1950's MG Specials
Posted by: ToyBug
Date: June 03, 2010 03:23AM

MG sportscars have been the subject of "Special" makings since the get-go. I think the very first MG could be considered a "Special". I have attached some pix of fifties MG Specials to illustrate the type. Ken Miles R1, Gillespie MG, Bud Hand MG, and my concept sketch.
The book from Ron Champion about building your own "LoCost seven" was the inspiration I needed to get going on my own MG Special.
I know "it's been done", but..... To that end, I have accumulated most of the hard bits to begin with: MGB engine, front suspension, rear axle, steering, brakes and instruments. To this, I'll add a multitubular frame, a Nissan 300zx fivespeed, new 5x15" and 6x15" Dayton wire wheels, Datsun 240z rear alfin drum brakes, Vredestein Sprint Classic tires, a track T roadster glass nose, cycle fenders and some aluminum for the bodywork. Anybody else interested in this sort of thing?
I'd love to hear if any others are being built.
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs, CO
MG-R1 at Monterey.jpg
Gillespie MG at Stockton 1953.jpg
HandMG 006.jpg
frame sketch002.jpg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: 1950's MG Specials
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 03, 2010 08:06AM

Dan, I have a similar project in mind if I ever get my MGA 6 completed. Figure I'll have two MGs with different engines, I should have a custom car with an MG drive line to balance. I planned on going more for the pre war look similar to the car shown in the photo, a Wolseley I believe, but with 15" wires. I'm planning on solid axles and leaf springs to keep the car more period.
WolseleyHornet-side.jpg
That will be a while though, the MGA is far from finished and I haven't been working on it much, busy with other things.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 03, 2010 02:17PM

Cool!

I suppose you've found this article already, haven't you?
Dan Leonard's 1949 MG TC Special Race Car, Number 409

http://www.britishracecar.com/DanLeonard-MGTC/DanLeonard-MGTC-BB.jpg

I hope to discover a couple more specials at the MG Vintage Racers meet next month.

Bonus: I know Dan is/was planning to bring his other car... a Speedwell Sprite!

ToyBug
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs
(14 posts)

06/01/2010 10:09PM

Main British Car:
1959 Bugeye Sprite, 50's MG Special Toyota 2-TC 1600cc, MGB 1800

Posted by: ToyBug
Date: June 03, 2010 08:47PM

I have seen the article, thanks to Hugh Nutting, who also has a TD-like special, built in Denver maybe 30 years ago. I also had a look at the remains of the Hand car several years ago in LA. It had been wrecked at a race in central CA, partially disassembled and there it sets. I'll post some pics of it later. Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.