CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

10/25/2010 05:17PM

Main British Car:

Modify existing headers for 302?
Posted by: CJ Steak
Date: November 03, 2010 05:01PM

I'm a pretty decent fabricator/welder and think I can modify a pair of existing block hugger headers, or long tubes to work in my car.

Before I go re-creating the wheel though... has anyone out there in V8 land modified a cheap off the shelf pair of headers? Whether it be through the fender well or block hugger? I'm thinking I can make a pretty close copy of the Fast Cars block hugger for myself.

I sent an email to them asking for prices, but am wanting to investigate other avenues if they're out of my price range. This is by no means a knock against Fast Cars headers, they're works of art, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend work of art money on them. :) Especially when I've done everything else on a budget and have it coming out really nice.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Re: Modify existing headers for 302?
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: November 03, 2010 06:45PM

Have looked at many, many options including: Sunbeam Tiger headers - driver's side fit, passenger side interfered w/engine mount, Mustang shorty headers (turned backwards so they exhaust to the front similar to several Cobra kit styles) - didn't have enough room at the frame rails to clear without a radically restrictive exhaust bend, Heddman "block huggers" (said be the tightest off-the-shelf available) - no room at the frame rail to squeeze in a collector, stock early Mustang cast headers (non HiPo) turned backwards (left one goes on right, right on left) - this works with plenty of room for accessories and to clear frame rails w/no restrictive bends (but it looks weird).

At the end of the day, I think that either Pete Mantell's set or Ted's headers at Fast Cars (hugger or fender well style) are worth the money. They fit...the first time. Still, it was fun experimenting with different configurations and, at the end of the day, I broke even after selling off the various headers I purchased. I think that a set of Ted's are in my future. And, as Thomas Edison said, "I've learned 100 ways it doesn't work".

Another option is to pick up a u-build-it header kit and fabricate a set on your own. I've never done it, but am told by those who have that it's not all that hard to do. Not a welder myself so I can't say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 06:46PM by DC Townsend.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: November 03, 2010 10:02PM

I can provide a positive testimonial for Fast Cars thru the fender headers - excellent fit and finish....and they will allow full wheel cut when using wide rims/tires.
I believe that Pete Mantell uses the Fast Cars headers as part of his 302 conversion kit.

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: November 05, 2010 11:22AM

Hate to give away my sources but think there are enough Chevy headers hanging around my shop!

There are a lot of single headers on ebay. Left over from damaged cars or display units or possibly factory defects. I've bought several name brands, either left or rights and use them for parts to make whatever is needed. The average price has been about 20 bucks ( plus shipping ).

Not sure if this holds true for Fords but if you start out with some cheap block huggers for the flanges it really doesn't matter what the tube was intended for.

Bill

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 05, 2010 06:01PM

The block huggers Ted offers look pretty easy to replicate. One of the keys appears to be oval pipe where they pass the frame rails; the rest actually looks surprisingly simple.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: November 08, 2010 05:26PM

These are the headers I built for my conversion using speedway motors block huggers. I think the headers are about $130, not sure anymore. I bought four U bends that were about $50 total. The modification was to basically extend the collector out to where an rv8 style header fits, and try to bunch the pipes to minimize the hole in the inner fender. My headers are okay. Not quite as pretty as I would've liked, and the holes in the inner fenders ended up bigger than I wanted. I spent a TON of time with the angle grinder and die grinder smoothing welds. I was picking metal slivers out of my body for weeks. Add it all up, next time I would order Pete's.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/DSC_0107.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/DSC_0109.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/DSC_0112.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/DSC_0113.jpg

CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 09, 2010 03:12PM

Thanks for the info and advice everyone.

Ryan, I was going to do the headers similar to what you were thinking, but figured I didn't have the skill to make them as tidy as the Fast Cars units.

What I was thinking of doing was replicating the Fast Cars shorty block hugger, but instead of hugging the block, I was going to point the collector right at the side of the inner fender wheel. The collector flange would be on the inside of the engine compartment, and only the "down pipe" would poke through the fender well, creating a very small hole.

What do you guys think of that idea? I think I can pull it off, and a buddy of mine dropped off a set of Hedman block huggers he said I could cut up.

Another benefit of having the collector inside the engine compartment, is ease of changing the gasket, and also more room behind the front tires for larger wheels/tires.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 09, 2010 04:33PM

Seems like it'd work Chris, but might look a bit odd.

CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 09, 2010 04:56PM

That's one of my concerns too Rob. The good thing is if it looks a bit too goofy having the collector on the inside of the engine compartment, all it would take is a longer tube and mounting the collector flange in the wheel well.

I'm not sure if I'd have the exhaust point 90 degrees straight into the fender either... this is just one of those things that I'll have to play with and adjust when I'm at that point. I certainly don't want it to look completely stupid. Somewhat stupid is acceptable though. hahaha...

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: November 09, 2010 05:03PM

Separate primaries into a collector in the engine bay is going to be hard just because you're really trying to jam everything into a tight space. On the other hand, you could just do a log header that would work well and be pretty easy to fab. A log header would actually fit in pretty well with the vibe you're going for, the vintage 302 look.

CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 09, 2010 07:40PM

That's what I was thinking too Ryan. I'll figure somethin' out. :) Always do.

Can someone shoot me a PM with what you think the price is for the Fast Cars hugger and fender exit headers are? I emailed them and called twice, no response. I just need to know if I can really afford them and should just order them, or if I can't and need to concentrate more on making my own.

I've heard hints of 1500ish for the fender exits but can't confirm it. I haven't heard anything on the huggers.

Thanks

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: November 10, 2010 10:44AM

Purchased my thru-the-fender mild steel headers from Ted 1-1/2 years ago - price was $600. Having them ceramic coated was another $240 (done locally). I believe that his SS block huggers were $1K.

CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 10, 2010 10:54AM

Graham... now that's a lot better than I thought it would be. I was thinking almost triple that number.

Funny the block huggers would be more expensive though.

Now if I can get someone from that company to email or call me back... hmmm.... :)

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 10, 2010 11:34AM

Chris,

Fast Cars is a true Mom & Pop company. When Ted & Judy are away, there's no one to respond to e- mails or phone calls. Ted will get back to you soon, I'm certain. Ted & Judy are good people to deal with.

CJ Steak
Chris Salisbury

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 10, 2010 07:14PM

Hey Dan,

Ted got back to me and it looks like I'll be another satisfied customer very soon. Just waiting for another deal to come through and I'll be excited to place my order.

I'm glad they're a smaller company. I always feel better about my money going to "real" people, instead of a huge company with no real face. That's one of the many reasons I like doing business with Gordon from the B Hive as opposed to the other large company options I have.

-Chris

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: November 28, 2010 08:49PM

These headers are on a 4.3 Spit but same process as on my MG's. These are pieces from single SBC headers bought on Ebay for next to nothing. On this one the hardest part was cutting down the collector to fit 3 tubes instead of the original 4.
IMG_2945 Header L.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.