(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Flaming River Steering column for MGB
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 02, 2008 01:04PM

I'm not very familiar with the MG steering columns or their bushings, but when I designed the custom steering column for my car I used Garlock DU teflon-lined flanged bushings instead of needle bearings. They're cheap (at about $2 each), very easy to work with, and maintenance free. I think they're more durable than nylon. If you're curious, they're shown on page 24 of this catalog. (Note: it's a sixty page PDF, so it might take a minute to download) [www.ggbearings.com]

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: March 04, 2008 12:46AM

Curtis,

Thanks for the tips and the great bearing resource. I will measure, and see if I can buy the right size. Save me time to machine them. I'm waiting for my turn switch to arrive before I do any work on it.

I wasn't planning on using needle roller bearings in the column. I'm going to machine flanged bearings from MDS-Nylon. The Needle thrust washer is for the cancel pin rub contact point on the MDS bearing flange. Yes I'ts OVERkill I know, but If I had one that fit perfectly?

Arthur

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: March 04, 2008 11:25PM

Nigel,

You must be speaking of MKII A40 Farinas because my 1959 has a dash switch common to Bugeye (Frogeye) and MKII Sprite.

All this talk of switches has made me decide to go study the current market issues with the switches. Interesting ideas guys.

-BMC.

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 13, 2008 11:05AM

Jim,

The bore on the column was 1.152" and was slightly out of round. The shaft diameter at the upper bearing was 0.872" Only 6:" were machined. The balance of the shaft was mill finish 7/8" diameter.

The simple approach would be to pull out and toss the MGB split nylon bush at the top of the column. Machine a flanged bush that will press fit into the column and install a hardened thrust washer on which the turn signal canceling pin will ride. Install a thrust washer and shaft collar on the bottom of the steering shaft and column. Now the shaft cannot be pushed in as the upper thrust washer prevents that. It also cannot be pulled out as the shaft collar restricts that movement.

I decided to take this opportunity to re-engineer my column further by machining a new stainless steel column tube with flanged bushes 1 3/4" long at each end. The entire length of steering shaft also had to machined too and made slightly smaller to easily slide through the new top bush. I may add grease nipples to lube the bushes.

Arthur

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 13, 2008 01:52PM

You'd have thought they'd just have used TGP shafting. Not much difference in cost. Probably less that the machining time to turn one end.

The closest needle bearing is 7/8 x 1-1/8, different lengths available up to 1". There's also a 7/8 x 1-3/16 and 13/16 x 1-1/8. It has a drawn cup, that would be the least expensive. Naturally it''s possible to go with a full ground inner and outer race, but of course making the package larger and more expensive. The rest of the steering mechanism probably does not justify it. The ones above would be the best compromise, though eventually the needles would wear into the shaft.

Sizes for the full brodie are going to run .875 on the ID and 1.625 on the OD. That, your thrust bearings and your stainless tubing would make a fine steering column.

Jim

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 13, 2008 02:53PM

I had attached one photo of the new column and a close-up shot of each end, but some how they did not appear on my last post above. I do not know why? What do I need to have photos appear on this Forum?

Off the shelf bushes would have made this project less time consuming, but I could not find anything that would fit the undersized .872" end. I tried a stock bush and press fit it into an undersized hole in the new stainless column, but the results were not what I found acceptable.

The existing column is 1 1/4" OD and I wanted to keep it that size to fit everything else on the car. I believe I have have a great solution now and it looks great too.

If I can figure out the photo thing, I'll edit my post and include them.

Arthur

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 13, 2008 04:13PM

Arthur,
Your problem is the file size. The smallest one is 640, max size allowed is 600. So they just don't fit. I just set my camera for the size that fits, that way I don't have to resize, which can be a pain.

It's a good looking steering column. Much nicer than the bulky things MGB's come with.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.