engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" and Costello V8s

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Kiwitony
Tony Lowe

(1 posts)

10/17/2010 03:18AM

Main British Car:

Information on 1962/3 Atlantic Series MGB V8 Roadsters ???
Posted by: Kiwitony
Date: October 17, 2010 04:18AM

In the 80's while over in California buying some rust free MBG shells to convert to race cars back here in New Zealand I picked up a very early car (pull handle) with remnants of a Buick V8 still in it. Huge flares,a modified fire wall to get engine further back but other than that factory MGB..

It had some parts of old stickers on it , " Atlantic Series , 1963 .. Monterey "was readable , like scrutineer labels??

The flare's and firewall modification were sound , practical but rather crude..

We recently had " Old Yellow " and a few other US based historic sports cars down in NZ for a rather wonderful Historic meet . At an after race dust flushing function the conversation turned to talk of some MGB's getting fitted with Buick V8's in the early 60's for a Northern Californian series , It may have only run for one or two seasons.

Has anyone any info at all if there were such cars or series ??

We had to drag it out from under an old building in Marina Del Ray that had been an old MG workshop and the car had been there since at least 1969 .
Any info would be great , I have never got round to rebuilding it, Not being able to find out any early history that would indicate the Atlantic Series Buick V8 powered MGB's ever existed I was going to throw a Rover into it and turn it into a modified special .BUT I keep worrying I might have missed something and could be destroying history . If they did exist a period resto would be in order.

tony lowe
tonylowe@ihug.co.nz .

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: Information on 1962/3 Atlantic Series MGB V8 Roadsters ???
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: October 17, 2010 10:08AM

Page Lloyd Faust (Baloonfoot) on the MG Experience forum and ask him. He is the best MGB historian I know.
[www.mgexperience.net]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Information on 1962/3 Atlantic Series MGB V8 Roadsters ???
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 20, 2010 11:43AM

Tony, I've been prodding around about this for a few days. I'll let you know if anything turns up. I hope something does!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.