Reidville, SC
(15 posts)

04/21/2010 10:01PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.9 V8

Timing case covers
Posted by: FLIPSMGV8
Date: December 10, 2010 11:49AM

I made a post about a month ago and Jim Stuart & Jim Blackwood gave me some feedback & thanks to both for the help.

It was noted that a 215 V8 timing case cover would work on my 3.9 Rover, with that said it was also noted that some Buick V6 timing cases may work as well. I was just on ebay and a company has new timing case that will fit the following, Buick 196V6, 225V6,231V6,252V6 & a 350V8 & it comes with a Hi out put oil pump. My question is was one of these V6's that you were talking about.

Thanks to all for the help.

jimbb88
Jim Stuart
Maryland, USA
(47 posts)

10/23/2007 07:43PM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V8 conversion Rover 4.0 fuel injected

Re: Timing case covers
Posted by: jimbb88
Date: December 11, 2010 08:57AM

The 231 V6 is the one I am familiar with. That cover will also frt a Buick 300 V8.

I was not aware it would fit a 350 V8, also cannot speak for the Buick 340. but Jim Blackwood should know.

There has been an aftermarket "high performance" timing cover specifically for V6 Buicks on the market for years. It is a nice product and fits the 215 and all Buick based Rover V8's. It was made in Maryland, and years ago, I met the manufacturer- nice guy. I have not seen the E-bay item, but it sounds like it will work without any problems except establishing the timing marks.

FLIPSMGV8
Phillip Quinn
Reidville, SC
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.9 V8

Date: December 11, 2010 11:44AM

Thanks Jim, As you can tell by the questions I ask, I'm new at this type of build, maybe Jim Blackwood well see this and add to the information. The ebay# is 290508025996 and it looks like it would work but I wanted to ask you guys first. Thanks again for the help.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 11, 2010 12:40PM

Phillip, the high volume oil pump is a band-aid. Time and experience has shown it to not be a particularly good one either. Provided the correct oil system mods are done the stock gears are quite adequate for high performance work. The problem with the longer gears is that they add stress to the distributor drive gears and greatly increase the probability of failure, meaning metal in the oil and all that entails. I'd avoid that particular feature.

Now as to what timing covers work, there is an astounding variety and you can pick up a good usable cover for almost nothing. Basically all V6 and small block Buick engines, plus all Rover V8 engines. But there are a few items to take note of. First is the timing indicator tab. Some are on the left, some are on the right. You can still use the wrong one but have to mark the damper accordingly. Next, with the later Rover covers you have distributor and oil pump upgrades to consider, basically crank trigger and the gerotor pump, changes you might not be willing to make. All can be easily upgraded to the V6 type rubber lip seal (a stainless sleeve is recommended for the damper).

With any cover you should do the recommended oiling mods, including the steel wear (booster) plate, which is available from TA. Run a search on the 340 thread to get an idea of what works. You are basically porting the cover and the pump to improve flow and pressure. If you can easily remove the pan you should enlarge the oil suction galley and the pickup tube to 5/8" while you are at it.

JB

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 11, 2010 01:29PM

I would add that a Rover cover will require the much more expensive Rover water pump.

FLIPSMGV8
Phillip Quinn
Reidville, SC
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.9 V8

Date: December 11, 2010 11:17PM

Jim, Jim & Carl, Thank you all for the information. I have 2 timing case covers in my shop one that is on my Rover engine & a Buick 215 case that I picked up on ebay.

It looks like that most of the folks on the V8 page that are running a 3.9 Rover are also running a Buick type case are am I looking at it wrong? I see a pipe coming off the back side of the timing case going to the intake. I have not even made my mind up at this point if I want to go with the EFI that came with the engine are with a carb, I have a intake for a carb already. Jim Blackwood it sounds like I need to do a rehab on the oil pump, galley way and tube for sure. I guess you can tell I'm new at this.

I have not started to do any work at all on the engine because I have been trying to pick most of the parts that I think I may need along the way. I am driving my MGB a few days a week to work. I was in hopes that I would have most of the parts by now but I have worked out of town more than I had planned & my rat hole money is gone. I have V8 T5 trans,1963 Buick flywheel that I need to get turned down, a Buick bell house, and a few gaskets (intake,oil pan, rockers) I guess I will start looking for a clutch set & motor mounts next. The engine is just setting in the shop on the stand at this point.

Oh, Jim Blackwood what is the 340 thread? Sorry, but I don't understand what that is.

Thanks again to all.

Carl, work bring me up your way from time to time, just a little west of you Rogersville, TN & I like that part of the country.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: December 12, 2010 02:09AM

Here is the 340 thread , or build....

[forum.britishv8.org]

FLIPSMGV8
Phillip Quinn
Reidville, SC
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.9 V8

Date: December 12, 2010 09:15AM

Thanks Calvin, that little blue car of yours should be a blast to drive, & I love that color, very nice job!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.