Burritoboi5
Steve Kriv

(1 posts)

11/02/2010 10:04AM

Main British Car:

MGA opinions on engine requested
Posted by: Burritoboi5
Date: November 02, 2010 12:04PM

Hey all, I have a 60 MGA that is in pretty good shape right now, the result of an older resto most likely 10-15 years ago. So the paint is starting to wrinkle and has chips in a few places, as well as the normal leaks on the 1600. So the plan is to start collecting parts for a V8 swap that will likely be a full frame off build ending with new paint and interior. I'm going into the military in 8 months so I don't want to start tearing the car apart now. My plan is to redo the front suspension which I plan on converting to coilovers and replacing some parts that I will be keeping after the swap too.

Ideally I want a FAST car. My plan for rearend is a narrowed ford 9 inch, but I also can get my hands on a Dana 44 with trac lok for free. First question then is should I hold out for a 9 in or take the 44?

Also, I can get a running freshened up buick 215 for free that has been sitting in my buddies shop for the past few years on a stand. Would it be worth building that motor up for performance? I can get a crate 383 with 405 hp and 440 tq for about 5g which I don't mind paying. How much power is the buick good for?

As far as trans go I am thinking T56. Also planning on linking the rear.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: MGA opinions on engine requested
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 02, 2010 03:32PM

Hi Steve. First I have a question, what do you mean when you say a "fast car"? Do you mean drag race fast or quick on a road course? If the first then the Dana or Ford 9" would be the way to go, if the later then you'll be fine for a small block with a Ford 8" or Chevy 10 bolt and save yourself a bunch of unsprung weight that will help handling.
If you want to go drag racing then I'd opt for the 383 over the Buick, but for handling I'd go with the lighter weight Buick or a newer all aluminum LS engine.
Almost any V8 in a MGA chassis will require a lot of modification to the frame because of the width. There are some nice examples of some good swaps in the photo section.
The front suspension isn't an easy one to modify for coil overs but it can be done of course. Since the crossmember is an integral part of the frame it's not an easy swap for something like the FAST CARS front suspension or even a Mustang II unit. That said, the original design is pretty good for handling and easy to upgrade to MGB kingpins and from there you can easily upgrade to bigger brakes with kits designed for the MGB. The spring size is the same as the MGB so there are at least 6 or so different spring rates and heights to choose from so you should be able to find some that will work fine for your application.
Oh, and thanks for serving our country!

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 02, 2010 03:35PM

Sounds like 5.0L. Ford with a 8" or 8.8" R/E to me. The S-10 trucks have a good R/E and many choices of ratios also. the MGA will be tougher to install in the A the in the B. The power is no problem, TRACTION or LACK of it is the major limiting factor. The 9" Ford and the Dana are much heavier and the extra strength is not required. There is never enough traction to rip the MG dif out until much abuse has been absorbed. The Chev. engine (not LS series)is a a bit heavier than the 5.0L Ford. The end choice is up to you. The BOPR is a good engine, but may not produce the HP & Tq. you seek. My opinion FWIW.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 03, 2010 12:46AM

The Dana 44 is a good choice, with it's 8.4" ring gear it's just the right size for a strong engine and the posi is a plus. Several axles from mail jeeps have been used with good results in MGBs. If you aren't in a big hurry on the front suspension, I expect to have a pair of air springs to test fit to an MGB suspension before the end of the week and this could be a significant upgrade. The stock shocks are very good and infinitely tunable.

JB

jbl
john Lyster

(1 posts)

11/03/2010 03:26PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: jbl
Date: November 03, 2010 04:50PM

I am in the process right now of putting a ls1 into a 1960 mga. It has corvette c4 rear suspension, mustang front end from fat man fabrications and 7 inch minilite wheels.Somewhat stalled at present,still building gas tank for fuel pump. hope to post pictures soon.jbl

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 04, 2010 11:58AM

Steve, the Buick 215 is a lovely little engine. It's not all that difficult or expensive to get 200hp (at the wheels) out of it. Beyond that ballpark the costs start going up quickly. For reference, two of the guys who use this engine in vintage roadracing - specifically in MGB GT V8's, where SVRA rules restrict displacement to ~217 cid (nominally 3.5L) - have told me they're getting a bit over 300hp, but they've spent a lot of money to get there, and their engines would be very poorly suited for street use. One way to get more power from an engine is to increase displacement. In this case, the easiest/cheapest way to start is by using a newer Rover engine block. Rover 4.0 and 4.6 engines have bigger bores - and as a bonus they have cross-bolted mains and bigger valves/ports too. At 4.6L, 300hp is easy. Costs start going up quickly if you want more...

The T56 is physically large and heavy. It weighs at least 50 pounds more than a T5 5-speed. The big advantages of a T56 is that 6th gear would give you a big improvement in fuel economy and also a quieter ride when you're on an open highway. However, on twisty roads you'll never get to 6th and you'll be carrying around an extra 50+ pounds. To me, a T56 behind a Buick/Rover engine would be weird, but a T56 behind a big Chevy engine makes more sense. Like others have suggested, I would opt for a Ford 8" in such a lightweight car. I used a Ford 8.8 in my MGB, and I wish I'd used something lighter for better performance and ride quality. I don't believe sports cars can be "too light".

John, what a pleasure to check-in and see your first post here!!!

Welcome to the BritishV8 forum!

In case anyone doesn't know, John was a key member of the famous Group 44 race team. He now owns and operates a top flight body and paint shop. Corvettes are a particular specialty, but all sorts of cars and jobs are worked on at JBL Specialty Automotive (in Northern Virginia). John's support for the last year has been a huge help in keeping BritishV8's bills payed.

http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/JBL-Specialty-Automotive.gif

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.