(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Roadmaster Events List
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 06, 2011 08:20PM

Strike two for Bill Guzman... The Vintage Air tour next year is from San Antonio to Bowling Green KY. Don't have the date they'll head out but it ends at the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend Raceway June 14-16 so I'd guess a few days before that.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 06, 2011 09:46PM

Rob that would be an excellent way to get the car back east for other events. There must be some events either along the way or near Bowling Green that we can take in as well. As soon as you get more information on that event please post it and we'll try to line up some drivers for that one as well.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 06, 2011 10:44PM

Will do Bill.

I know there are plenty of folks in line ahead of me, but if Roadmaster does stay in TX between Palestine & the Vintage Air tour, there'd be plenty of opportunities to show it off. Off the top of my head I can think of:
* Saturday nights at a nearby Kroger -- Niftee Fifties (niftee50ees.com) -- typically about 200 cars -
mostly hotrods & muscle cars, but always at least 8-10 Cobras & typically an LBC or two, early restored
VW's, etc. -- atmosphere is very relaxed -- folks mill around & chat
* Cars & Coffee @ a local shopping center the 1st Saturday of June (every 1st Saturday; a couple hundred
cars with tons of high end cars like Fararri's, Lambo's, etc. + muscle, cars, hot rods, Cobras, tuners, etc.
* All British & European Car Day (May 22nd in Dallas)
I'm sure Wayne & some others could come up with other events in Dallas, Austin, & San Antonio.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 12, 2011 08:14AM

Progress has been made, we now have Bill Davidson and myself who will see the car through from where ever the stop in eastern Missouri is to Stillwater, OK.
Rob, I think you might be on to something for a while and I know you'll enjoy the car and take good care of it, but we need to figure out how to get the car back east. Will your schedule allow that much time?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 12, 2011 12:10PM

Hey guys, there are a lot of you out there that contributed to the Roadmaster project either in cash, parts, or labor. Remember, this car isn't going to be trailered, so we need a list of people and events that spans the entire driving season and can move the car logically from place to place, driver to driver without anyone having to go far out of their way. If we can do the Power Tour, we then need a succession of driver's and events that will move the car back east in time for some of the summer events in that part of the country. We want to have the car end up with Jim around October so that he can take it to the Buick GS Nationals and then put it away for the winter. If we can't find a volunteer and schedule to move the car from Dallas then perhaps the Power Tour won't work out, we just can't leave the car there at the end.
And don't think that if you sign up for the Power Tour and only have the car for a day or two that that time would be your only turn with the car, I hope that everyone on the list will have at least a couple of weeks or more with the car as it moves around the country, it's just the format of the Power tour and the distance involved that makes handing the car off every couple of days seem the logical choice.
Basically what we're looking for is guys to step up and say, "If I had the Roadmaster in (name the month) I'd take it to this or these events and could deliver it to someone else at an event midway between those two people.
In my case it would be, if I had the car in late August, early September I would take the car to the KC All British, The Goodguys show that same weekend, the GOBMC show in Carthage, MO, and deliver it to someone at the St. Louis All British later in the month. Now we'd need someone to step up and say they could pick up the car in St. Louis and move it on to someone else hitting some good events along the way.
I'd like to get most of this all finalized before mid May if we can, as the entry time for some of the spring events would be rapidly approaching at that time.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 12, 2011 04:15PM

Any of our group up around DesMoines Iowa? I see a Goodguys event up there in late June and others around Chicago later on, good fun and great exposure. Any takers?

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: December 12, 2011 04:35PM

Where and when are you going to be in Eastern Missouri please? Would like to see the car. Can I suggest John Mangles (MG Doc) at all British Car Repair Shop. Overland Mo. 10 mile west of downtown St.Louis. St.Louis has strong MG and Triumph car clubs.....Or the alternative is a Hooters that the Missouri Endurance Rally normally leaves from. Inexpensive motel near by.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 12, 2011 10:30PM

David, the overnight stops will be set by the organizers of the Power Tour, we don't have anything to say about those. Currently no sites have been selected, but if you're going from Champaign, Illinois to Stillwater, Oklahoma you almost certainly have to pass close to St.Louis and the Springfield - Joplin area if you're going to keep the daily mileage around 240 miles or so. I guess they might go more north through DesMoines and then down to KC, but the roads past KC to Oklahoma aren't all that good, mostly 2 lane. You can keep checking the Hot Rod Magazine web site for the latest news on the overnight stops and I'll keep you guys up to date here as I hear news.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 13, 2011 12:13AM

RE: Will your schedule allow that much time?

I'm sure I can handle the PowerTour & the local stuff. If no one else wanted to start the 1st leg of the return trip, I could do 1 leg of that but would want to swap out w/someone at the end of the day on the 14th. That way I could make it home before the end of the weekend. At the end of the day, if using the Vintage Air tour doesn't work, no hard feelings of course.

Probably the best way to figure out a plan for the year is like you noted above -- have folks say what/when would work for them & work out a plan that makes sense.

June works for me because of the timing of the PowerTour to Arlington (my folks live in the Dallas area) but we have a pretty long season -- pretty much mid-March through October or November there are plenty of warm days. The Saturday night hot rod gathering I mentioned goes every Saturday from Easter through Halloween.

We also do need to figure out when to get the car to the west coast.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 13, 2011 07:59AM

Rob, my personal opinion is that everyone who contributed to the project have at least a couple of weeks with the car at a minimum. With events in almost everyone's area most every weekend that would allow them to really show off the car to their friends and get the feel of what they helped build. To get everyone included it might take a couple of years at least but that's the purpose of the project, to spread the word on how much fun modified British cars can be. We could have formed a list based on the size of the persons contribution but that wouldn't insure that the car would get the maximum exposure and make a logical transistion from place to place, so we decided to work from location of the car rather than personal contribution.
As for getting the car out west, we're working on that, but there are a lot of miles in between and very few members between Colorado and California. We'll figure it out, might be 2013 before we can get it out there. I'll retire next August and have more time to work on transporting the car if we just need drivers. I'm hoping that we can work something out after the 2013 V8 meet in Omaha to get the car west, at least to Curtis in Colorado as a start. It's a fairly complex logistical problem but we're making progress.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: December 18, 2011 06:11PM

Bill any time of the year for California and yes several places to show the GT Goodguys events, several of them a year.
Sunday coffee gatherings from San Diego to Santa Barbara, 300 days a year.
Car shows every month and the list goes on.

We also have a museum that would show the car for as long as we want.
So....anytime, bring the bad boy over. I will be waiting.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 18, 2011 09:53PM

Bill G, it sounds like you've just handed us the formula for the California leg. Get it out there whenever we can do it, and there's a home for it until we can arrange a trip back. That should help. I just hope you don't mind too much if we try to satisfy most of our obligations in this part of the country before it heads your way.

JB

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 19, 2011 11:40AM

Find with me Jim B.

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: December 21, 2011 03:04PM

The first post had me giddy about Key West, I may have to make that run anyway and see what the purists have to say ):-]

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 21, 2011 04:03PM

The guys from KC who make it down there say it's a great event, a lot of relaxed fun.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 03, 2012 04:18PM

Well guys it's 2012 and getting closer to the Hot Rod Power Tour. Those of you that have already made the committment to help drive the car on the trip are getting close to running out of time to make their hotel reservations etc, so we need to finalize that last couple of days with Rob and then where the car goes from Dallas. If it comes down to it and Rob can't continue with the car I could go on down from Stillwater, OK to Dallas and then drive the car back to KC for a while until we can arrange a swap. But I'll have to know pretty soon so that I can make reservations and arrangements on the Dallas end. Anyone interested in making the power tour please let me know as soon as possible. Cut off for registrations is the 21st of May, same day as the start of the V8 meet in Palestine, but hotel reservations will have to be made much earlier I expect so we need to nail down all the participants by mid March at least I'd think. Along with car shows like the one Jim's been invited to this type of event will really give us some great press and exposure for the car which is why we built it in the first place.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 03, 2012 09:30PM

Bill & crew, I'm sure I can handle the OK to Dallas leg and either swap out with someone in Dallas for where the car goes next or bring it to Houston and show it at the various events around here till the next move.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 03, 2012 10:10PM

Consider this schedule The Good Guys They have a few events in that part of the country where you guys want to keep the RM

I am a member of the Good Guys and they do a great show. They may make an exception for the RM.
It would not hurt to contact them.

Here is the schedule [www.good-guys.com]

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: January 03, 2012 10:25PM

Good-guys accepts 1972 and earlier cars. The RM should make the cut. It's a '68, right?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 04, 2012 08:14AM

Dan, I don't remember exactly what year the body is, but it's definitley pre 72 because of the steering wheel design. Great idea you had, it looks like it's working out great.
Bill G. I've looked at the Goodguys schedule, was hoping to get the RM to the Goodguys show in KC in September, just waiting for others to volunteer to host the car at other events around the country so we can set up the tour schedule. As with the Hot Rod Power Tour, the car will either go to Houston with 'Rob or back to KC with me after the tour because we don't have anyone else ready to take the car to some other shows and areas. One of the groups problems is that we are a pretty scattered bunch without many members either west of Dallas or in the south, so making connections is going to be a bit more difficult when the car is in certan areas of the country, but we will work it all out and get the car to everyone we can as quickly as we can, including you in Southeren California. We have British V8 guys in New Mexico and Arizona, but so far we haven't had a chance to meet them, hopefully we'll see them in Palestine this year. Getting them on board will certainly help with a westward swing for the RM and we still have to find a way to get it up to Curtis in Colorado as well.
Me and my big mouth, though this job would be easy to coordinate. We'll get it done though and try to keep everyone happy along the way while meeting the objectives of the origanization.
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.