(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Well, that was a pain!
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 22, 2011 04:37PM

Put the Speedo gear in today. Ran out of time before I could test it before I had to leave, but I'm sure that was it... There was no gear on the sender. Now, to get at it I had to remove the H pipe. It's held on with band clamps so wasn't too bad. Not enough clearance between the sender & tranny tunnel to get the sender out... Tried just un-bolting the trans mount to see if I could shift it to one side... No go. Looked like if I dropped the trans about 1 1/2 to 2" I could get the sender out... Nope. Couldn't drop it enough because of the rear cross-member (really wishing I'd have done Bill's mod). Ended up cutting an access hole in the tunnel and making a plate to seal it. Even the plate took a while - lots of curves in the tunnel at that spot. Welded captive nuts on the inside so if I have to do it again I won't have to pull the trans tunnel carpet back. Next time it should be an hour job. Took me about 4hrs today!

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Well, that was a pain!
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: November 22, 2011 07:07PM

Darn Rob, glad I decided to go mechanical with a cable! I don't have my exhaust in yet and that helps (makes it possible).

Paul

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: November 22, 2011 09:36PM

Makes me think that putting an access hole in that location before I button things up may be a good idea in the event I ever need to access the speedo sender.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 22, 2011 10:05PM

That and do Bill's mod to the rear cross member so you can drop the trans down. Might not even need the access hole if you do that.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: November 23, 2011 05:55AM

As it would happen, I ordered Bill G's V8 install kit last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Been almost three years since the motor and tranny resided in the engine bay of the 'B'. High time they were reunited.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.