John Gamble

(19 posts)

03/25/2009 10:34PM

Main British Car:
1960 MGA 2.3 Ford Duratec

Body Work Order of things
Posted by: Seventy7INa45
Date: June 19, 2010 12:23AM

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted here about my MGA project. It is getting a 2.3 ford cosworth motor built to around 250 hp. Right now though, my primary concern is body work.

The frame has rust around the inside of the door areas and it needs to be taken care of. The hood surround and nose has a lot of bondo on it, and since this restoration no longer has a small budget, it will also be replaced. The sill and pillar areas are also very rough. I know that to allign these properly, it needs to be welded with the frame still in place, but would it be better to remove the body, fix the frame, fit the body back and do the repairs? Or do the body repairs, then remove the body, fix the frame, and then re-attach the body? I am planning on fitting the drive-train without the body in place to get it to sit where it needs to be. Any information is helpful. Thank you

John

also I almost forgot, where is a good place to get a spot weld cutter bit? I know harbor freight has one, but is there anywhere else with a better quality one? Thanks

spridget
bill green
Maine
(69 posts)

03/22/2008 01:29PM

Main British Car:
3 1980 TR8, 1 TR7 2 Bugeye Sprite 1 MG midget TR8 3.5 and 5.0, Sprite 1098 and ?

Re: Body Work Order of things
Posted by: spridget
Date: June 19, 2010 04:39PM

Eastwood sells one but I don't know about quality. I would guess your local nut/bolt/tool store or autobody supply would have one. When you find one you are happy with please make a post. I will also need one in the future. Bill

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 19, 2010 11:13PM

John, my advice would be to first reinforce the body tub across the door openings either with some weld in pieces or a bolt in section then pull the body off the frame and make the repairs needed there. Then reinstall the body and do the sills with the body on the frame using it for a jig. The final body work can be done off the frame after the sills are complete. Plenty of good photos of MGA frame and body repair on the Eclectic Motor Works site and I have some photos of the work I've done on my car if you want I can send them. The important thing is to maintain the alignment between the front and rear sections of the body while you do the work on the sills so the doors will fit correctly after you're done.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: July 02, 2010 05:23PM

John, you neede a BLAIR spot weld cutter , they come in different sizes they have a spring loaded center to locate the thing
(use a sharp center punch ) and definitly as Bill said, try to stiffen up the body before removal, just tack weld some 3/4 conduit
across the cockpit and the door openings,good luck !
Dave Craddock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.