Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Installing the Feiro seats in MGB
Posted by: DonB
Date: October 28, 2012 09:07PM

I have set of Feiro seats to install. Thanks to all of you who let me have a "trial fitting" in your cars down in Texas.

Here's my concern... I'm 6'4" and the other side of 250#. As the car is down to the unibody and sans windscreen, I can only guess at the total height and concerned I'll be eating bugs as I stick out the top!

For those of you who have already accomplisted this task... did you use the entire Feiro rig, or... fabricate an adjustable base to lower the seat? Seems I I read where some might have used one of the universal kits offered by some of the aftermarket racing companies.
Your experiences please?
Thanks
Don B.
PS According to Mr. Mike (whom I will be utilizing) you also must swap L and R seats to clear seat back adjustment lever and loose the plastic housings.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: Installing the Feiro seats in MGB
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 28, 2012 09:48PM

I use the Fiero seat rails.

The seats do not sit that high for me.

The Fiero rails themselves are 1-3/4" high. You could possibly mount the seats directly to the floor and secure them from beneath using the four threaded holes found in the seat bottoms where the seat rails bolt to the seat to save this height, but you will not have any fore/aft adjustment should you choose this option. (I've seen it done once.)

How tall are the aftermarket rails you've looked into?

I did NOT use the MGB captive nuts in the floor...I positioned the seat rails back far enough to clear the crossmember on the bottom side of the car and drilled four new holes.

Yes, you need to swap the seats and throw away the plastic covers.

I would recommend getting the leather recline mechanism pulls from Mr.Mike when you order the covers.
Chicago Seat_8.jpg
Mantell Finished Resize.jpg
Fiero seat rebuild 14.jpg
Before and After.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 09:51PM by mowog1.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Re: Installing the Feiro seats in MGB
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: October 28, 2012 10:46PM

For all it's worth, a friend of mine has modified the floor pans by giving it a small sunken drop of about 1-1/2". When I went to visit him, I drove his MG and I thought that it definately did the trick. I'm 6' foot tall and 215 lbs and I felt like I was sitting a little low. He mounted his mufflers between the fuel tank and improvised for his fuel and brake lines. Another friend of mine that stands only at 5' foot 7" inches added a 1inch filler under the tracks. IMHO, It's just a matter of creative fabrication........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.