(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Centering the gas tank
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: July 08, 2010 10:59PM

I’ve read that some have moved their gas tanks to the center to make clearance for the right exhaust. How exactly is this accomplished and is it all that difficult to do?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Centering the gas tank
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 08, 2010 11:42PM

Paul, most everyone is at the V8 meet in Indy so responses will likely be slow till next week. I centered mine -- pretty easy. You simply cut a rectangular section around the hole for the filler, flip it around 180*, & weld it back in to move the hole over... You'll have to drill some new holes through the floor to account for the new location & fill the old ones, but that's about it. I'd post some pics but just looked & apparently I didn't take any when I did it.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 09, 2010 11:01AM

Thanks Rob, that sounds pretty stright forward. Right now I have the origional tank installed but think I'll center mine when I get the new tank. Thanks again, "P"

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 10, 2010 03:51PM

I personally like what Ted (Fast Cars) does to the roadster by moving the fuel cap to the top. He notches the trunk lid. It takes lots of skills although. It all comes down to how much time (and money) someone is willing to invest to personalize their ride.

In my wild thinking, I would like to go the modern-retro way and have the spare tire take the place of the fuel tank and move the tank (custom fabrication) where Triumph installed their tanks; someone could cut out the floor of a trunk in a salvage yard that has the tire drop-in type. It would also give the opportunity to have a center exit exhaust of custom look and keep the fuel at cooler temperature. Now, if I could only hit the lottery…….

My two cents!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 10, 2010 04:23PM

Not sure where it is on a triumph... wWhere would the fuel tank go if you did that/

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 10, 2010 05:10PM

That’s an intriguing idea Jacques. We tend to stay with the traditional way of doing things but you may have some pretty good ideas there. I’m not sure I have the skills to accomplish such a project, nor am I enough of a tin man to move the gas filler to the side, but it has been one of my goals since the first picture I saw of Dan’s car. For now I just want to get it back on the road, but will at some point in the future, do a lot of the mods. I don’t recommend any of us run around without a spare but we don’t have that luxury on a T-Bucket and we do pretty well. A gas tank where the spare goes gets my attention, I don't know how to do it, but it makes me think.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 11, 2010 12:30AM

Paul/Rob,

The idea came from Ted and my spare tire, although being compact, the spare got on my nerve by taking lots of trunk space. The TR-6 has a longer back end; therefore it would take some good engineering to fabricate a fuel tank that would hold a comparable amount of fuel capacity as the original MGB. The other encounter is the trunk lid hinges, I'm not sure how, or, if a hinge substitute could be used.

I wish that I could go through with it because of the improvements IMHO that it would bring about. I know that there are lots of cars that store their spare tire in the trunk, but, they usually have also a much larger trunk area. If I decide to go this way, the whole idea will rely on fabricating a 16 gage fuel tank that would bolt down in place of the rear bulkhead behind the seats. In my early evaluation, I found out that the tank would have to take away some of the space behind the seat and also in the trunk; having said that, I calculated that it maybe possible to yield 12 to 14 gallons of fuel.

Some friends have replied with a four letter word "K.I.S.S.", however, it all depends on the gains in the trade off.

(The appeal side)
1. More trunk space, even with intrusion of the fuel tank on bulkhead side.
2. Better filler tube arrangement.
3. Cooler fuel, by not having hot mufflers close to the tank on each side.
4. Bottom drop spare tire or recessed storage.
5. More exhaust and rear valance options.
6. Street rod, modern-retro looks.

(The not so appealing)
1. Lots of work. (KISS?)
2. Custom fuel tank cost (16 gage).
3. Advanced skills required.
4. EFI pump? Fuel gauge?
5. Trunk hinges modification.

I've included a photo of Ted's fuel cap design. This is really a gear head project, and someone has to think hard about the plus and minus. If tastefully done, I think that it may bring a personalized touch worthy of the efforts, “no pain, no gain?” Maybe, I’m just a glutton for pain ;-)
Gas cap I want.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 11, 2010 09:04AM

Jacques,

It is an interesting idea and would be unique. It is also a ton of work & you'd need to consider things like
* safety - keeping the tank & any spilled fuel out of the passenger compartment in the event of an accident
* design of the tank so the top still has room to fold down
* structural regidity of the unibody. probably not too difficult to address this one, but doing so will take up some of the potential space too

I think I'm with your friends -- K.I.S.S. -- find a donut spare that's the same lug pattern & approx diameter & move along. I'd have my car on the road today if I'd remembered that principle earlier!

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 11, 2010 10:40PM

Paul,

1. As far as safety goes, I would much rather have the fuel tank over the axle than below the trunk area; many rear-end collision have resulted in explosions with burnt victims (and law suit).

2. Bulkhead strength would increase with a 16 gage box (fuel tank) bolted all around with a flange.

3. Space lost is minor compared to what the final gain would be.

4. The top issue is moot once you put it down, not much usable space under it.

5. I don’t see much of an issue with fuel spilling on people in case of a roll over; keep in mind that Triumph has used this approach for years

As I've stated prior in my posting, one has to weigh out the plus and minus and decide between "K.I.S.S." or proceed. Gear heads like me can't help themself (LOL)

My two cents worth!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 11, 2010 11:39PM

I'm actually with you on all the points except #5. The Detroit big 3 used to have the fuel tank behind the bench seat in pickups until they got wiser (or legistated to have to get wiser). At a minimum I'd create a new rear bulkhead to seperate the tank from the passenger compartment.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 12, 2010 03:57AM

I have a GT so a bulkhead wouldn't be practicle. I'm not sure what the capicity of a tank under the rear deck would be, but it is a thought.

"P"

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 13, 2010 02:16PM

Check the photo galleries... there are lots of photos of alternative fuel filler designs.

If you like the look of a recessed license plate, then hinging the plate and hiding the fuel filler behind it might suit. I don't think anyone had done that to their MG yet, have they? One thing I really hate is splashing or dripping fuel onto paint, so a fuel filler centered above the boot lid would worry me no end.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: July 13, 2010 02:58PM

Would a TR7 or Spitfire tank and filler setup fit?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 13, 2010 04:27PM

If you want to raise the fuel filler up to the rear deck as I did on my Midget or the rear fender as Rob did on his B it's not hard. Easiest way to make the connection to the tank is to leave the original filler opening in the tank and use some exhaust tubing U bends to form the extension up to the filler. Use fuel tank connection hoses and good clamps and it's as safe a connection as the original. The plus is that you can get an extra gallon or so in the inlet for some extra range between fills as well.
Top fasteners.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:29PM by Bill Young.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 13, 2010 04:48PM

Bill, to make my connection I used exhaust bends for the curves, but filler hose mostly. I was concerned about the filler rusting & the rust getting in the fuel. I'd rather have more pipe/less hose. Are you aware of something that the inside of the pipe can be coated with to minimize that? Tank is aluminum so only steel in the path would be the filler neck. Wasn't sure if aluminized pipe is aluminized on the inside or just outside.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 18, 2010 01:25AM

Curtis, in my case of modern-retro look, I would not use a flip top cap such as what Ted uses; besides, I don't want to be a complete copy cat (LOL). I would use a remote fuel door and a modern fuel spill tray inside of it, something like my Miata uses. When refueling time comes, I would (just like my Miata) pull on a lever inside the car to have the door flip open; also, any fuel that may drip would be contained in the tray area.

I know that Rob mentioned that he does not like to have a fuel tank behind him like the old pick-up trucks; however, this is a little different and better housed in the body. GM got suit when they moved their fuel tank from inside the cab to outside because it was mounted to the outside of the frame rails and exploded on impact; they remedied the problem by moving it inside the frame rails. Moreover, if someone really fears fuel spilling on impact, they could always go with fuel cell technology.

They also sell a filler neck roll-over protection valve which could be installed if room permits it, but, I would feel safe with my flip door and tray design with a screw-on fuel cap housed inside.

djw090
David Witham
Warwick UK
(115 posts)

06/12/2008 11:20AM

Main British Car:
MGB 1974 and MG ZT 160 turbo 2005

Posted by: djw090
Date: July 19, 2010 05:11AM

Has anyone looked at making twin fuel tanks to replace the battery boxes?

I took some quick measurements once and guess you could get 2 x 5 gallon tanks in there.

However, I didn't go ahead and I have gone for a single battery one side and a storage box the other. Over here the insurance companies would be rather difficult about such a major change to a fuel tank.

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: July 22, 2010 10:33PM

Hey David,
Great idea on the fuel tanks in the battery box area! It makes sense to keep as much weight as possible between the axles! My old Jensen Healey had the behind the seat tank and it worried the heck out of me plus the weight was over the center of gravity. I guess it would be about a toss up between behind the rear axle or above it but the battery box area would be perfect!
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.