barefoot
Barry O'Brien

(2 posts)

08/17/2010 11:23AM

Main British Car:

Gen II V6 motor mounts
Posted by: barefoot
Date: August 17, 2010 12:10PM

Scott's (2.8 / 3.1?) V6 in his MG is said to be a Generation II, a transverse engine with very different motor mount points, apparently using Classic Conversion Engineering motor mounts designed for a rear-wheel-drive block anyway! How? Are all the Gen II innards and heads loaded into a RWD block? If not, how do the mounts attach to the Gen II block?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Gen II V6 motor mounts
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: August 17, 2010 02:36PM

Barry, I'm not sure which car you're refering to but if it uses a Generation II style engine it's either had the Gen II heads and pistons bolted to a RWD block or 3.4 crate motor or uses homemade mounts or some from British Car Conversions which as far as I know is the only vendor for a mount kit for the Gen II engine. [www.britishcarconversions.com]
Gen II blocks didn't have the bosses on the sides for the RWD style mounts, so the CCE type mounts from Bill Guzman wouldn't fit.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(562 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: August 17, 2010 11:44PM

Barry,

I am using a Gen II FWD block. Enclosed are some pictures that should give you an idea of my approach. There are probably many ways to do this. I believe there are some differences in the later Gen III blocks but they are very doable as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

-- Scott

Right side of block

Right Side FWD Block.jpg

Left side of block

Left Side FWD Block.jpg

Right side motor mount

Right MM.jpg

Left side motor mount

Left MM.jpg

barefoot
Barry O'Brien

(2 posts)

08/17/2010 11:23AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: barefoot
Date: August 18, 2010 04:16PM

Excellent! Excellent! Exactly what I wanted to know --and good news besides! It will work with no more trouble than any other mixed-make engine swap I've done. Thank you, thank you! Your great photo details tell it all. The few 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4 engines (the owners weren't sure!) I've seen were buried, if not in weeds and critter nests, then in mandatory hoses and all. I'll build one over the winter, then get to the car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.