Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

alibob22
Alan Silverstone
Cornwall UK
(3 posts)

05/20/2008 06:38PM

Main British Car:

I'm new here and need an engine number deciphered!
Posted by: alibob22
Date: May 20, 2008 06:56PM

Hello Everyone
As I do this for a living I should know the answer but I have searched every archive and can't get the accurate description/decipher for this Rover (OK...I know it was your Buick engine first) V8:
48114877D and above the number it is quite clearly stamped 9.25:1 CR - I am pretty sure it is a P6 Rover 3528cc (You do the cubic inch thing) although the 48D bit tells me it might be a 4.6 litre (I wished!)
I bought the B (79 R/B) with the engine already in and I can't ask the previous owner because, sadly, he was planted over a year ago. It will be Black with C/B, NO side chrome strips (This is England and I wear lots of wooly sweaters) lowered, 5 speed (SD1 box) and some rather nice Corvette type wheels. Was going to go for magnolia instruments but they cost more than a barrell of oil each!
Anyway it is time for bed now...If you want to know more about me : www.liskeardclassiccars.co.uk
Look forward to all your dentist jokes etc.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: I'm new here and need an engine number deciphered!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 20, 2008 08:18PM

I found a pretty extensive Rover engine number chart here:
[www.rimmerbros.co.uk]

Your engine number doesn't seem to perfectly match anything on this chart, and the chart doesn't have a very good key to explain its use... but in the lefthand column, twelve lines down, there's a listing that almost makes sense:
Quote:
48100001A..............P6 3500S manual 10.5:1:cr..............1967-1976
(Obviously your compression ratio doesn't match.)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 20, 2008 10:21PM

p.s. Alan, one glance at the side of the engine block will help you determine whether it's a later/bigger (4.0 or 4.6) version. The later engines have cross-bolted main bearings, and thus they have bolt heads along the side of the block's skirt. some snapshots of that were included in this thread earlier: [forum.britishv8.org] Also, I forgot to say "Hello" and "Welcome to our forum!" We hope you enjoy it here, come back often, and invite your friends too.

alibob22
Alan Silverstone
Cornwall UK
(3 posts)

05/20/2008 06:38PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: alibob22
Date: May 21, 2008 04:06AM

Hello Curtis
Thanks for the info and you can see why we are having trouble working out what it is. I will try and upload some photos - BTW this is a great site and some of the photos in the galleries are quite inspirational.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.