(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
Where and how to mount the fuel pump?
Posted by: smelfi
Date: December 13, 2010 09:26AM

I know there have been numerous discussions on this but in case someone has some new information or thoughts............

77 MGB, 302, Edelbrock 4 bbl, 8.8 with a CCE 4 link, stock gas tank centered.
I currently plan to retain the stock fuel line that runs from the rear of the car to the engine bay.
I'm going to use a Holley "Red” fuel pump and would like to know where a good place to mount it is.
How did you mount it? For instance did you use some sort of vibration isolators?
What fuel filter do you recommend and where is it mounted?
Any other advice or input on the subject would be appreciated.

Steve

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Where and how to mount the fuel pump?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 13, 2010 12:24PM

Electric fuel pumps seem to push better than they pull, so the conventional wisdom is to mount them close to the fuel tank and low and also to install filters downstream from the pump instead of upstream. Most fuel pumps are insensitive to debris, and therefore don't need a pre-filtered supply. However, if your pump comes with a built-in screen or filter on its input side, I'd take that as a suggestion that you should probably install your fuel filter upstream of the fuel pump.

I like to have the whole fuel system well segregated from the exhaust system because engines like cool fuel. Besides that, if a fuel connection leaks or gets pulled loose (in a collision), it should be away from ignition sources. For that reason, I prefer to see fuel filters outside of the engine compartment and away from wire harnesses. (Those old-fashioned see-thru glass filters mounted in engine compartments have caused a lot of fires.) As for what filter to use, I just use one of the inexpensive steel one-piece cannisters from NAPA or Carquest and I change it as a routine maintenance item.

For noise isolation, mounts like these may help a little: [www.pegasusautoracing.com]

mgbazza
Barrie Egerton
Sydney Australia
(24 posts)

01/20/2009 07:40AM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB GT Rover 3.5

Posted by: mgbazza
Date: December 14, 2010 08:16PM

The red Holley pump has to be mounted vertically & from memory ,I think they recommend a filter in both inlet & outlet sides. I used those small bobbin type exhaust rubber mounts for insulation, but the pump is still very noisy. Location is in a similar place to where the SU pump was. Barrie E

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: December 14, 2010 08:30PM

Here's one way: [www.britishv8.org]

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: December 14, 2010 10:22PM

I just want to second Barrie,
< But the pump is still very noisy > Sounds like a powersaw in your trunk.
And cheer on Dan for including inertia switches in his wiring diagrams.
Cheers
Fred

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 16, 2010 09:45AM

And a word of caution based on experience - articulate the rear axle to ensure that the axle/4-link doesn't contact the fuel pump. You will have to disconnect the shock/coilovers to articulate but you'd be surprised what gets in the way!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.