(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Is it worth it
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 27, 2011 07:42PM

I do use them as a jacking point. And for jack stands when I need them away from the spring perches.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Re: Is it worth it
Posted by: classic conversions
Date: December 28, 2011 02:20PM

One important issue is to make sure the body is relaxed. If you jack one side an then weld one of the stiffeners, it will not work very well. One way to prove this and to find weak areas, is to place a string and pace it really tight from inside to the outside of the the floor board. Jack one side of the car, now take a look at the string, is either tighter or relax, would mean that you need to a stiffener.
The all fashion way of finding weak areas on a chassis.

Twisting of the chassis is possible even with the extensions welded to the front spring eye. Reason why I suggest welding a stiffener between the extensions across to triangulate the space.

The best way and perhaps the correct way to do, is to have the car on all 4 wheels high enough to give you space to weld the stiffeners on the car.

Tack weld both sides and alternate the welding when running a full bead.
Not a bad idea to check the car for squareness at this point, but not really needed for the street.

The best way to stiffen the chassis is by stiffening the center trans tunnel, fire wall and rear wall of any chassis.

This two pictures are of two chassis, one for the street one for racing. We are trying to form a racing series base on a light chassis and low cost engine such as the ECOTEC 2.4 liter.
Yes when I finish all of my MGB projects.

Notice both chassis and look at the front of chassis #3 compared to chassis #2.
chassis2a.jpg
chassis3a.jpg
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.