(4 posts)

07/17/2009 01:58PM

Main British Car:
57 mga 1500 being replaced with 3.8 buick turbo gn

mga ride height
Posted by: rjbyram
Date: December 13, 2011 01:07AM

simple question with an explanation.
I'm redoing the front and rear suspension on my mga with mustang II front spindles, a-arms & willwood discs and trianglated 4 bar in the rear, coil overs all around. after taking the summer off, i can't find my origional notes on the stock ride height.
does anyone know off hand the dimensions from the ground to the: 1) frame at the center, 2) front and rear bumper mounts, or 3)
the body mounting pads at the front and rear?
thanks in advance
bob byram

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: mga ride height
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 13, 2011 08:04AM

I could take some measurements off my car, but it's far from complete at this point so will be sitting a few inches higher than normal. My suggestion would be to bolt on some fenders and then put the tires you plan on using in the wheel wells and adjust the height until you get the look you want with good clearance, then measure the ground clearance to the frame.
You might get some idea from this old photo of my MGA in the shop with 185 70 15s on wire wheels on the car. The engine and trans are mounted, so the weight isn't too far off.
project.jpg

rjbyram
robert byram
grand blanc, mi
(4 posts)

07/17/2009 01:58PM

Main British Car:
57 mga 1500 being replaced with 3.8 buick turbo gn

Posted by: rjbyram
Date: December 14, 2011 02:07PM

bill
thanks for the info
i have done what you suggested and set my ride ht at about 6 inches form the center of the frame to ground.
but some things just don't add up, like the rear axle travel to the bump stop is less than 2 inches (same tire od, etc)
that's why i wanted to get a confirmation on the stock rh. anyway, thanks for trying
bob

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 14, 2011 02:18PM

Robert, they don't have a lot of suspension travel at all, not designed for off road work, but for sporting driving on paved highways and tracks. Remember if you have 2 to 3" at the bump stop the tire can move almost twice that amount.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.