(12 posts)

07/29/2010 01:30PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

best source for MGB new old stock
Posted by: apexhunter
Date: August 04, 2010 05:04PM

Hello All,

Anyone out there that can recommend a good source or experience for MGB new old stock ...... specifically I am looking for a new column lock and ignition switch assembly for a 79 MGB ....... is Moss Motors the best? I am trying to avoid poorly made asian stuff.

Alan
Boston

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: best source for MGB new old stock
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 04, 2010 06:56PM

Moss Motors is definitely my favorite catalog for general restoration parts. I'd recommend them even if they weren't a pillar of the hobby, but Moss's ads help keep the lights on around here. Incidentally, when you visit and/or buy from the Moss website please consider entering it by clicking on their BritishV8 banner ad. (They track referrals...)

Sometimes however, used/junkyard parts are really hard to beat in terms of value and quality.

apexhunter
Alan Van Reed
Boston, Massachusetts
(12 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

Date: August 04, 2010 07:11PM

Thank You for the info. Curtis,

Their name keeps surfacing and I would guess that would be the safe bet ...... Will order thru your add. always good to give kudos to this site it really put me in to high gear looking for a conversion. I at
tm stoked by my "poor mans cobra" ..... actually I believe it is better in many ways than a Cobra but thats another discussion entirely ....

I do have another question (for anyone) out there in MGB V8 land. There must be a ton of NOS out their in the land (USA) We all know they made 500,000 of the MGB ..... some better than others 62-69 ... the others need a conversion .... but any info on NOS? Or, has it all been depleted by you guys?

Alan
Boston 1979 MGB V8 4.2

apexhunter
Alan Van Reed
Boston, Massachusetts
(12 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

Date: August 04, 2010 07:24PM

Sorry, after reflection back on my 4 banger days..... they all need conversion ,,,,,

Alan Boston
79 B 4.2 Rover

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: August 05, 2010 08:29AM

Alan, most of the original "dealer" stocks of spares are long gone or sold to various places like Moss or other parts sources. Good used parts are generally available from a lot of hobbiests around the country through e-bay or craigslist or various swap meets. Check with your local British Car club for which members might deal in used parts. A hint, many electrical type parts are the same for both MG as well as other marques of similar years. You might find your switch is the same for such as a Jag for instance and the dealer might have one there. For an ignition lock assembly I think if not Moss I'd try checking with either Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts [www.nosimport.com] or Jeff Zorn at the Little British Car Co. [www.lbcarco.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.