10/01/2010 11:31PM

Main British Car:
1957 MGA 350 SBC

authors avatar
New guy question about MGA front springs
Posted by: rickbseattle
Date: October 02, 2010 02:44AM

Hi,

First off, congrats and thanks to everybody for the amazing pictures, tech tips, and downright inspriational projects. I'm just starting to chew on my V8 MGA project, which I took off somebody else's hands last fall. I just added it to the Project Journals section for anybody who is interested.

I'm trying to take on something managable - front suspension rebuild. I'm converting to MGB upper arms, spindles, and shocks to get disk brakes and more room in the engine bay. My question is what springs I should use during reassembly? From my research and calcs, it looks like I'm gaining about 300+ lbs going from the stock motor + trans to the SB Chev + Muncie 4-speed. I'm OK with a little bit lower stance, but don't want to ride on the stops or have to rigid of spring rate.

Can anyone advise what springs they use in their MGA with some extra "junk in the trunk'?

-Rick

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: New guy question about MGA front springs
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: October 02, 2010 10:16AM

Rick, there is some information regarding MGB front spring specs on Paul Hunts Bee & Vee website.

[www.mgb-stuff.org.uk]

Click on "Spanners" and then on "Ride Height" to get the following:

[www.mgb-stuff.org.uk]

Scroll down to a chart that identifies useage, spring rates, etc
I'd say that late model RB springs should work for you, given that late model "B's" were several hundred lbs heavier than earlier CB cars.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: New guy question about MGA front springs
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 02, 2010 10:45AM

Rick, if you aren't in too big of a hurry, wait awhile and see how things come out with the air springs I ordered for my MGB. Competitive cost and variable height adjustment. Supposed to be coming in in about 3 weeks.

JB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.