Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Hi Gang
Posted by: t.lay
Date: May 13, 2008 10:34PM

Got a 72 gt I want to convert to a 5.0 and T5. Body is pretty solid - one hole in a dog leg and some bubbles on the pass. rocker cover. I understand the front crossmember mod is fairly common - has anyone done a dry-sumped 5.0 to deal with the clearance issue? Any reason it wouldn't work? Trying to avoid big holes in the bonnet. Also, firewall mods - what is different between RB cars and CB firewalls? What kind of mods needed there? I've noticed a few 5.0 and sbc conversions have wiped out the heater shelf - do people just ditch the hvac system or are there other options? Sorry for all the newb questions - just trying to get a good idea what I'm facing beyond the basic body stuff.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Hi Gang
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 14, 2008 01:20AM

Welcome to the message board, Tom!

If you click on the "meetings" button above, you can get all the details about our upcoming annual meet, which will be in Wisconsin this summer. I highly recommend the meet for everyone - because it's great fun! - but I think you'll especially enjoy it because you'll have a chance to see several Ford 5.0 powered GT's and talk to their owners over the course of a couple days.

With regard to the heater shelf... opinions vary, but personally I've never missed my heater and I haven't had one in twenty years. If I did miss it, I could install heated seats or a remote heater. In fact, judging by our How It Was Done articles, the trend is toward removing the Smiths heater in favor of an under-dash heater or full-fledged HVAC unit anyway. Firewall differences and mods? Check the "photo gallery" and "searchable archive" - lots of good information! Lots of ways to skin cats. For a 5.0 installation, I'd definitely plan on routing the exhaust "RV8 style" through neat holes in the inner fenders, which will help a LOT with cooling and packaging at the same time. I'll shut up now and let other's have a turn. Cheers!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 14, 2008 10:16AM

Hi Tom & Welcome.

There are basically 3 ways to do a 5.0L MGB...
1. No firewall mods, but modify the front cross member. This has been probably the most common mechanism. For a great example, check out Graham Creswick's car here [www.britishv8.org] (if you decide to go this way & want a head start, let me know. I still have my modified cross member from before I decided to go with option 3b below)

2. Lose the heater shelf to move the motor fully behind the cross member. A great example of this method is Leonard Marshall's car... [www.britishv8.org]

3. Use an after market front cross member. There are three options I'm aware of for this...
- the Hoyle IFS. Probably the original IFS for the MGB. I don't recall the details but am pretty sure this one addresses the balancer/oil pan clearance and there are no changes to the firewall needed. Downside is it's the most expensive due to currency conversion & shipping from the UK. Larry Shimp's GT is a great example of this [www.britishv8.org]

- the FastCars IFS (Ted Lathrop). The 2nd one to market but probably way more common in the USA. Still pretty expensive & uses proprietary machined bushings so maintenance over time may be a hassle, but it's very well designed. It eliminates the balancer/oil pan clearance issue. Ted also has a Ford 302 motor mount option you can get w/it. Mounts are welded to the IFS & you get a tranny cross member for a the 86-93 mustang type T5's (94/95 5.0 mustangs have a longer input shaft so you'd have to modify the cross member). Downside is it's still expensive & the motor mounts do position the motor where you have to modify the firewall a little... clipping the corners on the left & right of the heater shelf to make room for the cylinder heads. Not a difficult mod; I can send you pics if you want to see what you have to do. Good example of this is Jack Pease's car done by Pete Mantell [www.britishv8.org]. Steve Carrick's car is another good example, but I'm pretty sure he did his before Ted had the 302 motor mount option.

- Todd Budde IFS. I haven't seen this one mentioned anywhere yet, but I was talking with Todd earlier in the week & he mentioned he'd built one for a client's car that he's currently working on. I'd definitely check w/him before deciding today (I have Ted's IFS for my car). No pics of this one yet.

RE: Dry sump -- do your research. could definitely be used to eliminate the blancer/oil pan clearance problem. can be very expensive & comes with some other "opportunities".

RE: Difference between CB & RB engine bays...
- slight difference in where corners left/right of heater shelf are clipped. RB more clipped from the factory. May/may not make a difference for you depending on option chosen above. And again, an easy mod to do yourself.

- RB cars have an extra depression on the inner fenders for header clearance -- I'm using a '76 RB shell so I have these bulges. Not sure it'd have been any different if they weren't there, i'd have to look again; maybe someone else will know.

- '77 and later cars have the radiator support further forward. Again, not difficult to change if you have a CB shell.

Net, conventional wisdom will tell you to use a RB shell, but having been through fitting the 5.0 and switching to CB, if I were going to do it again, I'm pretty sure I'd start with a CB shell. The engine bay work is easier & less visible than the mods to put chrome bumpers on a RB shell. Just a thought.

RE: Heater/AC -- if you do delete the heater, check out VintageAir. VintageAir's "Gen II Mini" will fit behind the dash (metal dash anyway) with a little modification to the bar that runs behind the dash & the center console brace. It's a bit of work, but can be worth it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2008 10:58AM by rficalora.

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Date: May 15, 2008 01:31AM

Thanks for the welcome and great info! I've still got a very long way to go, but want to get a good vision in my head before charging into things.

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Posted by: psmg
Date: May 15, 2008 09:27AM

Welcome Tom,

The best place to find and compare conversion information and ideas will be at the British V8 convention this summer in Port Washington, WI. This is close to you and we'd like to meet you. Information is on this website on the PUB forum (social and meet topics).

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Date: May 15, 2008 01:31PM

I'm hoping I can make it to Port Washington. It's going to be close - have to be in LA that wed. Mon and Tues may work though.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 15, 2008 01:54PM

Tom, I went when i was getting ready to do my car -- I can tell you it's well worth it. You'll meet great folks & get a chance to see how they did their conversions. Don't know everyone who's going this year, but you can probably count on at least 5-10 Ford 302 swaps so you'll be able to see some different solutions to how to do it, can talk with them about what they like... and what they don't... and likely ride in a few of them so you can feel the differences.

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Date: May 16, 2008 01:27PM

Sounds like I oughtta take this advice on the meet. I'll get signed up. So far all the interactions I've had with MG folks have been very positive - both from vendors and enthusiasts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.