Boston, Massachusetts
(12 posts)

07/29/2010 01:30PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

leaking sump pan
Posted by: apexhunter
Date: October 06, 2010 03:43PM

I have a 4.2 Rover motor in my MGB. The Oil pan/sump is leaking ........ I did not build the motor but it looks like some kind of sealant was used maybe without a gasket? Anyway, I wanted to ask for advice ....... I plan to re-torque the entire pan ....... is this a bad idea? Am I asking for trouble as in more leakage? The leak is not huge but it certainly over time makes a mess of the underside. And finally, What would be the torque setting for these bolts?

Alan Van Reed
Boston
79 MGB with Rover 4.2

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: leaking sump pan
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: October 06, 2010 10:33PM

Hi Allan,
Retorquing the oil pan is a bit of a crap shoot. If the gasket is broken the leak will get worse. If the pan has just loosened off it will improve. I suppose that the leak has to be remedied in any case so my vote is to retorque. The manual recommends 8 lbft. torque. If you end up removing the pan don't use a gasket to reinstall it. Use a good quality RTV gasket maker such as Permatex ultra grey. Take a straight edge to the pan and tap down any high spots with a hammer. Lay down a nice even layer of gasket maker, let it set up and have at her.

Cheers
Fred

apexhunter
Alan Van Reed
Boston, Massachusetts
(12 posts)

07/29/2010 01:30PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Rover 4.2

Re: leaking sump pan
Posted by: apexhunter
Date: October 07, 2010 10:23AM

Dear Fred,

Much Thanks for your response and advice ...... the sealant that I see is grey in color .... so I suspect the right sealant was used ....... I am going to give it a go ....

Happy Motoring !

Alan
Boston

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.