(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
CC 4 link install and axle swap combined
Posted by: smelfi
Date: July 24, 2010 07:29AM

This weekend I’ll be starting my Classic Conversions 4 link installation project on my 77 302 MBG. I doubt I’ll make much progress by Sunday evening so I thought I’d ask for advice on how to go about it for my situation which is I’ll be installing a narrowed 8.8 at the same time.
The write ups I’ve found so far only address how to go about it when the axle is already installed in the standard leaf spring configuration.
Should I pull the MGB axle and attach the 8.8 to the leaf springs and then follow the instructions, or should I take all the location measurements of the MGB axle, remove it with all the leaf spring suspension components and place the 8.8 at the same location relative to the car and procede. (I’ll center it so it doesn’t carry over the MGB axle side to side offset).
I’ve read Peter Plouf”s write up and will probably follow his “centering the axle” procedure if I go the route of removing all the MGB suspension components without first attaching the 8.8 to the MGB suspension.
I’m doing this in my garage on the floor. No lift. I’ll eventually center the gas tank so I’m taking it out prior to starting on the 4 link.

Bill G,
I was going to call you for advice but figured that a discussion in this forum would be beneficial to others down the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.