(12 posts)

07/29/2010 01:30PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

What flow master unit to use
Posted by: apexhunter
Date: July 29, 2010 01:56PM

Hello All,

New to the forum as a member ...... but this site was instrumental in fueling my hunt for an MGB V8. After months of searching including.... pricing up the costs from builders (as I dont rate myself as one of the greatest mechanics on earth) ....... I stumbled on a distress sale on E-Bay. I bought a completed conversion that has great build quality. When I finally post the photos on line - I will be sure to give this fellow all due credit ..... it was his pride and joy and I know he did not want to lose the car ..... but he knows that it is in a good home.

1971 MGB with a 4.2 Rover ....... it runs well and I have not had to do much other than minor repairs/modifications ..... However, it is way to Loud !!!..... and I would like to put some Flowmaster mufflers on ..... anyone out there have any experience with these ... I did see Ken Biermann's photos ...... the MGB that went to the St. Louis Car Museum and his install looks good ....but I dont know which ones are shown. I would suppose that I want the "thin ones" for ground clearance. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Alan
Boston, Mass

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: What flow master unit to use
Posted by: mgb260
Date: July 29, 2010 04:17PM

Flowmasters are loud also. Check out Thrush website they have fiberglass packed turbo type and welded Flowmaster type at much better prices. If you go the Flowmaster type you might want to add Pacesetter resonater tips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 04:18PM by mgb260.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: July 29, 2010 05:10PM

Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers also have fibreglass - and the ones I am using.
It's tough to get a balance between high performance (low backpressure), a quiet exhaust note, and yet have a mellow (non raspy) tone but these are not too bad. If they are a little loud for your liking, do as Jim suggests and add resonators at the tailpipe exit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 06:43PM by ex-tyke.

apexhunter
Alan Van Reed
Boston, Massachusetts
(12 posts)

07/29/2010 01:30PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

Posted by: apexhunter
Date: July 30, 2010 10:33AM

Hey Jim and Graham,

Thank you for the feed back ....... I did some more research on the Dynamax Super Turbo ....... I believe I will go with this one as a gets good reviews as a relatively quiet muffler that still has some mellow bellow ...... Graham do you recall the part number ?....... I suspect the one you went with would be in the ball park for me .

Alan
Boston

bplus
Tracy Moore
Jacksonville, Fl
(40 posts)

11/24/2008 06:36PM

Main British Car:
71' MGB GT 350 Chevrolet

Posted by: bplus
Date: July 31, 2010 09:36PM

Alan, If you go to you tube, you can hear mufflers first hand on vehicles.
Just type in the muffler type in the search option. My favorite are HP2's.
Take a listen to a set of them on a GTO on you tube, impressive for sure,
in my opinion anyway.

Tracy

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: August 01, 2010 01:37PM

[www.classicconversionseng.com]

Maganflow racing mufflers on the RD with two glasspacks for resonators.(dual exhaust)
67 GT Maganflow stainless muffler with one small galsspack for resonator (single exhaust)
Corsa Mufflers on the Vette.
Two large glasspacks on the Jag V6.

Glasspacks are Maganaflow or a good quality glasspack. Stay away from the cheaps ones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.