ralph papa

(2 posts)

10/09/2010 09:05PM

Main British Car:

Radiator Grill Model please?
Posted by: rapapa
Date: October 09, 2010 09:24PM

Hello All,

Would anyone be able to tell me what model this grill belongs to. Im located in Australia and picked it up at a garage sale and would like to know if its worth my while selling in the UK or I might just hang it up on the wall.

Thanks
mg.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: Radiator Grill Model please?
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 10, 2010 11:25AM

I've sent out a query for you.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 11, 2010 10:13PM

I've received a couple of responses from pre-War and T-series owners.

Common belief is that it is an aftermarket radiator stone guard for one of the models...nobody was able to come up with a specific model.

I would be lead to believe that is is for a pre-war model due to the shape of the guard itself...does not look like it would cover a T-series radiator sufficiently.

Maybe a comparison of the early cars' grille shapes with this stone guard would narrow the candidates somewhat.

If I get a response from other enthusiasts, I'll let you know.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: October 12, 2010 08:55AM

Interesting piece Ralph. I've been doing some searching through all the old MG images that I can find and can't see anything quite like that in shape. It appears to be similar to the stone guard installed on the K series cars behind the radiator shell and in front of the actual radiator, but that would not have had the MG badge attached as the badge would have been on the shell itself. The notch at the bottom leads me to believe that this was used on one of the supercharged cars and was for drive clearance. None of the other MGs needed that notch as the hand cranks fit well below the radiator. The curve of the upper portion is what throws me, it doesn't match the square shouldered shape of all the pre war MG shells. I suspect that it is really from another type of car and the MG badge was added later. A good photo of the way the badge is affixed would help resolve that question.
34-MG_k3-DV-09-GC_002.jpg

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: October 12, 2010 11:18AM

Quote:
...it doesn't match the square shouldered shape of all the pre war MG shells

That's what threw me - it has the upper shape of some Morgan derivative

rapapa
ralph papa

(2 posts)

10/09/2010 09:05PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rapapa
Date: October 14, 2010 05:14PM

Hi All,

Sorry Ive been away for a few days and havnt been able to log in. Thanks for all the responses. I went back to see the bloke I bought this from after reading the responses and Bill you were correct. It seems his son came across the grill at a swap meet and then put the MG badge on himself later. He wasnt able to shed any light on what car the grill actually belongs to. He offered to refund my money but Ive had a friend that wants to put up in his garage so its an early Christmas present for him.

Thanks for everyones help and I hope I havnt wasted anyones time.

Regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.