engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" and Costello V8s

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jewar
John Warlimont

(8 posts)

01/19/2011 03:05AM

Main British Car:

Fuel pump in tank efi rough install idea. Opinion's!
Posted by: jewar
Date: October 22, 2012 10:58AM

I came across a post on this forum on in tank fuel pump installation, posted by Scott Costanzo. Scott used a 94-98 VW Jetta pump and the profile was low enough, to keep the pump totally in the tank and not have any lines running above the tank. After checking with the local VW store, I purchased a later VDO pump for the VR6, it puts out 45 lbs psi. I cut the top off a old tank, and have been playing with a few ideas.
I have a new spectra tank,71-76 so no baffles. I plan on cutting a access on the flat surface, as it is a lot easier to fit a seal to the access there, than try and seal on the ribs.There is at least 1/2" clearance, if I need more I can move to the front of the tank and deal with the ribs but gain another inch which might be a better location as it would be the lowest spot.

Before I took it apart, my idea was to remove the vw fuel sender and use the late model pickup and sender, run the pressure line to the pickup and use the orignal 73 line as a return line and scrap the fuel sender that comes with the pump.

After looking at it I am having another idea,use the VW fuel sender probably a lot more accurate than a MG sender,cut the bracket off even with the pump,go to the oldstyle fuel sender and strip everything off the plate,drill for pickup tube and wires.Use original style seal and mounting ring.I will need to figure out what ohms the VW gauge needs.There is also a long spring in the top bracket, haven't really figured out the purpose unless it is for noise dampening. Still would use the original fuel outlet for return line.

I would use the two screws that hold the VW fuel sender to attach a bracket that would hold the pump to the bottom of the tank.

Credit goes to Scott for original idea, can anyone see anything that I am overlooking.

Still having to link to the MG Experience to get the pictures. Hopefully someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, pictures look to be around 32 kb, but keep getting message that I can't post picture over 600kb

[www.mgexperience.net]
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.