accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Rebuilt Jaguar IRS in storage 15 years, Need rebuild?
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: March 04, 2008 12:14AM

I have an XKK complete rear suspension that had been rebuilt fifteen years ago. It has been in storage ever since. Any suggestions on what should be done with it before installing it.

Thanks,

Arthur

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Rebuilt Jaguar IRS in storage 15 years, Need rebuild?
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 04, 2008 09:29AM

Since that's long enough for the grease to dry out, most of what you need to do would be directed at that. For the uprights you may be able to remove the plug and just add grease, and if your LCA pivot bearings have fittings of course use a grease gun on them. But the U-joints may be of the permanently lubricated type. You could take a chance on that, or disassemble and re-lubricate them. Since they have good seals it's likely they'll be OK, but I've long considered them the weak link in any driveline. If the axles turn smoothly the axle gears are probably rust free and you can just check the level there.

Jim

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Re: Rebuilt Jaguar IRS in storage 15 years, Need rebuild?
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: March 13, 2008 03:08PM

I was looking in my Jag Manual on how to properly grease the hubs, but did not find clear instructions. Posted on a couple of Jag Forums and found out that just filling the hubs with grease is sufficient. I plan on using MDS grease. The hub chamber is not to be pressure greased, as it will blow through the seals.

I also read that the lower pivot on the hub upright has a grease bleed hole that should perminantly closed off. When this pivot is greased, the grease will not bi-pass the shaft as it will not be able to exit the bleed hole.

Everything seems to be rust free. It has been stored indoors in a climate controlled space.

Arthur

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.