(28 posts)

08/11/2012 05:20PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GM 2.8 V6

MGB 2.8 MPFI V6 conversion with BW T 5 Tranny
Posted by: NAS1966
Date: August 31, 2012 06:44PM

Hi,

I have been reading up on several issues and looked at a number of conversions, but still a few questions remain:

Which is the correct (best) ECM to use?

How do I synchronise the tranny's fiber gear ratio to my speedometer/tach?

How do I convert the Smith analog oil pressure gauge to an electronic one?

Which in tank fuel tank can I use? Someone had used one from an 1999 Malibu - are there other optional choices?

How difficult is it to rebuild the above tranny?

Should I use the OEM exhaust headers or get an aftermarket set and why?

Exhaust - should I use a Y pipe connection or should I run a dual system ( two seperate pipes ) ?

Those are just some issues I am about tackle with soon.

repairmeister

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Re: MGB 2.8 MPFI V6 conversion with BW T 5 Tranny
Posted by: BMC
Date: September 22, 2012 05:38PM

Hi Norbert,

The 2.8L V6 can be used but since the 3.4L is an easy find, more power and less confusion, I highly recommend searching for one of those either on [http:] or your local crasigslist. The easiest 3.4L conversion is from the 1993-95 Camaro/Firebird. When searching car-part, just search for a 1994 camaro and all others will be automatically searched for.

The 2.8L V6 T5 is okay and about the same as any other V6 T5 so you can use that and the bellhousing, shifter and other parts. The V6 T5 is best to eventually change the MGB 3.909:1 rear end gears out with gears for the 3.07:1 MC gears which can still be purchased new or used.

You dont mention which year MGB you have so some of your gauge questions have too many answers for this short time used to give answers.

Tank- use the MGB tank or Todd's tank which can be found on our site: [bmcautos.com]

Building your own internal can use any of several pumps but takes a lot of time and if you need to do a bunch of other work or purchase a number of other pieces, sometimes its not worth it. If you have the time, skills and tools, then it can be.

Personally I recommend a y pipe to a single exhaust because adding 30 pounds of weight, twice the work and parts and money to add 3 BHP does not give you enough power for the hassle. If dual exhaust is Your thing, do it! Conversions are quite often more about what we want then what we need.

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.