Madoc, Ontario
(24 posts)

10/05/2010 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1962 MGA Coupe Buick 4.1 V-6

MGA steering column
Posted by: undertowrocks
Date: November 11, 2010 09:15AM

Any suggestions on what steering column I should use in my conversion. I see lots of hot rods using tilt columns, but don't know how hard they are to install. With my coupe, I can mount my seats up a bit higher, and a tilt steering would really work well for me.
Dave

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: MGA steering column
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 11, 2010 01:38PM

If you intend to retain the stock dash you'll have to use a column that is pretty small in diameter to clear the notch in the dash. Flaming River makes one that has a shaft diameter of only 1 3/4" which should fit pretty good. [www.speedwaymotors.com]
They are pretty easy to install, especially in an MGA where the steering column mounts on two metal loop type brackets and those would be easy to enlarge. I'm using a modified early MGB column which fits the MGA mounts perfectly and will allow me to place the directional signal switch on the column. It did need to be modified to fit the length though and some wouldn't want to run a cut and welded shaft. I don't mind and trust my work in that area.

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: November 12, 2010 11:31AM

David,

We used a steering column from a Pontiac Fiero and it has worked well in my MGA custom. I just checked ebay and there is one available. Here is a photo of the completed install with a Grant Stainless Banjo steering wheel.

Hope this helps your project!

Jeb

[cgi.ebay.com] (ebay link)

cdDashbuildbook.jpg

undertowrocks
David Haywood
Madoc, Ontario
(24 posts)

10/05/2010 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1962 MGA Coupe Buick 4.1 V-6

Posted by: undertowrocks
Date: November 12, 2010 12:16PM

Fiero column looks like the one to use. EBAY seller doesnt ship to Canada, but I know a junk yard where they have several Fieros to choose from. I've got all the metal repaired on my Coupe, now the fun begins. Bondo to smooth it all out!!!!!! I used a product called Metal Lab to fill the area where the outer wings attach to the inner body. Going for the Cobra solid body look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.