(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Are you an MG history buff?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 01, 2008 01:44PM

Do any of you guys have a personal archive of MGB GT V8 press clippings? Can I trouble you to check your files and see if you can help me ID an article so that I can track down permission to re-publish it? The newspaper article in question is titled "Still there, the old M.G. magic". It was included in a collection Ken Smith loaned me from the initial release of the MGB GT V8 model (circa ~October 15, 1973).

I've been unable to match it up to a specific newspaper, author, or publication date. (It might be from a Sunday edition, instead of from the daily.) The article is relatively long, at 47 paragraphs spanning five columns. (If it were five or six boring paragraphs I wouldn't trouble you.) The title is in a very plain, narrow sans-serif typeface (like "Arial Narrow") and the body is in a plain, small serif typeface (like "Times Roman").

One photo of an MGB GT V8 was included, and the registration plate on that car is "NOJ 924M"... but curiously it seems that the number plate was air-brushed in this photo because the exact same car/photo seems to appear in two other newspapers albeit wearing registration plate "YWL 921L".

This collection of press clippings already includes UK/London daily newspaper articles attributed to (1) Sue Baker of The Evening News, (2) Patrick Mennem of The Daily Mirror, (3) David Benson of The Daily Express, (4) Michael Kemp of The Daily Mail, and (5) Maxwell Boyd of The Times. I have a vague suspicion that this article may be from "The Guardian"...

For additional interesting reading about the MGB GT V8 model, and the heritage of the Rover aluminum V8 engine, check out the winter edition of "British V8". You can read it for free here: [www.britishv8.org]

Kerbut
Nigel Ricardo
, Weymouth, Dorset ,South of England
(22 posts)

12/26/2007 06:14AM

Main British Car:
1931 Austin 7 ,1973 MGB Roadster , 1996 MG RV8 (1 )747 cc, (2) 1800 cc (3) 3900cc

Re: Are you an MG history buff?
Posted by: Kerbut
Date: April 21, 2008 04:07PM

Curtis
Have you tried going onto the DVLA website ,(driver and vehicle licencing authority ) ,if you type in the relevant registration number it will tell you if the vehicle exists ,if it comes up SORN its in someones garage and not on the road ( Statutory off road notice )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.