(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Ford 302 in an MGA . . . ?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 24, 2012 10:15PM

PM me your email & I'll shoot you some pics showing some reference points for how the motor lines up to the frame rails & how the distributor fits.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: July 25, 2012 08:57AM

Thanks Rob. On the way!

Paul

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

03/07/2012 02:01PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TeamEvil
Date: December 26, 2012 04:05PM

Well, sort of been away for a long while, poking around another MG site, gathering the crucial information that I needed for the disassembly of all of the bady pieces, removal of the body, and rebuilding the stock MGA front suspension. Now back (the prodigal son as it were) and in deeper trouble than when I left for a spell.

The project coupe (with the 302/T5 combination) is buttoned up and on hold until I better learn about what I'm doing. Right now I've shifted my attention to the '58 MGA roadster. Been gathering parts, working on body panels, rebuilding/refurbishing a grill and trim and interior parts and such in order to TRY to build a Vintage Drag Car in the old NHRA Modified Sports Car Class style.

For this car, I have a nice running 302 backed up by an AOD trans and hopefully a TR7/8 rear end. I also have a Mustang rear, but it's destined for another project. The automatic trans, while not as robust as it could be, will be perfect for the consistancy needed for any sucess at this. I'm sort of hoping that the automatic trans will also help the TR7/8 rear live a little longer than it would with a five speed.

Picked up a pair of old long tube headers off of an old Falcon along with vintage Weiand valve covers and intake, going to try to back-date the look of the 302 to that of an early hi-po 289. It'll fit the look of the body and further the masquerade.

Also got a handful of small vintage speed pieces to help round things out, I hope.

Anyway, GREAT to be back and all. I've already picked up a nice tip on helping to reduce rear spring wrap, and sold a pair of old Offy valve covers at a forum discount to someone looking for a bargain and in need of them.

All in all, a really fun return. I'll post some pics after the snows stop and the New Years stuff is over with.

Thanks all,

TC

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: December 26, 2012 06:54PM

Tom,

Just note on the Wieand intake, it's quite a bit taller than most of the usual aftermarket offerings so you'll need to account for that wit the bonnet height. It's too bad Pony carbs went of of business or I could have sent you over to them for nice period Autolite 4100 reworked to flow 560CFM.

DT

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 26, 2012 07:39PM

Thanks for the tip on the Weiand intake. I got it for a song and on this car height isn't a concern. I'd been planning on a snorkle-style scoop, but now thinking that I might cut and gently bend the aluminum so the the carb and horn look as though they punched through the hood, opening a maybe ten inch hole and bending/folding the aluminum back as they came through.

As a back-up plan, I picked up a fiberglass shaker scoop from one of those old Firebirds with the gold eagle decal on the hood.

Either way, the height of the intake and carb isn't a factor. The distributor WAS an issue, but the rebuilt "old school" Accel dual-point fits nice and low and snug and looks suitably vintage with that silly brown distributor cap.

I've picked up most of the necessary parts and got most of them sorted out as to what's going to fit and how each willl work. The VW Beetle torsion bar front end is almost there, the cage and door bars/reinforcements are the chores for this Winter. With only the original goal post still in play, the additional support tubing is going to have to be sorted out carefully. Luckily the car isn't going to be THAT fast, so the cage won't need to be too extensive to be NHRA legal, and the Nostalgia Drags are even more lenient than the regular class racing.

TC

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 27, 2014 03:24PM

WOW ! ! 2014 . . . it HAS been a long time since I last posted !

Still collecting parts for and solving problems on the 302 powered MGA coupe. As of now, I think that I have everything necessary to start in one it, wxcept some decent weather. It's been horribly here in New England this Winter.
Winter House.jpg
After going around a bit on the rear end, I found a nice narrowed Ford Capri for a great price, hopefully strong enough for the 302. The same rear end that came in the V8 Mustang II, so I should be OK for a while.

Ended up with an altered MG Midget pedal box with bent to fit pedals and TRW master cylinders for the clutch and brakes. Even with the T-5 trans and bellhousing, seems like the available room will be fine. I picked up a standard Hot Rod "spoon-style" firewall mount gas pedal which also will squeeze in just fine.

In the mean time, as I want to sell the Mustang and wanted something fun and reliable to replace it, I bought a neat '58 Austin A35. Already got the early MG MIdget front end/brake pieces for it and getting a late model Midget 3.7 rear end with the fatter axles. Bought a Capri V6/four speed combination as well. Just started in getting the body in shape, then start the installation of all of the upgrades that I bought for it.
A35 rear as purchased.jpg
rear1.jpg

All for now, promiss to post more often, Over and out,

TC
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.