(189 posts)

10/23/2007 10:09PM

Main British Car:
MGB Rover V8, TVR Chevy V8, MGB GT Ford V8

authors avatar
Which coil to use?
Posted by: harv8
Date: June 06, 2008 10:38PM

Just finished rewiring the car with Advance Wiring Kit. Everything works amazingly well but I noticed the coil gets very hot, so hot infact you cannot hold on to it! There is no ballast wire with the wiring kit. I thought I had fitted a coil that didn't need a ballast resistor but perhaps this is why the coil gets so hot. Any thoughts on this? What coils are people using?
HARV8 has a Rover 3.5 with Crane electronic ignition.

Thanks for any input,

Martyn

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Which coil to use?
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 07, 2008 12:41AM

There is no ballast wire, but most coils require a ballast resistor. The paper work that came with it should tell you what you need. I haven't shook hands with my coil, but would think that they would be very warm (mine's mounted on the intake manifold).

I'm using a Pertronix Ignitor II module in the distributor with an Ignitor II coil that does not need/nor have a ballast resistor. Prior to that, I was using points & a different coil without a ballast resistor. It was eating the points about every 1000 miles. That's why I had to do a 5 minute points change in the middle of the autocross at the 1st Grand Rapids V8 Meet to beat Kurt Schley. I kinda, sorta wish he had won that one.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Which coil to use?
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: June 07, 2008 11:27AM

Martyn,
FYI, using standard ignition/distributor with an Accel 1.5 ohm primary resistance coil plus an external 1.5 ohm ballast resistor in the "run" circuit. (Bypassed when in "start" circuit).
This, as you know, is for the Ford 302 but is the same combination I ran with the Olds 215 setup. Currently running electronic points but ran the standard points for a while with no issues......and yes, coils do get hot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.