(150 posts)

10/23/2007 06:46AM

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Opinions on a new top for my B
Posted by: MGB SS
Date: April 14, 2008 09:12PM

I will go first: Yes Joe you need a new Top!! :)

Sorry couldn't resist, any way I need a new top and was wondering what other have bought and what they thought of them. Is the cloth top worth the extra Money it seems they would hold up better and Fold up better.

I see cheap ones ($200.00 ) are they any good, my car is a 71 B

Thanks in advance

Joe

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Opinions on a new top for my B
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 14, 2008 10:07PM

Joe,

Good luck finding a good fit. I saw a lot of lousy fitting tops at MG 2006.

My Dad has had a fit with Moss. Robbins, etc. on his '63. He has a local owner doing a custom cloth top in his spare time (2+months).

I really like cloth tops. They look great. Call Steve Carrick. His cloth top on Barney looks great. Done by a local (or fitted, not sure) recommended by Steve & Ted.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: April 15, 2008 08:02AM

Joe, they cost a few bucks more but the guys I know that have tops with zip out rear windows rave about them. Get in touch with Jeff Zorn at Little British Car Co. He should be able to set you up with a top of quality material for a reasonable price. [www.lbcarco.com]

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2008 08:38AM

My post on another forum relating to a Bimini top on Ebay vs the zip-out rear window:

"I've had a zip-down (it doesn't zip out) top for 20 years. I rarely use that feature. If it ain't below 40 degrees or raining (I mean raining not sprinkling), then it's top down for me. A pair of shades, a ball cap, some sunscreen, & hit the road. I've driven to most V8 Meets (most of them 8-11 hrs one way) top down all the way both ways. I'm not cruising down the road looking like a Miata owner with the top up & the AC on!"

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2008 09:07AM

The Bimini top on Ebay:

[cgi.ebay.com]

I've thought of doing something very similar attached to my rollbar.

Doc Hopalongfoot
Marc Weitzman
Huntingto Woods, MI
(58 posts)

01/22/2008 11:45PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster ford 302

Posted by: Doc Hopalongfoot
Date: April 15, 2008 10:44AM

Hey Joe,
What's wrong with some Gorilla duct tape and a cutout in the window so you can see?
Marc

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

10/23/2007 06:46AM

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Posted by: MGB SS
Date: April 15, 2008 08:02PM

Marc
That was last years look!

Carl
That Bimini top is a good idea, I could make one out of my old top. Thanks for the correction on the zipper window I thought they came all the way out, then you could just replace the window and that would make to much sence:)

Bill
I will give them a look

Curtis had a good point about using the older take apart frame for having more clearance for roll bars, I assume that would be a simple conversion, I may look into a frame before I order a new top, any thoughts?

Joe

Doc Hopalongfoot
Marc Weitzman
Huntingto Woods, MI
(58 posts)

01/22/2008 11:45PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster ford 302

Posted by: Doc Hopalongfoot
Date: April 17, 2008 09:37PM

Joe,
I just got a new top off ebay for 180 plus shipping. Zipper rear window and packed in a new box. Its vinyl but
it should work. Anyone know where there are good instructions for installing one of these?
Marc

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 18, 2008 02:33PM

It's been years since i've done one Marc, but i don't recall it being too difficult. Mine had all the snaps already installed. If I recall I had to swap the rear flat bar from my original top to the new one. Just slide it out of the puch on the old & into the pouch in the new. I attached the bar, back snaps, & side clip like normal when you put the top up & wrapped/glued the material that holds it to the center bar on the top (later black folding top) to that bar. Then streatched it over the front bar -- snug, but not overly tight. Enough to get the wrinkles out & make it look good. I used contact cement if I recall, but there may be better glues now. When you get your top, you'll see that it'll wrap over the rail in the front & there'll be some tabs of material that wrap around the ends of that front rail. Refer to your existing top as the tabs may not be cut on the new one, you might have to cut them yourself to keep from getting too much material bunched up in the corners. Those tabs will go under the snaps or aluminum channel that holds the seal -- should be obvious when you remove your old top. Once you have that done you rivit the channel back on & install the rubber seal. Then fold it all down so you can't see it & enjoy the spring weather :)

I'd also bet you can find some good write up's just by doing a google search on the topic &/or checking the articles on the MG Experience board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.