(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Front Disc on a TD
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: June 03, 2010 08:17PM

What would you have to do to put disc brakes on a TD ? Its not like they put them on the MK3 and MK4 TD !
How come there are no TD's in the MG gallery here ? I was just talking to a friend of mine who has a TD and he is getting tired of it because it doesn't have much power. This is true they are only have 44hp and weigh almost 2000lb's , they truly can't get out of their own way. I told him he should put a zetec engine in it 130hp , that should make it go ! But if he does this it needs front disc don't you think? If he could make it go as good as it looks it would be a great car, looks new only has 12,000 actual miles on it.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Front Disc on a TD
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 03, 2010 09:25PM

Quote:
How come there are no TD's in the MG gallery here?

It ain't for lack of trying! I've chased a lot of leads. Earlier today I traded e-mails with one guy about a TC with a Buick 215... but I no longer add cars to the gallery unless I receive both photos and how-it-was-done info. The photos need to be of reasonable quality, and they need to show some technical detail. It's deeply frustrating when people send two or three photos of their car's exterior and then ignore me when I ask for more complete information.

If you've got a hankering to see a TD V8, here's a pretty badass example:

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/GaryGlojek/GaryGlojek-AA.jpg

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/GaryGlojek/GaryGlojek-BA.jpg

http://www.britishv8.org/mg/GaryGlojek/GaryGlojek-CA.jpg

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: June 03, 2010 09:52PM

Some that modify the TD swap in MGA front hubs and disc brakes, but you should also address the master cyl as they are not up to the required pressure increase needed for the swap.

You might also address the rear with MGB drums.

as for engine swaps, you might want to look at ones that need minor modifications internal and keep the external original, maybe a Volvo B20 with Volvo four speed OD box is closer to the original or 1600cc Ford that will alter the driving character of the TD.

Anything wider than the GM V6 or 289/302 Ford v8 will require some detailed modifications and will alter the driving style of the TD.

It just depends on what your friend loves about the TD and wants to keep or what he is willing to give up to gain his goals.

Do a google search and you will locate others out there!

Another option is to sell the TD if he is tired of it and step up to something like a SB Tiger, MBG Rover V8, or Morgan +8

But be supportive and helpful!

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: June 04, 2010 12:04AM

Hey Curtis,
Too bad people won't show off their creations. I was talking one of my best friends about looking about how I was trying to find a rust free MGB and he told me " I just sold one I got tired of restoring it" he had spent the last year building a new house and had been all into that. I didn't even know he was restoring a car, it was at his brothers, the guy he sold it to didn't finish paying for it, I tried to see if he could get it back. He had spent a year replacing the rockers, the floor and said it was rust free. So that just shows you !
William

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 04, 2010 08:19AM

Will, I think the reason you don't see a lot of modified T series cars is that they are so valuable these days, worth more restored than modified. A lot of them were modified back in the early 60s for drag racing, but those were in most cases pretty chopped up. There are a few being built these days, I've seen posts on other forums from guys wanting to upgrade their TDs, but it's rare compared to those restoring these cars. As for the disc brakes, part of the problem as a simple upgrade is the wide lug pattern used by the TD. If you change to MGA or MGB components you then have to use MGA or Triumph wheels. The master cylinder and pedal design also doesn't work well with discs, so that has to be modified which is quite a bit of work. Bill Wardlow has upgraded several TDs with MGB running gear at this shop in Colorado over the past few years. Most of those guys use MGA wheels with the T hubcaps or wires and the cars still look basically stock. (Ok, I know wires weren't stock, but many Ts have been converted to use them)
Jack Dowling has a very nice TD with a small block Ford installed that I've seen photos of. I hope Curtis can get the information from him on that car and his MGA at Indy.

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: June 04, 2010 12:21PM

Bill,
I think I talked him out of it. This car only has 12,000 miles on it . it looks like you just stepped back to 1965 and was looking at a TD someone owned and had really drove that much. This is a incredible survivor, nothing on it needs restoring, it would be nuts to do anything to it IMO. I have seen that 289 top loader 4 speed TD , so nicely done it looks like it came that way. I want my Bugeye - Midget clone to look like it was made by Austin - Healey and came with a double overhead cam engine. Everything modern yet retro and factory engineered looking right down to the Austin - Healey logo on my carbon fiber durotec valve cover.
William
Carbon Fiber Valve Cover.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.