Mark Rawlins

(75 posts)

02/02/2010 02:13PM

Main British Car:

MGB Aerodynamics. Will this work?
Posted by: v8bloke
Date: August 11, 2012 09:38AM

Hello All,
I have been doing more modifications to my 4.8L MGB GT V8, Road and trackday car. I couldnt find any details of someone adding a fully functional rear wing to an MGB in the net so have just jumped in at the deep end with my design.
Here are some photos would appreciate some feedback as to what you guys think.
So far have only driven on the highway upto about 80mph and it seems very stable. I now need to try it on track.
To complement the wing I am also fitting a front splitter that will extend back as far as the front crossmember.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/V8bloke/DSCN0299.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/V8bloke/DSCN0302.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/V8bloke/DSCN0297.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/V8bloke/DSCN0300.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: MGB Aerodynamics. Will this work?
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: August 11, 2012 10:56AM

Whether it works or not, it looks mean. You should contact Jim Blackwood, he has a wing on the back of his car but his is a roadster. As thorough as Jim is I'm sure he has lots of data on his wing.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 11, 2012 11:50AM

I always enjoy seeing photos of your car! (We need to get your page of the Photo Gallery updated to show your work properly.)

I'm enthusiastic about your idea of adding a splitter. The benefit should be substantial. Will you use it around town, or just for track days? If it's strictly for track days, maybe you can set it lower and extend it outward to front and sides further.

There are two winged MGBs on this site: Jim Blackwood's MGB and Phil's Leonard's RV8 racecar. I don't recall seeing any measurements of how well those wings work. It would be very interesting to put load cells under the mounts to see how much downforce is created. Of course lap times are the real measure of success.

Please keep us posted as you evaluate these concepts!

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: August 11, 2012 03:51PM

The larger the front splitter, the more wing you will need to balance the car out, the more angle of attack the more drag,
it's a tradeoff.
Dave

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: August 11, 2012 11:39PM

The last couple of races we've been running Phil's RV8 without the wing and doing quite well. We may need the additional downforce with a stronger engine, but for now it's pretty well balanced as it is without.

v8bloke
Mark Rawlins

(75 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 12, 2012 04:55AM

Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to experimenting with the new setup. Anyone who has seen my videos on youtube (v8bloke) will see that I have always been battling with oversteer so I am hoping the wing will help reduce this.
It will also be interesting to see how much straight line speed will be reduced by the extra drag.
To try and see what the airflow is doing I am going to attach some 5ft lengths of thin fabric ribbon to the top of the windscreen so they trail back over/under the wing. Then using my Gopro and suction mount attached to the roof drive at varying speeds to film how the ribbons trail. Dont know if it will work but worth a try!
Next trackday is on the Silverstone GP track on 2nd Sept so will post the findings.

Cheers

Mark

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: August 12, 2012 07:40AM

You might also take a look at Mike Sawatsky's (spelling?) heavily modified BGT track only car. He's running both a splitter and a wing and has been very detailed in his experiments with both. He has several threads on this board and at least one over on BritishV8. Might be worth a look.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 12, 2012 10:52AM

Mark Sawatsky's MGB-GT Racecar Build Thread: part 1, part 2, and part 3. (I think the aerodynamic stuff is mostly in part 2.)

v8bloke
Mark Rawlins

(75 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 13, 2012 08:17AM

Thanks
Looking forward to some testing. The good thing is that I can remove the wing easily for comparisons.

Mark

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: August 13, 2012 11:09AM

I had thought about testing different aerodynamic effects such as this. It would be real easy to hook p a potentiometer to measure suspension deflection at speed. You could run with and without and measure how much the suspension changes with each.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Date: August 13, 2012 04:18PM

mark,the tuft testing should be very revealing if you can get adequate pics ,can you move the wing up and down ? then you can
see where it is most effective without running the wing at a severe angle of attack (AOA) minimizing drag, also you can see the effect of downwash off the back of the wing. If you run a front splitter with the flat bottom going back as far as poss. it WILL
create down force, contributing to the already poor weight distrbution and if you run the wing at an exagerated AOA you will get the resultant drag,, maybe just try a few tricks with the rear wing and your existing front air dam, see how that feels,of that and as Gary says with the capability to measure true deflection would be the icing on the cake.
Dave

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: August 13, 2012 04:30PM

With the Arduino it would be very easy to hook up an LCD and a potentiometer (and a whole lot more).

[arduino.cc]

[www.arduino.cc]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 13, 2012 05:01PM

Quote:
...contributing to the already poor weight distribution...

Mine measures about 49/51... Mark's can't be too far off that. Is that poor? What's the target then?

v8bloke
Mark Rawlins

(75 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 13, 2012 05:49PM

wow this is getting interesting.
mine is 52/48 F/R i thought that was quite good.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Date: August 13, 2012 09:18PM

Those ARE good numbers, better than I thought,(obviously) the other, generally still applies however.
Dave

Todd McCreary
Todd McCreary

(207 posts)

03/16/2012 10:57PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Todd McCreary
Date: August 17, 2012 08:32AM

50 / 50 weight distribution is the optimal split for a front engine - rear drive car. it's not unusual for FWD cars to be over 60% on the front axle ... but then, their rear tires aren't doing a whole heck of a lot.

mine is 52/48 F/R i thought that was quite good.

and it IS pretty good. anything better than 55 / 45 is getting towards purpose built race car territory. it's normally kind of hard to get that much balance out of most cars because there's often a significant portion of the engine which sits forward of the center line of the front suspension.

Here are some photos would appreciate some feedback as to what you guys think.

you remember the Dodge Daytona / Plymouth Roadrunner from 1970?

it became somewhat of an "open secret" ( because the design got outlawed, so the engineer and aero guys didn't mind talking about it ) that the designers considered the UPRIGHTS to be almost more important than the wing itself. they acted as high speed stabilizers, just like you see on an airplane.

you can see some vestiges of this thought process on Cup cars today with the 'shark fin' that runs down the drivers side of the car..

as such, if you spend much time over 100mph you may want to consider full body uprights rather than those weight savers you're running now.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 17, 2012 11:38AM

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells airfoil shaped aluminum struts. That is what I used.

Jim

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Date: August 19, 2012 08:09PM

The cup cars are using this splitter effect trying which keep the air flow on the sides or deck,, the sharp edges create vortices which aid in that effect.
Dave

v8bloke
Mark Rawlins

(75 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 02, 2012 05:37PM

The new wing and splitter have had their first test.
Definateley reduced oversteer in fast turns.
[www.youtube.com]

Todd McCreary
Todd McCreary

(207 posts)

03/16/2012 10:57PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Todd McCreary
Date: September 02, 2012 07:56PM

Heh. I do believe I see a spinner at 1:10.

That's amazing how you're *murdering* that Evo in the corners. Is he running stock rubber?

It sounded like you're geared just a little short for the front stretch on that one dry pass near the end when you were pursuing. You ditch your passenger and I'm sure that will come into play a lot more often.
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.