Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Re: Roadmaster Events List
Posted by: lawnvett
Date: May 09, 2014 12:57PM

I regret to tell you guys say I am unable to fulfill my obligation to drive roadmaster from Ky to Overland Ks. I hope someone else can fill-in.
The wedding planning for that same weekend prevents me from being able to go.

I'm sorry for having to be a slacker on this one but I've got to be here to help with the logistics of our daughters wedding.

I should be able to help most any other time this year!

Attached is a photo of Dr. Emily Penney who will be wed the weekend of May 17, 2014
carshow + emily 8-06 094.jpg

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: May 09, 2014 01:14PM

Congratulations! Best wishes to the happy couple

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 12, 2014 10:57AM

I sure hope someone will be able to drive the Roadmaster BGT to Bill Young's service. I will contribute $100.00 toward the fuel costs.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 12, 2014 05:44PM

Jim and Steve are planning on delivering the Roadmaster to me on Thursday.

Mike Maloney is driving in from Ohio and will meet me on Friday morning; we will caravan (with Mike in his Beemer) to Kansas City on Friday, overnighting at the Quality Inn in Merriam, KS which was one of the recommended hotels.

We will attend the gathering at Bill Davidson's house Saturday afternoon. We've not decided if we will stay in Merriam Saturday evening or not...depends on what transpires that afternoon.

I plan on leaving the Roadmaster with Bill Davidson....Mike will chauffeur me back to Saint Joseph. The car may have a fighting chance of getting to BritishV8 2014 and then further West now!!!!

I think the planets are finally aligned.

rick

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 16, 2014 11:40PM

Thanks go out to Jim, Steve, Rick & Mike for getting the RM out to KS for Bill Youngs memorial service.

madmax
Max Fulton
Durham, NC
(186 posts)

10/19/2008 07:45PM

Main British Car:
1974 1/2 MGB 1972 MGB 1977 V8 project 1972 B r 1860 cc

Posted by: madmax
Date: May 17, 2014 09:10AM

Okay, I'll ask...

Rick/MIke--

DID YOU MAKE IT?

Friends of Roadmaster want to know. :-)

M

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 17, 2014 11:03AM

Max, they made it.

[www.mgexp.com]

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 17, 2014 11:04AM

He did

details from Facebook & [www.mgexp.com]

" Roadmaster performed flawlessly today. Arrived in Kansas City for Bill Young's memorial in good shape....even in Friday night rush hour traffic. Travelled with Mike Maloney (The Arkleyologist) and his BMW Z3 Coupe.

We took US 36 across Missouri...much nicer drive than I-70. Rainy day....my view through the windscreen didn't change much."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 11:06AM by lawnvett.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 18, 2014 07:16AM

Would love to hear about the memorial service anyone want to post some details

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: May 18, 2014 05:47PM

The Roadmaster was waiting for me in my drive when I got home from work on Thursday.

I checked the pressure in the tyres and checked the oil (added a quart), then waited for Friday to arrive.

Mike Maloney got here about 9:30am on Friday morning, and we headed to Overland Park, Kansas; me in the Roadmaster and Mike in his 2001 BMX Z2 coupe.

We took I-74 to I-57 to I-72 to US36 to I-35 to Overland Park. About 420 mile (a 6-1/2 ride). I rained on us most of the way, but the trip was not miserable.

We caught the attention of a Missouri State Trooper about an hour west of Hannibal. My radar detector went off and a millisecond later his overheads came on and he did a quick u-turn to follow us. He followed us for a while with the overhead on, but never came right up behind us..and took an exit ramp. We were only doing about 74mph....so he either wanted to slow us down to the 70mph limit, wanted to see the car, had another call, or was just being a prick. Take your choice.

The Roadmaster ran flawlessly the entire trip to Overland Park. Mike and I visited a repair/restoration shoppe owned by a young (34) man named Matt Pluff where we saw several projects underway (a 1936 Chevrolet coupe, two '70s Buick Riviera, two 1966 Mustangs (a 6-cylinder coupe and a V8 Fastback), a Ford Falcon, an early Midget (which was Matt's wife's car and will be receiving a V6 conversion). Outside the shoppe were several other cars including, but not limited to, an MGB LE, a Midget, an Arkley, and a Jeep CJ. Matt had heard about the Roadmaster and was very impressed, especially after I let him take it out for a drive.

We made it over to Bill Davidson's house about noon and staged the Roadmaster in his drive. Bill'sV6 powered MGB/GT was also there along with a "Faux-rarri" owned by Don Boner (an MGB with V6 power and bodywork that made it look like a small Ferarri).

It was not too long before members of the local British Car Club arrived in MGs, Triumphs, and daily drivers. (Merv Hagen drove in from Chicago in his Corvette). About fifty folks were in attendance and enjoyed food, potables, and shared stories about Bill "The Lumberjack" Young. It was a great day.

I left the Roadmaster in the very capable hands of Bill Davidson; Mike and I headed for home about 4pm (and arrived safely about 10:30pm).

So that, in a nutshell, is a recap of my drive and the memorial gathering.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2014 09:51AM

Just wondering if RM has been on display this Memorial Day weekend?

Are there any plans to arrange a special parking place at French Lick?

I did write to Drive Away Cancer but so far no reply.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 05, 2014 12:54PM

[www.facebook.com]

I spoke to John, he is currently on the road in Grace, and we plan to meet in NC next week to discuss the possibility of RM participation in Drive away cancer .

Grace, the Healy John has been driving over a 100,000 miles per year is currently in TX with a failed generator.
Grace the drive away cancer HealyMG.jpg

[driveawaycancernow.org]
will provide a full report of our meeting. John understands that we are seeking info now and will discuss this at the next BADASS meeting in Colorado Springs. I'm sure we can also talk it up in French Lick also. He and Grace, the Healy he's been driving a 100,000 miles per year are back on the road again. He called from near Dallas, TX where his generator failed again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 01:30PM by lawnvett.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 05, 2014 09:22PM

PJ, I have some contacts in the Dallas MG club. If John could use some local connections, PM me and I'll reach out to him. I'd bet the folks there could likely help with garage space to work on it and likely someone has contacts at an alternator rebuild shop if not able to source one locally on quick order.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 13, 2014 04:48PM

when is RM scheduled to arrive in French Lick?

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 17, 2014 03:53PM

It is here in French lick

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 20, 2014 02:47PM

I believe I'm sort of expected to make a report so here's the latest:

B.A.D.A.S.S. Treasurer Bill Davidson, acting as interim President pro-tem called an emergency meeting which, given that there was a quorum of members present at the event was both timely and proper.

The first order of business was to elect new officers. After due discussion, Pete Mantell was elected President and assumed control of the meeting. No VP was elected. Bill will continue as Treasurer and Graham as Secretary where they will continue their duties in their customary manner.

Because there has been no support for the program to send the car westward the advisability of trailering it to Colorado was brought into question. (If Bill takes it he will not be able to drive it for personal reasons, meaning he will not be able to drive his V6 conversion either.) Because we have no member ready and able to accept custody of the car, the risk is just too high that Bill will then have to trailer it back to Kansas City and the burden of that two way trip is more than we could justify asking him to take on.

Compounding the difficulty is the fact that we also have no member stepping forward to take custody of the car at any point westward of Colorado. Because of this, and because interest in the car began to wane just about at the point when we painted it and has continued to do so ever since, we agreed unanimously that the time has come to offer it for sale.

A motion was made, seconded, discussed at length, amended, and passed with the following provisions. The car is now available for sale to any qualified purchaser, as-is, where-is. The price, which takes into account the uniqueness of the car, the many custom elements, the current condition, and other considerations including its provenance and the unique manner in which it was built, is $35,000 This is estimated to be less than 1/4 of the cost to build including parts, materials, cash donations and time invested but is hoped to result in a ready sale as well a pretty good investment opportunity. (Other cars such as the Berlin GT having sold for much higher amounts.)

Upon sale the proceeds will be placed in a Municipal Trust Fund and the interest from that fund will be disbursed annually to provide support for the annual BritishV8 meet and the BritishV8 Newsletter, in proportions of 75 and 25% respectively. Won't be a great deal of money but it will be dependable and perpetual.

In the meantime the car can continue to appear at events, and if it has not sold by the onset of cold weather Pete has agreed to store it for the winter (unless we send it south). The door has not completely closed on any chance of a western tour, but without a unified plan of support it is not likely to happen, particularly as there are quite a number of events in the east where it can appear, including the GS Nationals at Bowling Green, whose participants helped build the car by providing the engine and other components.

In closing I would like to say that it has been a privilege and a pleasure to have been involved with the people who brought this project to fruition. What started as a joke, morphed into a plan just to prove this conversion could be done, and ultimately resulted in an historical example of LBC car conversion art has in the process brought us all closer together as a family, as it was intended to do. For that I want to thank you all.

Jim Blackwood, former "BADASS Boss"

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 20, 2014 11:12PM

Thanks Jim a clear concise description of the meeting, and most of the members were sober, the partying was a little later.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: July 14, 2015 08:34AM

The Roadmaster will be at BritishV8 2015 this week (July 15-18, 2015). PJ Lenihan will take over as caretaker of the car and will campaign it on the east coast.

The Roadmaster has been under my care since early last fall.

I have taken it to several local Street Rod events, as well as the Champagne British Car Festival. The car continues to draw a crowd.

As much fun as this car is....I look forward to passing it off to PJ and gaining a bay back in my garage.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 14, 2015 04:32PM

Let us also recognize Ken Nicks, Ken has agreed to shelter the RM in his excellent restoration shop in Jonesville, NC.
1234 Ken & PJ on a bgt.jpg

Eclectic Rods & Restorations
Auto Body Shop · Automotive Repair · Automotive Consultant

Like it on Facebook and say hello to Ken in Indy.
V8 meet Townsend.jpg

I will see to it that RM visits some auto tech schools, a few local shows, and the Hilton Head event in Oct. 2015. If anyone has other suggestions or wants to host the RM just contact me.
PJ Lenihan
three three 6 four 62-one one 47
lawnvett@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 04:36PM by lawnvett.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: July 14, 2015 05:57PM

The Roadmaster has arrived!

Roadmaster by a Nose.jpg
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.