(5 posts)

10/23/2007 04:05PM

Main British Car:
1956 MG Magnette (ZA) saloon Rover/MG V8 3500cc

authors avatar
Modified MG Saloons
Posted by: Socram
Date: October 25, 2007 03:56AM

Now Curtis has assured me that saloons are OK, you may like to keep up with progress on my Magnette V8 conversion and add any other MG saloons to the mix. I can't be the only one opting for a saloon!

Steady rather than spectacular progress as I am limited to what I can do myself, but currently the rebuilt Rover V8 is sitting in the car, but I have only just purchased a new clutch pressure plate and clutch plate. I had a Range Rover flywheel machined down from about 30lbs to 23lbs and this is to connect to the Toyota Supra 5 speed gearbox with a locally cast bell housing. As the car is to be used to tow my Marcos Volvo 3 litre as well as to do some track work, it is not a fire breathing monster.

Once that is installed and some form of clutch actuating mechanism sourced, all that remains for the transmission is the shortened propshaft to connect to the already installed rear end. That is standard MGB rear axle, with Panhard rod and Koni shocks.

At the front, a new radiator is part built so then it is to the water works, oil plumbing system and all the wiring and dashboard to finish. Once basic wiring is in place and the exhaust secondaries are completed, should be able to get it fired up.

Check out the website for progress [www.tops.co.nz]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Modified MG Saloons
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 25, 2007 04:31AM

Ray, we've got to get a page about your car into our photo gallery!

Nice BIG (600 x 450) photos plus our patented "How It Was Done" templatized format providing an "executive summary"... It'll be a great complement to your narrative in 18+ parts! (Plus, it might encourage the next guy to send in photos of HIS sporting-saloon engine swap. I bet there must be several more out there, no?) I'm very enthusiastic about this website getting a more international flavor... You know, variety IS the spice of life.

I'm curious about your "locally cast" bellhousing. (Someone on the phone suggested earlier tonight that I should get into the bellhousing importation business. Uhhhhh... no!) But I'm intrigued. You're saying there's a Kiwi Rover-to-Toyota bellhousing in addition to the Aussie one we already knew about? Are the two bellhousing designs similar? Are people putting Toyota trannies in Range Rovers?

It's 2:30 am in Colorado. My bourbon is calling!

p.s. I'm very impressed by your nifty animated avatar. Good show!

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Re: Modified MG Saloons
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: October 25, 2007 12:04PM

Always been a fan of the Marcos. Wish more had been shipped to the States. Every once in a while (one per decade) one will find its way into Hemmings Motor News. Saw in an article a long time ago where the writer had described the Marco's rear end as was of the most beautiful of any car. IMHO, it would have to come in second behind (no pun intended) Sophia Loren or Raquel Welsh (or any of the James Bond girls too) in their prime!

Regards, Tony

Socram
Ray Green
Auckland, New Zealand
(5 posts)

10/23/2007 04:05PM

Main British Car:
1956 MG Magnette (ZA) saloon Rover/MG V8 3500cc

authors avatar
Bell housings
Posted by: Socram
Date: October 25, 2007 05:23PM

I can't remember the name of the company casting the bell housings but definitely local (Waihi - a small town on the east coast of NZ). I bought mine through a local manufacturer of a Lotus 7 clone (Fraser).

For those into real V8's, NZ has a thriving classic and historic motorsport scene with a strong contingent of Formula 5000 single seaters, Muscle cars, and Sports GTs plus the basically road going classic scene. The two series I have run for 12 years, have 100 competitors - several running TR7's with V8s plus MGV8s, but engine transplants such as the Magnette are not currently catered for, being outside the current classic rules.

Guess what? With a new race circuit currently under construction just south of Auckland, with 80 apartment units (many for short term rental just like a motel), the scene will change end 2008, and I have already booked 4 meetings a year, and there WILL be transplanted cars running! (We have purchased a top floor trackside unit, with an uninterrupted view of the circuit...) The circuit is Hampton Downs.

For anyone from the northern hemisphere looking for a trip to NZ in late January/February, there is some great racing. Over 250 cars/drivers at most of them and the weather is usually good.

Race entry fees are surprisingly affordable too, with several overseas drivers bringing their cars annually, to do the Southern Festival, down in the South Island. Jan 2008 and the F5000's are expecting several cars from the USA and the UK, plus the Formula Juniors are celebrating 50 years so they are coming too, but starting in the North Island.

Back to the MG...

Front suspension is all purpose built, but using Cortina front hubs and a BMW power steering rack.

207_030502.JPG

Original door panels have been dumped and door pockets incorporated.

207_061806.JPG

Roll cage has been designed to conform to local requirements, but designed in such a way that one of the rear seats will still be usable. Pic shows the car just before I brought it home from the workshop to work on the interior, doors and and fibreglass panels and the wiring.

207_032911.JPG

A whole new dashboard has been constructed to improve the ergonomics, incorporate a rev counter, switches for fuel pumps etc and also incorporate a CD system - much to the horror of the original mechanic! Dash is being veneered in burr walnut. Expensive! The radio head unit is hidden behind a hinged panel - not seen here, but a full article and further pics WILL be submitted later Curtis!

207_041806.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.