eagleeye1911
Will Kerr

(2 posts)

01/13/2011 12:36PM

Main British Car:

Midget fenders
Posted by: eagleeye1911
Date: January 13, 2011 01:04PM

I'm looking to change the rusted out body of my 77 Midget to the earlier 72 style so I can get rid of the ugly rubber bumpers and make everything match. I was wondering if it would fit the same or if I'll need to get different mounts?

Thanks, Will

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Midget fenders
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 13, 2011 01:43PM

Will, the early fenders will bolt on the later RB body tub. There are some differences in the postion of the turn signals between the MKII and MKIII cars, the MKII lamps were a bit higher on the fender to clear the wider bumpers on those cars, with the narrow bumpers on the MKIIIs the lamps were dropped down about an inch. The later RB front fenders had the openings for the wheels actually lowered down a bit as well to compensate for the higher ride height. If you lower your car to the Chrome bumper height you'll get better tire clearance in the front with the early fenders.
As for the tub itself, there are differences there as well. The later RB cars used the Triumph derived 1500cc engine and trans so the tunnel and mounts are different. Using the 1500 in an early chassis will require some mods to the trans tunnel and mounts. The body is one piece with the chassis, no body mounts as such exist. The mounts for the various suspension components are the same unless it's a very early MK1 Midet body, but the 72 should take those components fine.
Personally if I had a good 72 RWA body I'd either use a 1275cc engine in the car as it originally came with or swap for something with more power and better reliability than the 1500cc engine. It's just not worth the effort to change the tunnel for that trans and motor IMHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.