(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: Roadmaster Events List
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: October 06, 2016 07:40AM

Jim. saw the XK8 Vert in previous pics. all looked good. Hope for great turnout in the meet next year. Mathew coming to Townsend?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 06, 2016 08:58AM

Frayed knot. He's in school.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 12, 2016 12:51AM

Had the Roadmaster out running errands the last couple of days, now that the clutch slave is repaired and I must say that with the power steering and brake booster it is a pleasure to drive. At least for short trips. I have a spring ordered for the carb secondaries, not sure when it will get here but that should improve throttle response a little.

Sunday I plan to take it over to Filmore's again, the regular hot rodder's get together, and now that Matt is in the Northern Car Club at NKU will try to make any local import meets they have going on. I'll report back here when I do.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 14, 2016 12:45PM

Filmore's is down to the die-hards but we still has fun. Met some low riders with mini-trucks who were pretty cool.

I'd be taking it to WV today on a scouting trip for the 2017 V8 meet but there is a growing vibration in the driveline somewhere that gets worse when I turn right. Don't want to chance getting stranded until I know the cause.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 23, 2016 01:24PM

A bit cold, but Matt and I had the car out on a parts run. A young guy in a hot hatch was pulling up alongside to look, and a woman in a Rhino rolled down her window so she could get a photo with her phone.

Still draws a crowd.

Jim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: February 21, 2017 02:35AM

MG 2017 San DEigo June, 2017??

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: February 21, 2017 07:03AM

Insomnia, PJ?

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: February 21, 2017 09:23AM

yup

Oldbloke
Jim Legg
Napa, California
(94 posts)

01/24/2013 03:24PM

Main British Car:
1970 Rover P6 3500S Rover 3.5L V8

Posted by: Oldbloke
Date: April 09, 2017 06:20PM

Visit from PJ this past week leads me to ask: to whom can I send payment to become a donating member of this elite group with the hope of one day getting some wheel time?

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: April 10, 2017 09:18PM

Rick Ingram would be able to get the moneys to the right person for you......( mowog1)( personal message )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 09:20PM by 74ls1tr6.

TC
Thomas Canty

(14 posts)

04/25/2017 02:02PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TC
Date: April 25, 2017 02:13PM

Any more info on that Jaguar Racing Green MGB GT sitting next to you at the Street Rod Nationals in Knoxville?

Color, flairs, wheels, even hood louvers, all perfect. Love to have more info or a place to get it along with some more photos.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 26, 2017 10:10AM

You must mean Dan Master's GT.

[www.britishv8.org]

Jaguar Racing Green? Yeah, that is what I would tell everyone. Sounds so much better than saying "Toyota Prius Electric Green Mica".

TC
Thomas Canty

(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 04, 2017 11:10AM

YIKES ! ! ! !

That is just one perfect, beautiful ride ! ! ! ! ! !

Makes the "roadmaster" look like a foolish "ricer" doesn't it . . . ?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 05, 2017 10:10AM

Ricer? "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement"

So what exactly on the Roadmaster do you consider cosmetic/non-functional? Other than the paint. I'm sorry but I can't think of a thing.

Not to denigrate Dan's car, it is indeed a beauty. But when was the last time you saw a 7-1/2 liter Ricer?

Jim

TC
Thomas Canty

(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 11, 2017 12:43PM

Well . . .

Much as I'd love to point out that ridiculous air cleaner and the foolish decision to chop a hole in the hood to "feature" it rather than a bulge to hide that embarrassment, I won't.

I won't even mention that silly ricer inspired front air dam sett way to high to be of any real use and just serving as a cosmetic "just for show" cruise night mistake.

If you haven't come across a "ricer" capable of producing the horse power of an antique 300 ci engine and WITH the handling to match. Meaning functional ground effects rather than a paste on fiberglass fallacy up front., then you really need to visit You Tube for more than a look at you own ridiculous ride.

But I won't say any of this because I was taught to respect my elders in spite of their obvious dementia.

"Not to denigrate Dan's car, it is indeed a beauty."

My post was all about beauty though, and certainly not about antique engines.

That green MGB IS a truly beautiful, esthetically balanced work of ART. Difficult and thoughtful decisions were obviously made throughout the build to achieve that result. Note: no garish air cleaner or accompanying hole in the hood. It's a very successful design exercise, not a full sized four year old's vision of a Hot Wheels Toy. I'm afraid that your car, in the current nomenclature, "Just looks ASS !" in comparison.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 11, 2017 02:52PM

This thread is overdue for some pictures... Here's a nice one:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ROADMASTER/Roadmaster-AD.JPG

Thomas doesn't care for engines that project through the hood. With forward facing scoops. Roadmaster's "bug catchers" are downright subtle compared to what one might see on atop a 471. It's a hotrod thing. Nothing ricer about it. Closer to "gasser", maybe?

And Thomas particularly doesn't care for the 1967 Buick "Star Wars" air cleaner. Fair enough. Taste is subjective. But that particular air cleaner announces "Big Block Buick" from fifty yards away. Even with the bonnet closed. Which makes an especially interesting statement in the context of a muscle car and hotrod show. Roadmaster is one of VERY few MGs that can consistently draw a crowd in those fields and parking lots. The Roadmaster concept largely started on a Buick muscle car message board. Roadmaster celebrates a special but little known association between these constituencies. Not Chevy, not Ford, not Mopar, and most certainly not ricer... Buick.

Yes, you can get more power from a smaller, more modern engine. So what?

Unlike Thomas, apparently, I've actually driven Roadmaster. It's a hoot! Effortless because of its massive torque. Wonderful bass growl. But since the tune is mild, its engine has no bad behaviors. (Starts easy. Idles smooth.) Did I mention that it sounds glorious?

TC
Thomas Canty

(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 11, 2017 06:18PM

"Yes, you can get more power from a smaller, more modern engine. So what?"

You misread my intent, I never mentioned power and the displacement of that silly thing, SO not even close to the Gasser-Style, more like bolting a butterfly-style scoop directly onto your hood.

I was strictly speaking esthetics here, AND above and that car is sadly missing . . .

Compared to that beautiful green MGB, the maroon one is an absurd parody of what a performance car could be.

I'm sure that the crowds gather for the WTF factor and leave with "Thank GOD that's not mine." on their lips.

Limited performance of that engine aside, thats' a silly little boy's ride . . . !

Agree to disagree is always the best option. I'm done posting on this one, you all too?

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: June 11, 2017 10:26PM

Curtis, TC is just a troll. Don't feed him. He obviously has no knowledge of the RM project at all.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 11, 2017 10:59PM

He must be having a bad week. Didn't get to go to 2017BritishV8, and Lord knows what other problems he has. Maybe some purist got on him for putting a Mustang engine in an MGA.

But that's no excuse for rudeness, especially when clueless about the ownership, build, intent, and purpose of an automobile. Last time I looked the RM had over 50 owners, so way to go in managing to offend that many people all in one shot. Not something I'd want to do, but then I usually try to avoid being that offensive.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 12, 2017 12:26PM

The front air dam is functional. It is good for at the very least, 30-50mph on the top end before the steering starts to get light, I don't know of anyone who has tested it's limits, but an MGB without it will start to lift by 100-120mph. It also protects the radiator. It is and has been a commonly used accessory from early MGB production.

The hole in the hood is functional. It lets out radiator exhaust and helps the engine stay at "N" on the gage at all times. It also gives clearance for the air cleaner. To the best of my knowledge there is one, and only one way that a stock hood could close over that engine, and that would require the fabrication of a custom intake and EFI. Quite a challenge, and a good bit beyond both the intent and the capabilities of B.A.D.A.S.S. at the time the car was built.

As Curtis said, the Iconic "Star Wars" air cleaner was chosen, at least partly to notify the Buick faithful that this was one of theirs. Note: The original MGBGT-V8 had a Buick engine so there was heritage to be considered, and indeed heritage was was the Raison d'être which brought the car into existence. The thought being stated at the time as, "It can be done, so it MUST be done." and that the smallest Buick V8 ever mass produced was used by the MGB Factory at Abingdon with the intent being to close the circle by building a car with the largest Buick V8 ever mass produced. This is pure and undistilled American Hot-Rodding to the very core.

Admittedly there was some cosmetic intent in those build decisions. But that may be said of anything not produced for purely utilitarian purposes, and I rue the day that mindset takes over all automotive design. And when you look at Design you will notice that there are definite National, cultural and regional influences that will usually be visible in the design itself. Such is certainly the case in American, British, European, and Oriental styling, with the term Ricer usually being the exclusive province of the Oriental school of design. Nothing on this car, perhaps with the exception of the HID headlights which show some European influence, deviates from either the British or the American school. So the Ricer comment is not just inapplicable but completely irrelevant.

Finally, I understand many feel these recent posts are an affront to the originator of this thread and staunch supporter of the Roadmaster project, the much loved and all too recently departed Bill Young, may he ever rest in peace, and enjoy a rousing ride in the afterlife. Please, let's try to be a little more considerate of our Brothers here, and take the negativity to another thread or another site. Thank you all.

Jim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.