(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Headlights
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: July 11, 2011 04:04PM

When we had our hot rod shop, one of my jobs was to design and build all the electrical systems and harnesses, but as you might guess, we catered to our customers and always used a standard headlight system. Therefor we never used one, but I’m thinking of installing a modern type automatic headlight control system in my GT, with an auto on/off light sensor. Has anyone done this or know of a supplier for such a kit? A kit would be so much easier than designing one myself and running all over town looking for components? I know this isn’t exactly traditional but if I was a traditional guy my LBC wouldn’t have a V8 with a T5.

I found one from All Ride in the UK but I've had some bad expierences ordering from the UK and would rather get it locally or US if possible.

Thanks for any info,
Paul

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 04:29PM by pspeaks.

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

10/31/2008 01:45AM

Main British Car:
For the purpose of this forum, 1972 MGB GT 5.7l Chevrolet LS1

authors avatar
Re: Headlights
Posted by: Keith
Date: July 11, 2011 05:55PM

Seems to me it should be pretty straightforward. I'd pull one out of a car that had one from the factory - I know that a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 2002 BMW M5 and a 2010 Dodge 2500 all have them, although it's possible that even more do.

Heck, I'm pretty sure it was an option on the 1966 Cadillac called "Twilight Sentinel". If that's the case, then I'll check my shop manual and see if there's a wiring diagram. It shouldn't be complicated at all, just an ambient light sensor that closes a relay.

You got me interested :) Here's what I dug up on Amazon: [www.amazon.com]. For $30, I'd do this instead of heading for the junkyard!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 05:55PM by Keith.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: July 11, 2011 08:22PM

Try the Lucas one ... the headlights go out automatically when it gets dark, Maybe you could reverse wire it!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: July 11, 2011 09:45PM

Lucas has always been ahead of their time.
Self dimming lights, intermittent wipers, soft touch rev limiter (random misfire), rear fog lights (brake stuck on) and one of the best theft deterrent systems on the market (won't start).
And of course not to be left out is their contribution to safety.
The early warning smoke system, to aid the driver in detecting the imminent failure of a critical part.
If the failure is severe enough to present a driving hazard, The smoke will automatically overcome the operator to prevent further operation of the vehicle.
As a last resort FIRE will break out (Final Indication of Real Emergency) to stop the vehicle.
So really their just thinking of us!

That rig from Amazon looks like it would do the trick. Or like Keith said pull one from a wrecked vehicle. You don't want to go so new that a body computer gets involved. Probably something mid 90's. 95 Jeep grand cherokee comes to mind. The controller is behind the glovebox and the sensor mounts on the dash. Pretty easy to wire into a conventional light system. And factory reliability to boot.

Cheers
Fred

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 11, 2011 11:47PM

My Mini has a clever feature - as soon as it starts raining hard enough for the wipers to struggle, the engine quits because the distributor is soaked. Very safe.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 12, 2011 11:25AM

You know, my first two MG’s were equipped like that, and the GT was until I started the conversion; no idea how it will turn out but this time I won’t be able to blame the “Prince of Darkness.” Thanks for the info, I think I’ll try your ideas.

Keith, many years ago I was flying back from Hawaii in a P-3 and had to shut down an engine. It wasn’t very life threatening but required landing somewhere so we decided to make an emergency landing at Grand Junction. On approach the controller asked our fuel state and souls on board and when the co-pilot told them we had 22K pounds of fuel and 23 souls the controller exclaimed “WHAT, I guess you want us to run the gear out then!”. We said “if you wouldn’t mind” and this pickup pulled up to the edge of the runway with 3 fire bottles in the back. The people there were just great and I really enjoyed myself: great place.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 12, 2011 08:07PM

I'd be concerned about a module that costs $30. I'd at least want to review the diagram to test it to see what happens in various failure scenarios. Wouldn't want to lose both headlights on a dark twisty road one night... oh, wait -- I forgot, you live in Dallas; there are no twisty roads ;).

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 12, 2011 10:26PM

So that would be... a Lucas emulator I guess?

JB

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: July 12, 2011 11:31PM

Probably just a cheap Chinese knock off Jim.
You know the type, all the looks but none of the quality of the original.
No burnt bakelite only cheap plastic.
No myriad of loose springs, levers and unavailable replaceable parts.
No vestiges of hope, no faint glimmer of life to lead you on.
Just complete failure right out of the box.
Fred

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 13, 2011 02:53AM

I tried to find a diagram of the kit to check it out but had no luck. That does sound like a pretty low price but worth looking into. If we had a twisty road here in Dallas it would be full of Corvettes and I would hate for my LBC to show them up :-)

I found something today. I have a Grant wood steering wheel with a Grant GT horn button and they offer a button with the old Ford V8 logo. Kind of expensive but I don't think I'm going to be able to help myself.

Paul
Grant 1.JPG
Grant 2.JPG
5859.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 13, 2011 01:31PM

Paul, if you don't want to go the OEM/salvage yard route check some magazines like Rod & Custom or Street Classics. Dakota Digital makes a unit (PAC-1300A) & I think a few others do too. At least with them you can call and ask about how to wire so you'd only lose one light if something failed.

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 14, 2011 12:58AM

I can't believe a bunch of MG owners are complaining about possible wiring problems because something's not expensive enough :)

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 14, 2011 11:56AM

Doesn't sound right, does it Keith? But I think we've steadily but slowly been infiltrated by those guys who made Cobras and Tigers so danged expensive. They are learning that the MGB is an altogether more civilized car, more fun, and cheaper to boot. So far the only thing that's saved it from a similar fate is that everybody's brother has one stuck out in the shed or the barn. Well, I picked up a spare just for cheap insurance. Guess what? It's out in the shed!

JB

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 14, 2011 02:45PM

As soon as the secret gets out that we like them they'll get expensive soon enough. I've read the reviews of the $30 kit, available from a number of suppliers. It’s not much of a gamble, so I think I'll try one as soon as I can find a co-signer :-) I’ll post a review here once I have some info, but unfortunately we’re still dealing with 102-104 degree temps here in Dallas so I’ve put the “B” on hold as the garage doesn’t have AC.

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 15, 2011 01:12PM

I might give one a try myself, as it's really easy to get used to automatic lights. They're really not that complex, so I don't know why they need to be expensive. It would also be pretty easy to wire them up so you could run either off the automatic setup or directly off a switch in case you think your Lucas light switch is more reliable :)

I'm about at the point to sell off my "spare" MG. Although my wife thinks I should fill the empty engine bay with a Miata mill, so I'll have something to drive. After all, the V8 car is hers. Uhoh.

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Posted by: J Man
Date: July 15, 2011 05:40PM

GM started using the auto headlight feature back in '98 if I remember right, that was in the S10. There should be plenty of them around to steal parts out of.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 25, 2011 09:05AM

I placed the order yesterday and it’s coming from Kentucky USPS which means I should get it in a month or so. I don’t know how legal it would be for me to scan and post the wiring diagram here but I’ll check into it; it's not like I'm trying to manufacture and sell them. Next maybe I’ll try electric windows and put my cruise control back in, and then…Oh Well! I’ll think of something!

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 30, 2011 12:24AM

Well guys, I received the kit. Amazon said three to five days, it was three and the kit and shipping was $35.48. For the money, the quality is much better than I expected and it has computer type plugs where connections are made to the box and the provided relays are pretty good quality as well. From reading reviews one of the only complaints was that with the controller turned on high beams couldn’t be selected. Admittedly I haven’t powered it up yet, but I’ve integrated it into my wiring schematic and believe the original MGB steering column wiring, design not necessarily the original wires, I mean we have to be realistic here, provide a way to remedy that detail. The only other negative to note in my opinion is the instructions are confusing, at least for me, and while I don’t consider myself an expert, I’m no beginner either. I would recommend getting a very good magnifying glass as the print is very-very small and reading the instructions more than once or twice and noting positive and/or negative on the controller input wires; if you don’t get this part right you’ll smoke check the controller. This is particularly true for the wipers on/lights on option. After letting my brain absorb the stuff it eventually became clear. I don’t know if anyone else is interested in this kit but I said I’d report and there you have it, no matter where you go, there you are. At least I’m glad I bought it, so far anyway.

Paul

Rolly77MGB
Richard Rollison
Winnemucca, NV
(8 posts)

03/31/2011 07:07PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster will be Ford 5.0 w/ AOD automatic

Posted by: Rolly77MGB
Date: August 13, 2011 07:06PM

Paul,

Thanks for the follow up. Based on your input I bought the kit and agree with you that the kit is of quality build. And, yes, the instructions are hard to read. I don't have to worry about that for a while since I probably won't be installing it until next year...

Regards,

Rolly

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 14, 2011 12:11AM

Great Richard, if it doesn't work out we can blame each other :-) I have mine wired in, but the car is only about half way done, maybe a little more, and hasn't been powered up yet. So far I think I'm gonna like it. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my home-made electrical panel with the lights control module on it. I might go ahead and finish the wiring, throw a battery in it and check it out, but that will take a few days. I'll keep you posted.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 12:33AM by pspeaks.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.